Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > H/T single hander blade on a baskethilt? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: H/T single hander blade on a baskethilt?         Reply with quote

This may belong in Historical Arms Talk, but I'll post it here. I have a VERY old India-made Scottish baskethilt---maybe an old Windlass or Deepeeka---that has served me well for years. The basket is beautiful, but the blade is....so-so. I'm thinking of remounting it with the H/T single handed sword blade, from KOA. Would this be just totally off for a Claymore? The basket is brass, Culloden-style, and polishes up like gold. Anyone ever mounted a basket with the H/T EMSH blade? It's just for Ren-Fest carry, and I really don't give a rat-arse about authenticity....but I don't want it to be totally stoopid. Laughing Out Loud Thoughts? ..........Thanks fellas.......McM
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's not very authentic, but that's not important to you. It should be OK for your purposes. Is the tang going to be long enough? An alternative would be the H/T bastard blade, which you can get with or without a fuller.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to point out that there are lots of variants of basket hilts.

Do something that makes you love your sword, I bought the top right and made the top left.

Baskets be fun my friend

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:

Do something that makes you love your sword, I bought the top right and made the top left.

Baskets be fun my friend

David...

Your top left sword looks just like some which were pictured in the Penicuik drawings, apparently rendered from actual observation of Highland troops during "The '45." They were called turcaich blades in Gaelic probably translating as Turk or Turkish blades. I believe I have seen photos of a couple of these blades but do not remember where. The Swords and the Sorrows does have a photo of a basket hilt with a saber blade installed but I think the blades in the Penicuik drawings are of a different species entirely.

Nice looking swords. Do you ever take them to any NC Highland Games where we might run into each other?

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Rodger and Dave. I think I'm gonna do it. My main interest , at this point, for this particular sword, is to have a badass cutter that's tough and well built. Possibly even over-built. The tang on the H/T blade is plenty long....so much so that I may wind up hot-peening the pommel...doing away with the threads altogether. Just got a PM from a fine fellow with a nice Hanwei blade and scabbard. Gotta do some weighing out now. BUT....my basket WILL have a new cleaver in front of it...one way or another! Laughing Out Loud ..Thanks for the replies!!!.......McM
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
David Lewis Smith wrote:

Baskets be fun my friend

David...

Your top left sword looks just like some which were pictured in the Penicuik drawings, apparently rendered from actual observation of Highland troops during "The '45." They were called turcaich blades in Gaelic probably translating as Turk or Turkish blades. I believe I have seen photos of a couple of these blades but do not remember where. The Swords and the Sorrows does have a photo of a basket hilt with a saber blade installed but I think the blades in the Penicuik drawings are of a different species entirely.

Nice looking swords. Do you ever take them to any NC Highland Games where we might run into each other?

I am in North Carolina, we have several games here, plus Georgia and Virginia

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Thank you, Rodger and Dave. I think I'm gonna do it. My main interest , at this point, for this particular sword, is to have a badass cutter that's tough and well built. Possibly even over-built. The tang on the H/T blade is plenty long....so much so that I may wind up hot-peening the pommel...doing away with the threads altogether. Just got a PM from a fine fellow with a nice Hanwei blade and scabbard. Gotta do some weighing out now. BUT....my basket WILL have a new cleaver in front of it...one way or another! Laughing Out Loud ..Thanks for the replies!!!.......McM

I am not a fan of Hanwei Euro blades at all.

Albion Swords has bare blades for less than 200$ take a look there. And Mike is great to deal with

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up on that too. Myself, personally, have problems with pretty much anything Albion. (Don't ask...ain't goin' there.) I'll stick with a good Hanwei, or a DelTin, if I can find the right deal. Thanks again all ! .....McM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > H/T single hander blade on a baskethilt?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic