Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norse Specific Seax Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Norse Specific Seax         Reply with quote

As a viking re-enactor and live steel fighter, I try to preserve my kit so that it's historically accurate and "battle-ready". Being of half Norwegian decent, I re-enact a 9th century Norwegian viking. I've been in need of a seax for some time now, but it seems like all the ones on the market are of anglo-saxon or early frankish design. I don't have the kind of money for a custom one either. So my question to you all is do you know of a Scandinavian or even specifically Norwegian seax on the market under $250 that isn't super frail?
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Seax maker         Reply with quote

Hi Matt....I sent you a pm. Happy
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seax maker         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Hi Matt....I sent you a pm. Happy

Yes thank you, I shall contact you if nothing comes up. Big Grin

Being specific, the kind of blades I'm looking for are the "Norse" ones on this chart. I actually found this buried on the site.

Attachment: 147.9 KB
[ Download ]
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you aren't looking for a long war knife style seax but want something that looks period appropriate you might want to consider a knife called the Viking that is made by Helle which is a Norwegian company. Ragweed Forge has a picture of it but it is out of stock with that company right now.

I'd replace the sheathe and do a tiny bit of shaping on the choil so the knife looks less manufactured.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew,

Just a thought, but you are going to have problems finding even an approachable hisyorically accurate seax at the price point you are setting, much less one showing elements of a territorial provenance.
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Matthew,

Just a thought, but you are going to have problems finding even an approachable hisyorically accurate seax at the price point you are setting, much less one showing elements of a territorial provenance.

That's why I asked. I wasn't sure if there was a seax like this available.

Ken Speed wrote:
If you aren't looking for a long war knife style seax but want something that looks period appropriate you might want to consider a knife called the Viking that is made by Helle which is a Norwegian company. Ragweed Forge has a picture of it but it is out of stock with that company right now.

I'd replace the sheathe and do a tiny bit of shaping on the choil so the knife looks less manufactured.

I actually own two Helle knives! Big Grin The Viking for my re-enactment knife, and the Brakar for deer hunting, love their stuff.

Does any one have experience with the Generation 2 River Witham Seax or the Legacy Arms Skofnung Seax?

The Skofnung looks like it's not being produced anymore, while the River Witham seems to be an Anglo-Saxon design.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could make one that's no to far of with a medevial single edged dagger blade. Or simply use a medevial single edged dagger in a viking age scabbard.
Tod sells these for a VERY reasonable price on his English Cutler page:
http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/theenglishcutler/k...knives.htm

He also sells build-your-own bollock dagger setts. I would send him a mail and ask him if he has any blades that fit your wishes laying arond, and how mutch he would want for it, finished or as a kit.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norse Specific Seax
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic