Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard and vertical suspension for a langsax? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tyler Keich

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Scabbard and vertical suspension for a langsax?         Reply with quote

Recently I obtained a langsax, and am wondering how to go about making the scabbard, which seems somewhat straight forward, and the vertical suspension so I can wear it upright against my body. If anyone could post any diagrams or how they've gotten their set up, and some links to places I could purchase brass and leather for the scabbard, I'd appreciate it!
One other thing I wondered was, would it be accurate to have it wood core?

Thanks,
Tyler
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might want to take a look at the excelent materials about seaxes prepared by Jeroen Zuiderwijk:

http://1501bc.com/files/saxes/lecture_saxes_final.ppt
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sat 04 May, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, you have a preference for vertical carry? I myself have often found horizontal carry to be awkward, so I can easily understand why you might want a vertical carry set-up. Here are a few pics you might find interesting. The pressblech is from Gutenstein, and is from a century or two before the longseax became prevalent. The only pictoral evidence we have AFAIK for langseax suspension is the Stuttgart Psalter, which seems to show belt suspension at a moderate angle.

Langobardian seax often have wood-cored scabbards, as do some of the seax from Vendel period Scandinavia. I remember that at least one broadsax was found with the remains of a wood-cored scabbard, I believe it was found in the Netherlands. I am not sure off the top of my head if any longseax have been found with wooden scabbard remains. Hope this helps.

Attachment: 129.87 KB
Gutenstein_warrior.jpg

Attachment: 109.74 KB
[ Download ]
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I get leather from my local saddle shop. Most horse tack merchants will have it, plus leather strapping and tie strings. The brass strips can be had from artist supply stores , as well as copper sheets and copper and brass rods for making rivets. At least here where I'm from, anyway. A quick web search of 'Texas Knifemakers Supply' should get you most of what you need, and they are very inexpensive. I buy from them often, and have always had good luck. Best....McM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard and vertical suspension for a langsax?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic