Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Concept Drawing for a new Signature sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Concept Drawing for a new Signature sword         Reply with quote

We did a few of these way back under the name Monarch with Gus Trim made blades though I had always intended this to be one of our regular production models. I have tweaked the design of the fittings and the blade is shorter than the original version. The scabbard design is not quite ready to be revealed yet but the blades for these have already landed here in Dallas and I am only waiting to get my fittings back from the foundry.
These will be hot peened assembled. For the fittings I made wax prototypes by hand and then made molds from the waxes. They are then sent to a foundry right here in the US. These are mild steel not stainless so I can now offer these in the regular finish, antiqued or blackened. This is a real step up from what we have done before so the scabbard designs will be a higher level as well. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this model.
I actually have a several new models that I will introduce this Summer so I will only be taking a few orders on each model so I can work on all of the new swords without becoming overrun. I figured the best way to do this would be to release a Pre-Production run limited to just 10 swords each model. I will take pre-orders up to 10 on each model and after I have completed the first 10 on each model I will then open up the rest of the swords to be sold. These will be available exclusively through the custom sword shoppe for the first runs. I should have the cart updated for the pre-orders by this coming weekend. After a model has been proven as a viable production design I will add it to my regular line. This way I wont have assets tied up in a slow moving design.
This is my new business model going forward. I think this is the best way for Valiant Armoury to grow in these economically hard times.

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks very good, Sonny. Of course, it looks very much like Records, XVIII.1, the Henry V funerary achievement sword.

I look forward to seeing the other new models.
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Valiant Armoury had a Crecy sword long before I ever bought the company. Not a favorite design of mine but I have always liked the name. That is why I have no apprehension using that name again even though there is another well known maker using Crecy as well. Mine will be built on a type XVa blade. This one uses the same recessed pommel as the new Monarch but has a wide down-turned bow tie guard that I think goes well with the overall concept I am shooting for.

www.valiant-armoury.com
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
it looks very much like Records, XVIII.1, the Henry V funerary achievement sword.

It does indeed, except that the Henry V has a large hollow pommel with a wide recess at its center, and a hollow ground blade.

Don't mean to throw a brick in the pond as we say in France, but the one thing that bothers me is that I struggle to see much difference with an Albion kingmaker. There are many other historical type XVIII swords out there to draw inspiration from Happy

Looking forward to see the new models too.

J
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not competing with Albion. You don't compete with Albion with Blades forged in China. What I have been planning for years and am now doing is redesigning old models from Valiant Armoury before I bought the company. VA had a Henry V for many years before. We had also done the Monarch with Gus Trim at one time This is a combination of those 2 swords. They are inspired by the Henry V so of course they will look similar. I just happened to want to use the name Monarch rather than Henry V for this one.

Thanks for your thoughts

Edited to remove an unfair assumption on my part Wink

www.valiant-armoury.com

Last edited by Sonny Suttles on Thu 06 Jun, 2013 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:
I am not competing with Albion. You don't compete with Albion with Blades forged in China. What I have been planning for years and am now doing is redesigning old models from Valiant Armoury before I bought the company. VA had a Henry V for many years before. We had also done the Monarch with Gus Trim at one time This is a combination of those 2 swords. They are inspired by the Henry V so of course they will look similar. I just happened to want to use the name Monarch rather than Henry V for this one.

This is one of the reasons I rarely post on this forum. Everyone here is Albion centric and few companies are taken as they are without that comparison.
Thanks for your thoughts

Everyone wants something unique, but then it's not historical enough so it is forbidden, etc. Passion for history has the risk of robbing the joy out of things at times.

Sonny I am glad you shared your new designs here. I am a big fan of the new blade types, especially the aptly-named Monarch.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are lots of people who would love to buy an Albion Kingmaker, but can't afford one. They can probably afford the Monarch. In my opinion, Valiant fills an important niche - selling real swords at mid- level prices. Just about every other sword by other makers at this price level has serious weight, blade geometry, and harmonic balance flaws.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Crecy looks awesome, Sonny! Can't wait to see it in steel, and these other designs in the works, sounds like you've been busy! Will it have a diamond cross section or hollow grind?
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Sonny. I've always thought that Records XVIII.1 was one of the most attractive swords ever. As to the comparison to the Albion Kingmaker, so? After all, Arms & Armor has had the Henry V in its lineup, I think, longer than anyone. It is a beautiful sword and the availability of quality interpretations of the design at several price points is something to be lauded.
'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:

This is one of the reasons I rarely post on this forum. Everyone here is Albion centric and few companies are taken as they are without that comparison.
Thanks for your thoughts

Using the word "everyone" paints "everyone" here with the same brush, which is unfair. Please don't try to assume that this forum's thousands of readers and posters all believe or want the same things.

No one should care if you copy the same historical sword as anyone else. No one has a monopoly on a historical design. I think people will get more upset if you copy someone else's modern design, but I don't think you're doing that personally.

I think it's a beautiful design whether it's modeled after the Henry V sword, which I adore or one of the other Type xviii swords that Albion used for inspiration.

I think the Valiant Armoury stuff, especially now that they're peened and have mild steel fittings, are great and fill a needed niche in the market. If I had room in my collection and money to spend (I have neither Sad ), I'd seriously consider buying from you guys.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, Albion's Kingmaker isn't based on the Henry V sword. Same family, different specs, and different source of inspiration.
Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:
Valiant Armoury had a Crecy sword long before I ever bought the company. Not a favorite design of mine but I have always liked the name. That is why I have no apprehension using that name again even though there is another well known maker using Crecy as well.

Looks pretty nice! As far as the name, there are plenty of Crecy swords on the market: Darksword, CASI/Hanwei, Albion, Museum Replicas, Gen 2 and probably others. No one can lay exclusive claim to the name of a French city that happened to have a fairly famous battle fought near it. I just hope all these models with the same names don't cause marketplace confusion.

Happy

ChadA

Julien M

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sonny,

I did not mean to imply that you purposely copied an Albion model. I also realize that reproduction of swords based on the Henry V (or sisters swords as they are a bunch) will ultimately share common features. To some extent. Just think the previous signature models had a more distinct visual identity (Bristol, Actium etc).

Sonny Suttles wrote:

You seem to have made up your mind already, however I don't believe that's true. I myself couldn't afford to be "Albion centric" if I wanted to. I've shown interest in the valiant signature line on more than one occasion on this very forum. In fact I think the VA signature and the Hanwei tinker are among the most interesting production lines around these days (teaming with renowned makers, making their design affordable to many etc.).

I'll leave it at that, and for what it's worth, I like your Crecy design quiet a bit.

J
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny - will the peen blocks be separate or forged into the pommel?
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually I built molds both ways. I have to wait until I get the fittings back before I decide which way I plan to go for the peen blocks William.

Here is another remake.
The Valor

www.valiant-armoury.com
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice. Looks like a bigger Bristol?

Last edited by P. Schontzler on Thu 06 Jun, 2013 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jun, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:

You seem to have made up your mind already, however I don't believe that's true. I myself couldn't afford to be "Albion centric" if I wanted to. I've shown interest in the valiant signature line on more than one occasion on this very forum. In fact I think the VA signature and the Hanwei tinker are among the most interesting production lines around these days (teaming with renowned makers, making their design affordable to many etc.).

J

You are right and I have removed that statement from my post. Nathan has already reminded be not to generalize here so my apologies.

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jun, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wowowowow, I really like the Valor sword! Two quick questions for you: When will these swords and specifically the valor be available and will you be using a distributor based in the EU to sell these swords or would I have to order directly from the states?

Thanks!
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jun, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blades have landed here in Dallas so it will be pretty quick for these. The pre production run of these will be available exclusively through the Custom Sword Shoppe here:
http://www.customswordshoppe.com/shoppe/index.php?cPath=1
They are not up yet but will be soon and when they are, we do ship to Europe Happy
Thanks
Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jun, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Np Sonny. To be fair and reading my initial post again I find it rather clumsy and not particularly constructive.
The valor looks pretty awesome.

J

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Concept Drawing for a new Signature sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: