Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anduril back from the beauty parlor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Anduril back from the beauty parlor         Reply with quote

Kevin Cashen sent Anduril back freshly sharpened. The spot of corrosion was nothing major and he took it out. Here are some quick pics I got today. man I still love this sword

Joel

Attachment: 57.05 KB
DSCN3032.JPG

Attachment: 38.21 KB
DSCN3044.JPG

Attachment: 42.92 KB
DSCN3043.JPG

Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this the sword with the pommel by Patrick Hastings, the tree design? Why on earth have I never noticed how incredibly elegant it is?

Nice... Happy
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Yes Gabe         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Is this the sword with the pommel by Patrick Hastings, the tree design? Why on earth have I never noticed how incredibly elegant it is?

Nice... Happy

The sword was made by Kevin Cashen based on a blade I came up with. Patrick took the pommel design (which was originally round) and came up with an exquisite piece of art. The handle is rayskin with twisted gold and silver wire with an L-6 blade. It is a lively blade adn quite wide at the top, at 2 1/2". The other stats are as follows:
O.L. 47 1/4"
Blade Length: 36 1/4"
Handle Length: 8 1/2"
Pommel Height: 2 1/2"
Weight: 3 lbs 5oz
COB: 5 3/4" from the crossguard
COP: 22" from the cross

I think Kevin did a masterful job considering that he had no pommel weight while making the sword blade. This is a credit that Kevin knows about the harmonics of the blade. I remember him being concerned about how thick the lower part of the blade should be ground since he had no pommel weight. I can say without a doubt that harmonics are no problem. Having cut extensively with some of Gus' swords, Anduril shows no problems when cutting. Was it expensive? Yes, but what price do you put on a dream? The entire experience was also worth the money (which I might add was very reasonable considering the people working on it, the work put into it and the overall craftsmaship). Talking with Kevin on the phone about the deisgn, steel in general, LOTR and food Happy He is just a super guy to talk with. LIkewise Patrick was awesome to work with. He is supremely talented and carved that pommel out of a single block of metal! No casting. I also went back to Patrick Hastings when I coudl not find a suitable buckle for the belt fittings. YOu can see what he came up with below. Again, no casting, just carving metal the way only Patrick can do.

Attachment: 42.77 KB
DSCN1228small.jpg
Buckle for belt on Anduril's scabbard
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel,
Beautiful sword. I'm glad to see that the rust(?) on the blade came out so cleanly. Could you post a close up of the pommel? I would really like to see the white tree up close.

Ben
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Here ya go Ben         Reply with quote

Benjamin McCracken wrote:
Joel,
Beautiful sword. I'm glad to see that the rust(?) on the blade came out so cleanly. Could you post a close up of the pommel? I would really like to see the white tree up close.

Ben

Sure Ben. I have some pics somewhere of the pommel in various stages of finish. I'll try to find them. Oh on thing, the pommel is not a large thing it's 2 1/2" tall by 2 1/2" wide so you can appreciate the detailing in there.

Attachment: 50.02 KB
pommelsmall.jpg
A closeup view of the pommel by Patrick Hastings

Attachment: 31.39 KB
sidepommelsmall.jpg
The pommel from the side showing Patrick Hastings' maker's mark engraved.

Last edited by Joel Whitmore on Tue 30 Nov, 2004 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any pics of the whole scabbard/belt combination? That buckle is fantastic! Would love to see the whole package...
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Scabbard         Reply with quote

Glen S. Ramsay wrote:
Any pics of the whole scabbard/belt combination? That buckle is fantastic! Would love to see the whole package...

Kevin Cashen made a scabbard with the sword. It was leather over wood, plain back. Very nice. Early on I decided to put a belt on it. Unfortunately, I decieded on a 12th-13th-century integrated belt, which is probably not appropriate to this type of sword. So I put a colar on it and made my belt. Patrick made the buckle and fittings. So here is the result for better or for worse. Eventually I think I am going to get Christian Fletcher to make a new scabbard and belt for me.

Attachment: 27.49 KB
anduril scabbard.jpg

Attachment: 33.81 KB
Andurilcsabbard.jpg

Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel, I've said it before: your Anduril is much, much closer to my vision of the sword than the movie monstrosity!

Big Grin
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra pics, Joel. The whole package looks great together! But I'm sure Christian Fletcher could do something awesome as well....
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks Glen         Reply with quote

Glen S. Ramsay wrote:
Thanks for the extra pics, Joel. The whole package looks great together! But I'm sure Christian Fletcher could do something awesome as well....

Thanks for the niceties Glen. The Cashen scabbard is nice. Christian tends to make a more streamlined scabbard that I think would flatter the sword more. I like the one he made for the Ranger King. We talked about doing it with the belt and strap end Patrick made, but with more of a longsword suspension system. I think this would be easier to carry than mine and support the sword better. There's a reason for the way those old guys did things eh? Anyway, if I get this done in the spring expect more pics. Until then thanks fo rall the kind words. If anyone is contemplating a custom sword I would highly recommend Kevin Cashen. I know his schedule que is probably backed up, but he's and absolute gentleman to talk to and to work with. Patrick Hastings is of the same mold and this man knows his stuff too.

Joel

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anduril back from the beauty parlor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic