Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > RIP NetSword (Long live Netsword) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: RIP NetSword (Long live Netsword)         Reply with quote

Some may remember that during the past few years there had been no new traffic at NetSword and at that time, it was indicated there was an issue in something got tweaked and then broken. Before that, Wizard had made an apeparance at SFI and invited interested parties to discuss if NetSword would remain viable at all.

At any rate, the domain is currently inactive and access to the old data will only be available through archive.org

For a for instance, some of the old pages Wizard had most recently removed from the main site such as the old ATrim reviews.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080610190438/htt...ntest.html

The old features page is still available via the same medium, including the famous Paul Chen chat
http://web.archive.org/web/20110718093120/htt...tures.html

The board itself may be harder to read though and a the most recent snapshot fails to access subfrorums
http://www.netsword.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had sort of gone backward into finding the various boards themselves and after firts appraising the JApanese style swords of the late 1990s, was first drawn to antique sites, then Viking Sword and the Fordham university Medieaval Sourcebook.

Not to forget www.sirclisto.com.

At any rate, from Viking Sword, I had initially skimmed past the Higlander board to read at NetSword. Sometime after that, the early version of SFI was up and running with the threaded view. Another note there is that the old SFI front page is currently pretty much non-functional as the www.swordforum.com front bage is still basically an ongoing project.

NetSword was when I had first introduced my own early follies and interests, so there is always going to be a bit of a soft spot. I know there are quite a list of folks here that were also part of the old NetSword community, so I raise a glass to memories past.

Cheers

GC
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that!
It's been ages since I've been there... still, one less sword-related forum makes us a bit poorer for the lack of it.
And all those memories.... the review of swords by Gus Trim (No, I mean swords reviewed BY Gus, not reviews of swords made by Gus. This is back when he was just getting into sword making), the Paul Chen chat, and... wasn't the Ewart Oakeshott chat also on netsword? I seem to remember it was. What a monumental event that was....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Working with archive,org might pull out those few Ewart Oakeshott threads and replies, as well as a lot of other truly good

I saw Mac roaming around in the past weeks and some of those old Scott Bubar, Bjorn and other topical discussions were about waht laid a real foundation for many looking towards swords as interests. Patrick as well a formative catalyst in my first looking at modern reproducitons with quite a few of his reviews in the performance subforum.

We can''t go home, as they say. another reminder mentioned ot me long ago and as true today. These are the good old days (ever evolving).

Cheers

GC
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yes - NetSword! I remember it all too well. The discussions were at a surprising high level (sometimes). Although I must admit that I have advanced my knowledge by several magnitudes since those times. I can't remember when I joined but I think it was somewhere in the nineties. My nick back then was Lue.

So yes - I raise my glass in remembrance.

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Netsword is back up and previous active threads can still be added to.

Cheers

GC
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Netsword is back up and previous active threads can still be added to.

Cheers

GC

Since Netsword is back up maybe the Topic title should be edited to reflect this fact so that someone just reading the Topic title won't be led to believe that it's still dysfunctional or extinct ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
George B.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Terribly sorry for resurrecting the old thread.

Some may be interested in the fact that www.netsword.com is currently live and I'm working on restoring the content on the forum. I'm doing this manually so if anyone would like to tell me which parts of the forum I should pay particular attention to (I may miss something) - please do so. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do old Netsword forum members need to re-register?
George B.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Do old Netsword forum members need to re-register?

Unfortunately yes, as I do not have a database the previous forum owner used. Everything will have to be restored by hand.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi George

My feelings are that the block of Medieval Weapons probably has the most timesless information. Look for threads that had many replies. There is though no need (in my mind) to restore anything in the MArketplace, as anuthing there will be outdated and pretty much irrelevant.

Of the Miscellaneous Historical Discussions, the subforum for Medieval Warfare always had the most traffic of that index but there may be a few pearls in other parts of that part of the index. The Rligion section, for intance.

Of the Technical Discussions, mostly outdated stuff. I have not looked through the site with archive ,org lately but that may pull up whatever one wants to read again..

for instance the old weapons review pages (slim even then)
http://web.archive.org/web/20080610190438/htt...ntest.html

Or even the old forum index as late as August 2012
http://web.archive.org/web/20120818192511/htt...timate.cgi

Nope I guess not but one can spot old threads. I'll try re-registering.

I had chatted with Wizard a little bit back when he was going on about 911. IN between that, had found an index or two he had removed as outdated but like the old Gus Trim reviews, still readable..

Cheers

Glen C. aka Hotspur
George B.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is great info, I'll keep that in mind next week when I'm copying over the info! Thanks!
George B.

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a question:

does anyone have a way of contacting Wizard (the previous forum owner) ? I'd like to know if I could possibly get partial or full forum database. Seems like a lot of entries from the archive.org aren't showing up and I'd like to restore as much as possible.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, there is a profile contact for IC Koets. He was the last acting administrator.
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/member.php?29366-I-C-Koets

Not active there since 2011 but he may still have pm set to ping him.

The only email address for Koets is from an even earlier timeline but I will send that to you via pm here.

The conversations I had with Wizard were either in pm or email but I can't find anything in my records and the real name also lost in my gray matter somewhere.

Maybe one or both will find you on the new board.

pm on the way

GC
George B.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Well, there is a profile contact for IC Koets. He was the last acting administrator.
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/member.php?29366-I-C-Koets

Not active there since 2011 but he may still have pm set to ping him.

The only email address for Koets is from an even earlier timeline but I will send that to you via pm here.

The conversations I had with Wizard were either in pm or email but I can't find anything in my records and the real name also lost in my gray matter somewhere.

Maybe one or both will find you on the new board.

pm on the way

GC

great. I've emailed him already, let's hope he's alive, well and able to reply to my email Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > RIP NetSword (Long live Netsword)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic