Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: Odinblade Steerboard/Morrigan Hybrid Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Crusader Monk: Odinblade Steerboard/Morrigan Hybrid         Reply with quote

I just finished up the work on this Odinblade Steerboard/Morrigan Hybrid, or perhaps it could be called a Steerorrigan, or maybe even a Morriboard. Anyway, you get the point. This would be a very loose definition really, because though there are qualities from each sword, it's not an exact merging of the two. This does not effect the fact that it's still a very nice leaf blade which is very powerful, yet still aptly nimble in the hand. The sword has a very simple, yet elegant and ancient beauty to it, without being an over the top cheezy fantasy piece. When I think of Gurthang in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Children Hurin tale, something like this comes to mind. Anyway, enough on that topic.

I finished up the poplar core, which is always challenging on a leaf blade because of the varying width of the tip and shoulders. The risers were worked up to be smooth on the outside, yet be rougher and unrefined on the inside, make it look antiquated and giving a bit of an optical illusion.

The suspension was crafted to start out a dark shade of brown and fade up toward being tan, which again gives an interesting antique aesthetic. The suspension has been aged and broken in, as if it has already been worn for some time. This type of baldric is my personal favorite form of suspension, because it allows for larger swords to be comfortably worn all day, easy dismounting/mounting of the sword for wear, and allows the sword to the manipulated easily in large crowds. I do many events throughout the year, and for me, this suspension just works perfectly.

The chape is shaped mild steel finished to the same finish as the blade.

This sword is ready to for some high adventure! Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work, as usual! I like the scabbard and the chape, however, I think that the baldric attachment with the rivets and rings look a bit too modern - I think that if rings are used, the straps should be fixed not with rivets through leather but there ought to be some sort of brass or other metallic plate under the rivetheads, maybe decorated? That would really add to the more "medievalistic" look of the entire set.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artis Aboltins wrote:
Nice work, as usual! I like the scabbard and the chape, however, I think that the baldric attachment with the rivets and rings look a bit too modern - I think that if rings are used, the straps should be fixed not with rivets through leather but there ought to be some sort of brass or other metallic plate under the rivetheads, maybe decorated? That would really add to the more "medievalistic" look of the entire set.

Thanks for the compliment. I agree that the package looks a bit too contemporary - I don't have access to more period fittings currently. But, given thought to this, in all the fittings, I used Chicago Screws. This way, all of the fittings could in theory be easily replaced by the customer with something which look a little more historical later - the screws simply undo and leave the strap ends for decorating later if desired. Not perfect, but somewhat of a solution until I get a reliable fitting vendor! Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice sword and scabbard - but of course, I am biased as it is mine. Cool

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: Odinblade Steerboard/Morrigan Hybrid
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic