Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > swords and Mexican customs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gordon Alexander

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: swords and Mexican customs         Reply with quote

Have any of you had experience with bringing a sword into Mexico? I have heard of folks having them shipped in and I know people that had expensive and large knives in their vehicles crossing the border but haven't heard of anyone flying in with one. The customs website mentions nothing on the subject that I could find. I live in Mexico - I am not risking losing a nice sword just to take it on vacation with me. The long term ex-pats that I have asked there tell me not to sweat it, but I sweat everything. Of course I have also asked a customs officer there but unfortunately my experience with government offices there have been completely different answers from different officers.
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: swords and Mexican customs         Reply with quote

have some extra cash on-hand for.. unexpected costs and it hopefully won't be a problem. I can't imagine you'll get a definitive answer out of anyone.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It really depends on exactly which airport you'll be flying into. I personally know some that would be be no problem. For some others, it might be wise to have cash on hand, as Tyler pointed out, for "additional fees".

I once had a difficult time convincing an official that the doggy toys / treats / leashes in my second carry-on really was for the local animal humane society. Watch out for the "additional fees".

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Gordon Alexander

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jun, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: swords and Mexican customs         Reply with quote

I made some changes to my order over the past few months and the sword was not ready before I returned to Mexico. I put a sewing machine and a long grabber thingy, among other things in the box I used for my checked luggage. Of course, they vanished somewhere along the way. I have heard that this is relatively common on AeroMexico.
Anyway, customs didn't hassle me after all.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jun, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anything is possible in Mexico with a bribe. It's essentially a lawless country that follows the "golden rule."

He who has the gold makes the rules.

Theft from luggage must be very common in Latin America, because only when I travel south of the border do I see those vendors that shrink-wrap your luggage to prevent theft.

What a collosal waste of plastic. Think of all of the plastic that ends up into Latino trash dumps, as if there wasn't enough plastic pollution already.

I would say that it would be best to ship something expensive, and make sure that it's insured.
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jun, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have flown out of Peru a few times with various machetes and knives. I realize you're flying in to Mexico, but traveling with blades is fine if you check your luggage. However, I would be leery of flying with anything of real value. If your sword(s) mean that much to you, I would recommend sending them through some system that is reliable.

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Anything is possible in Mexico with a bribe. It's essentially a lawless country that follows the "golden rule."

He who has the gold makes the rules.

Yes, low level corruption is quite rampant in Mexico and much of Latin America. I would argue the more dangerous and insidious forms of corruption are at the higher levels found throughout the world stage.

Although this is not the forum for this discussion (therefore this questions is rhetorical); I would ask you why is Mexico a lawless country? Being an intelligent person, I assume you do not believe that there is something inherently lawless about the people of Mexico or those "south of the border."

Harry Marinakis wrote:
What a collosal waste of plastic. Think of all of the plastic that ends up into Latino trash dumps, as if there wasn't enough plastic pollution already.

If one wants to talk about waste and pollution (material or energy), I believe we in the U.S. and China are the biggest offenders.

Cheers,

t.

Travis
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

^^^
I agree totally

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > swords and Mexican customs
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic