Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Agincourt Novel Just Released Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Thu 23 May, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: New Agincourt Novel Just Released         Reply with quote

Hi all,
I wanted to make everyone aware that my new novel,Shield of Honor, was just released this week by Sky Warrior Book Publishing, LLC (not a self-pub) under my pen name L. J. Bonham. It is available in e-book format from Amazon, Smash Words, and Barnes & Noble. From now until 6/1/13 you can get this exciting book from Smash Words for 50% off the cover price of $2.99(U.S.) with promo code GR37V. Please tell your friends. Here is the back cover blurb.

Shield of Honor
The only thing standing between you and home are 30,000 angry French knights.

Young Edward De Clopton is the sole surviving heir to his family's wealth and position in England, but he doesn't want the job. His father thinks he's a bumbling idiot. His enemies think he's the last obstacle to power and wealth. His mentor, one of the most renowned warriors in England, thinks he's an annoying burden. His girl friend thinks he's a play thing.

After the murder of his eldest brother, Edward is thrown into a world of scheming lords, traitorous knights, powerful seductive women, and paranoid kings. Unwillingly caught in the struggle between two mighty empires Edward must follow his father and uncle to France to fight at the king's side while being stalked by an assassin. Can he survive long enough to earn his father's respect and save a kingdom from destruction?

The book is set around Henry V's French campaign of 1415 and reaches its climax at the battle of Agincourt. Please keep in mind that it is a work of fiction and not intended as a historical account. Please feel free to post reviews on Good Reads, Historicalnovel.com, Amazon, etc. Enjoy!

"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 May, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool! Best of luck with the novel!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Mon 27 May, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Very cool! Best of luck with the novel!

Thanks for the encouragement, Ian. Make sure you use that promo code for Smash Words to get 50% off your copy prior to June 1. I look forward to hearing your comments about the book. Shield of Honor is climbing quickly and nearing the top in the Historical Fiction genre on Amazon's sales charts. I just returned from a very successful launch at MisCon 27 in Missoula, Montana, one of The North West's premier Science-fiction/Fantasy conventions, where the book was very well received. Many of the people who attended readings of the book were impressed with the depth of research I put into it.

"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Tue 28 May, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I downloaded a sample last night to start reading and it sucked me right away. Well done sir! I look forward to reading the rest of it.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 May, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seeing as I am off to do a reenactment at Kentwell Hall in 3 weeks and the reason I started on this history path, which is the seat of the Clopton family, I guess I better buy a copy!

[url] www.kentwell.co.uk [/url]

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Thu 30 May, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry, is there a reproduction sword that inspired your description of Eward's epee de bastard?
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry, is there a reproduction sword that inspired your description of Eward's epee de bastard? From P. Schontzler.

Yes, my Albion Mercenary. It is a fantastic sword; quick and agile. I did have to beef up the grip with an extra wrap to better fit my hand.

Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry, what is your take on the personality of HenryV? (I know, read the book to find out)

He was a much more complex man than the Super Scoutmaster depicted in Shakespeare. Formidably efficiant and intelligent, rather cold and extremely pious - the financial interests in England were pleased with him, as he quickly put the country on firm economic footing after the problems of his father's reign. Unfortunately, his war with France, while gathering lots of loot, was bad for England in the long run. He was also very tough on heresy - good if one was very orthodox, but bad for Lollards.

I remember Desmond Seward saying something along the lines of - his subjects admired and even feared him, but few liked him as a person.
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Larry, what is your take on the personality of HenryV? (I know, read the book to find out)

He was a much more complex man than the Super Scoutmaster depicted in Shakespeare. Formidably efficiant and intelligent, rather cold and extremely pious - the financial interests in England were pleased with him, as he quickly put the country on firm economic footing after the problems of his father's reign. Unfortunately, his war with France, while gathering lots of loot, was bad for England in the long run. He was also very tough on heresy - good if one was very orthodox, but bad for Lollards.

I remember Desmond Seward saying something along the lines of - his subjects admired and even feared him, but few liked him as a person.

Roger, I think you summed up things quite well. Henry was a man, and leader, of his time. His personal motto; Deus et mon Droyt, God and my Right, offers a view into his personality. He was a fierce warrior as evidenced by his role at the battle of Shrewsbury, in which he was wounded, and his actions at Agincourt. But like most monarchs of his time, he ruled through what modern westerners would consider outright thuggery.

My book does not deal directly with Henry, but rather the experiences of the fictional protagonist, Edward de Clopton. Henry is more of a supporting character whose actions move the plot along and give rise to some of Edward's problems and actions. I think that Shakespeare dealt with Henry sufficiently in his play to make any other literary attempts to focus solely on him a bit futile. That is the primary reason I worked around Henry rather than through him. I wanted to tell a story of youth turning to adulthood set within the framework of the 15th century, warts and all, and not just dramatize the history we all familiar with.[/i]

Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Agincourt Novel Just Released
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic