Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What broad axes are on the market? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: What broad axes are on the market?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone:

I have another hobby dealing with woodworking. I might have a chance to get an entire pine tree trunk from which I can cut planks. One tool I will need is a broad axe.

To my astonishment, the only qualtiy broad axe I can find (and actually has a broad blade) is a Granfors broad axe. However, it is very expensive for me ~ $300 U.S. I assume Granfors must make high quality axes for such a high price. All I know is they are made in Sweden.

My question is does anyone else make broad axes like Granfors? I honestly had no idea axes could be so expensive. It is a classic case of sticker shock. I thought I was doing good owning an Estwing axe (with its metal haft) from the hardware store, but I obviously must have low standards. I'm simply surprised a modern working axe costs more than a quality A&A replica item. I guess I'll look at A&A's axes again. Does anyone use those for actual work instead of eye candy?

Sincerely,
Dustin Faulkner

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Peter O Zwart

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first thing that pops into my head is check your local antique markets, that is if you don't mind putting a new handle in and using an antique. I know my local antique market has them occasionally. Quick google search reveals there are a few people that make them for similar prices to the Granfors axe
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The A&A Danish War Axe is only $285. I love it! I was in the same situation you were in for a while. I say wait till you have enough money to buy an axe you really want. You can't go wrong with A&A or Gransfors. Also, if you want a real quality viking/anglo broad axe maybe contact Jim Austin, he's the top maker of axes right now and reconstructs them to period accuracy and their tough as nails. (If you're willing to spend the money...)
Olov Tidemalm

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is ordering from europe an option?
Dictum sell both Gränsfors and S.A Wetterlings broad axes.

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/category/Zimm...2_3577.htm

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What broad axes are on the market?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic