Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Henwei Viking Sword blade blank custom Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jason Torres

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Henwei Viking Sword blade blank custom         Reply with quote

Hey. this is my first post on this site. I am new to the world of swords and very interested in learning as much as i can. I am wanting to buy the Henwei Viking Blade Blank from KoA and wanted to add the hilt/pommel myself. i have metal working and wood working experience.
The question i have is, has anyone attempted to make a a medieval style sword (ex.single hand Excalibur) from a viking blade?
I love the look and shape of the Henwei Viking Blade but i would really love to make a single hand or longsword with one. with the tang being so short i am settling for a single hand one instead. i wanted the blade to be at least 30inches and the handle longer then the norm. i like the look of long handled swords as seen in Game of thrones.

any suggestions?
thank you in advance.

Regards
Jason
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe the Tinker viking is a 30" blade, so if you wanted an extra long handle I imagine you would have to weld and extension to the current tang, otherwise you would have to steal from the blade length to increase your tang. The tinker viking has a lot of distal taper and gets quite thin in thickness the last 3rd of the length towards the tip - FYI.

Another option would be to get a Tinker Great Sword of war. I know others have chopped this large blade down and turned it into a viking sword with great results. It has an extremely long handle/tang so you would have a lot to work with both in terms of blade length as well as tang.

check this thread -
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=24155
Jason Torres

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you for the reply. i am looking at the thread now
regards,

Jason
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to myArmoury. Albion's type XVI blade blank would be an excellent basis for a Game of Thrones sword. I have been rolling the same idea around myself, for fantasy swords the GoT swords look really good. I especially like the sword of Brienne of Tarth myself. The Hanwei Tinker GSOW's blade is really nice too, if you want a less tapered blade and longer fuller. Here are some pics of my own beginning projects with the Albion XVI and the GSOW.

Attachment: 132.46 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 112.81 KB
[ Download ]
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott, is your Albion XVI one of the new bare blades with the profile taper reworked, or is it a moat sale next gen?
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Tue 26 Mar, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan, it is just a standard bare blade blank. The profile has indeed been changed quite a bit, with the the base narrowed very slightly and the point made very pointy. I tried to get as much convexity to the edge as I could, while the blank came with very straight edges tapering to an ogival point about 3/4" wide. As the blank comes, the shape is much more similar to the GoT blades.
Jason Torres

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies Gents.
ok.. so after a few days of looking and researching (and being hard headed) i ended up buying the Windlass Robin Hood sword. i Saw everything that was said about it good and mostly bad. I bought it with the intentions to make it better. I love the sword in the movie but the Windlass one needs some work to it.
First thing i would like to do is disassemble it and cut the threaded end of the pommel.
Second. i want to cut off some of the shoulders to the blade itself. ( Question, will this effect the temper of the blade or any ill effects on the blade?
the Sword is 40 1/8 inches long with the blade being 33 1/8 inches.
so before i get the sword, i estimated that the threaded part is 1 3/4" long. that means i would have to cut that same amount of the shoulders of the blade making the blade roughly 31" long..not too bad in length for that type of sword.
then i want to change the stones in the hilt with the correct colored ones. in the movie, they were a brownish color, like moonstones. The purpose of this is to make it more movie accurate then just stock and more real life functional

Does anyone have any experiences with this Robin Hood sword ? any pics of it with out the grip on it?
what type of metal is the pommel and grip? i plan on hot peening it after cutting the shoulders down and refitting the grip and pommel.

thank you all in advance.
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Torres wrote:
Thank you for the replies Gents.
ok.. so after a few days of looking and researching (and being hard headed) i ended up buying the Windlass Robin Hood sword. i Saw everything that was said about it good and mostly bad. I bought it with the intentions to make it better. I love the sword in the movie but the Windlass one needs some work to it.
First thing i would like to do is disassemble it and cut the threaded end of the pommel.
Second. i want to cut off some of the shoulders to the blade itself. ( Question, will this effect the temper of the blade or any ill effects on the blade?
the Sword is 40 1/8 inches long with the blade being 33 1/8 inches.
so before i get the sword, i estimated that the threaded part is 1 3/4" long. that means i would have to cut that same amount of the shoulders of the blade making the blade roughly 31" long..not too bad in length for that type of sword.
then i want to change the stones in the hilt with the correct colored ones. in the movie, they were a brownish color, like moonstones. The purpose of this is to make it more movie accurate then just stock and more real life functional

Does anyone have any experiences with this Robin Hood sword ? any pics of it with out the grip on it?
what type of metal is the pommel and grip? i plan on hot peening it after cutting the shoulders down and refitting the grip and pommel.

thank you all in advance.

I don't have experience with the Robin Hood blade, but I have a Windlass Create your Own and used to have the Sword of Guy from the movie Kingdom of Heaven, both of which seem to be essentially the same blade as the Robin Hood movies swords, just with different fullers. Same length, same diamond cross section at the tip, same width.

I like the blade on both the swords I had, some flex but not whippy. Not a lot of distal taper but there seemed to be some. I nearly bought one of the Robin Hood swords for a project blade myself. I actually think they look pretty nice. I can't speak to the type of metal used for the pommel of the Robin Hood...it has to be cast...so it could be just about anything I suppose, I doubt its mild steel though.

One thing to consider if you plan on peening is you will obviously have to drill through the pommel so you may lose a bit more total length to account for the extra bit of tang going completely through the pommel as opposed to its current configuration being threaded and screwed on to the tang.

Good luck on the project and please post progress pics if possible.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If threaded part of the pommel isn't too thin and fragile you might not need to cut it off, maybe you could just smooth the threads down...
Jason Torres

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the replies Gents. from what it looks like in other pics (im not home yet to see the sword) it looks like it is a welded threaded rod on a tang

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Henwei Viking Sword blade blank custom
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic