Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Evolution Arms : In Stock Atrims Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marc Ridgeway

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Evolution Arms : In Stock Atrims         Reply with quote

You know it must be Christmas when there are Atrims in Stock!!

Evolution Arms is happy to have accepted delivery of a small shipment of Evolution Grade Atrims. This means some folks must have been truly good this year to be getting Atrims for Christmas,

Each of these is precision milled from 5160 steel , and finished by hand. They are given an aerospace heat-treatment to 60-62 HRC and selectively tempered. They are buffed to an Evolution grade high polish , and mounted with heat -blued fittings and custom wrapped grips and hot-peened.

Each is truly Evolution Grade.

These will be up on Torion Sword's website tomorrow.

XIIIa

This beast of a sword dances , in two hands or one. Surprisingly so. It is another testament to Gus's wizardry with weaponry. I truly wish that this sword was going to be mine... but alas it was not destined to be so.

Unavailiable

Blade : 35.8 in.
Grip : 8 in.
Weight : 3 lbs 4 oz
POB : 6 in

Marc Kaden Ridgeway

Last edited by Marc Ridgeway on Sun 23 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2 Handed Saber

Before these swords shipped out, they were taken to a longsword practice group. This sword was the pick of the group . Super fast and nimble , this saber has a yelman as sharp as the true edge.

Availiable : $925

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two - Handed Falchion

This is a awesome chopper with twin blackened fullers. It is agile, but hard hitting. This would be a great sword for a katana fan as the size, weight and POB are very similar

Availiable $950

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Marc

Quote:
Each of these is precision milled from 5160 steel , and finished by hand. They are given an aerospace heat-treatment to 60-62 HRC and selectively tempered.

60-62 would be about high quench hardness for 5160. Is that what you mean to write? Gus' working edges are usually less than 55, so It begs asking. I know Tinker was selectively tempering some blades but he was also doing stock rmoval with pre treated blanks. A 60-62 edge hardness will frustrate some hand sharpeners Wink

Cheers

GC
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Glen,

Yes , these were all hardened to the low 60s and drawn back selectively in the tang , shoulders , tip and spine. I can dig up the old correspondence from Gus as to exactly what numbers he is drawing the temper back to in particular areas , if it is of interest.

This , like most of the Evolution Arms pieces thus far, mark a departure from the typical ATrim heat treatment.

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edge hardness will be nice to know.
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is what Gus reports

Quote:
Differential tempered. 54rc at the point, 48rc at the spine, shoulder, and tang, and 60rc at the edge.

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc Ridgeway wrote:
Two - Handed Falchion

This is a awesome chopper with twin blackened fullers. It is agile, but hard hitting. This would be a great sword for a katana fan as the size, weight and POB are very similar.

That... looks... AWESOME!!!!!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For your information, Tinker did all the stock removal after heat treat, not before it.

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Marc

Quote:
Each of these is precision milled from 5160 steel , and finished by hand. They are given an aerospace heat-treatment to 60-62 HRC and selectively tempered.

60-62 would be about high quench hardness for 5160. Is that what you mean to write? Gus' working edges are usually less than 55, so It begs asking. I know Tinker was selectively tempering some blades but he was also doing stock rmoval with pre treated blanks. A 60-62 edge hardness will frustrate some hand sharpeners Wink

Cheers

GC

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Mark -

The XIIIa is beautiful, is that one for sale? I didn't see a price on that, thanks.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
For your information, Tinker did all the stock removal after heat treat, not before it.

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Marc

Quote:

Cheers

GC

Hi Lance

I guess I could have used the word billets or stock instead of blanks. I am fairly familiar with Tinker's methodologies.

One more question for Marc. Is this heat treatment and temper as mentioned only for the Evolution series of swords, or are all of Gus' swords going to be processed in the same manner (re selective tempering)

Thanks in advance..

Cheers

GC
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just in case I wasn't clear. Tinker cut the sword blanks out of the steel and then goes heat treat with those totally flat sword blanks. The blanks' cross section were still being rectangular. He did all the grinding when the blanks return from heat treat, at either 52 HRC or 58 HRC.

Sorry to have repeated information... just wanna make a better, clearer reference for compare.

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Lancelot Chan wrote:

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Marc

Quote:

Cheers

GC

Hi Lance

I guess I could have used the word billets or stock instead of blanks. I am fairly familiar with Tinker's methodologies.

One more question for Marc. Is this heat treatment and temper as mentioned only for the Evolution series of swords, or are all of Gus' swords going to be processed in the same manner (re selective tempering)

Thanks in advance..

Cheers

GC

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
Hey Mark -

The XIIIa is beautiful, is that one for sale? I didn't see a price on that, thanks.

Hello Bryan,

Thanks, I think it is quite beautiful myself... wish it was mine, and if it was for sale it would be, however a past client got wind of it while it was still being manufactured and snapped it up...

@ Glen : While the Diff Heat treatment is part of what makes an Evolution Arms an Evolution model... we don't have an exclusive on it... however with T&T not taking commissions... and not offering this option in any case , I'm not sure where else one would get an Atrim presently. I think he does sell to a Renn Faire guy.... and that guy charges much more...

Occasionally we will be offering pieces with the standard heat-treat.

Marc Kaden Ridgeway

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Evolution Arms : In Stock Atrims
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic