Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Does this look like a ceremonial weapon to you? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Does this look like a ceremonial weapon to you?         Reply with quote

This came up while doing light research (internet sources only, so far) on African arms and armor. The Gbaya culture created a rather interesting-looking weapon that seems to have been an attempt to make a sword with one cutting edge and one chopping edge. It sacrifices any possibility of an effective thrust, though, so I'm honestly not sure if it's a ceremonial weapon or not.

The first file is the weapon itself.

The second file (which I did not caption, by the way -- there is no way this blade's a throwing knife) shows a group of Gbayas posing for a European photographer (no idea what the original source was, worse luck). The tall guy to the center-right of the photo has one of these weapons, which suggests that they were used in warfare, but doesn't guarantee it.

Basically, I'd like some opinions from our expert community as to whether or not this is a practical or ceremonial weapon, please.

Attachment: 66.6 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 115.66 KB
[ Download ]

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
S Ghajar

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm definitely not an expert, but I've seen lots of pictures of these labelled as throwing knives and a quick glance at wikipedia confirms the common use of the label: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throwing_knife#Central_Africa

Edit to add: Here's a more reputable source: http://www.amazon.com/The-Cutting-Edge-Throwi...9054500077

"This skill," asked Kazan, "is it the horse's or the man's?" "The man's, lord," they said. "No! If the horse did not play its part the man could not vaunt himself; the skill belongs to the horse."
Kitabi Dede Korkut
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't see why it can't be a throwing "knife." It resembles a metal tomahawk, but with more edge. I see no reason you can't throw it just like a tomahawk.
"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quite frankly, it looks like an agricultural tool, comparable to a bilhook or pruning tool.
It probably works great for killing as well, if not figthing.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Does this look like ...         Reply with quote

Believe it is indeed a throwing knife. Appears to be too well done and decorated to be a common agricultural tool. There are over a dozen such items illustrated in Stones Glossary on pg. 614. with related text on pg. 615. And in Edged Weapons (Frederick Wilkinson-1970) pg. 181, there is a short commentary on throwing knives. Although there are probably hundreds of these still around, although similar, I suspect there are no two alike.

Never had much interest in African weapons and always passed on the opportunities to pick one up ... now regret those decisions; Tuareg swords in particular.

Regards,
Dan
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to respectfully disagree and argue that this is a sword rather than a throwing weapon. It looks like a variant of a kind of sword used in the Upper Nile/Congo Basin region in the late 1800s. Variations include the Zande mambeli and Ngombe girafe. These were definitely used as swords, together with shields. See for example Spring 1993.

http://www.forensicfashion.com/1860ZandeWarrior.html

http://www.forensicfashion.com/1878CongoleseWarrior.html

http://ForensicFashion.com/CostumeStudies.html

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Does this look like a ceremonial weapon to you?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic