Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question on the albion epee de guerre. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Question on the albion epee de guerre.         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've researched multiple forums and and even read albions website of course. I'm just curious if anyone here has any experience with an albion epee de guerre and if so have they used it one-handed? What did they think about the potentiality to use such a sword with a shield specifically a heater shield? Thank you all very much for your time.

Best regards,

Barrett Hiebert
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go try it yourself and report the results to us. Big Grin Anyway, it should theoretically be possible to wield the Epee de Guerre one-handed, shield or no shield. It's probably going to be a little on the sluggish side but not to the extent of being unusable.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Barrett,

I do not think the Epée de Guerre is very well suited for single hand use with a shield.
You could deliver a few strokes with it single handed, but I do not think you would like to use it like that for any extended period of time.
It shares this character with other large swords swords of this type. They are primarily intended for two handed use, even if you can deliver blows with one hand as well.
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply all.

Well I'm going to try it! I like your dangerous thinking Mr.Curtis! ;P Start off with the sword first then if I develop the strength, control, necessary finesse then I'll pick up a heater shield.

Thanks for chiming in too Peter. I remember discussing with you that you can make wide long training swords like a tritonia sized blade but make a larger handle to offset the size of the blade providing greater counter balance. Isn't that what has happened with an albion epee de guerre in essence? Or is it not the same as would be a training equivalent for a tritonia due to difference in mass distribution and distal taper?

Best regards,

Barrett Hiebert

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question on the albion epee de guerre.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic