Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deepeeka, what's the lowdown? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Deepeeka, what's the lowdown?         Reply with quote

Not owning any Deepeeka pieces, I would like to get various impressions of this manufacturer. I believe I'm safe in saying that they are generally not a highly regarded maker of historical swords, daggers, etc., regardless of the fact that their products retail at very low prices relative to most other makers. Of course, that could be part of the actual or perceived problem.

In looking over some of their offerings I must admit that I do see an occasional piece which seems to possess a rugged, realistic appearance, a certain funkyness, if you will, that is charming & attractive. To my eyes that would apply to their pre-medieval period products and various eastern culture examples.

So, what's the score on Deepeeka? Thanks.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
G K Vaughn

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As you say, the look is often quite good for the price, but there's no consideration at all paid to anything else. They're often overbuilt, poorly balanced and made of inferior materials.

They're good for reenactors who just want something to go with a costume and don't plan on ever cutting or practicing with it, though.

"The rifle is no more than the grip of the bayonet."

--Giuseppe Garibaldi
Jack Savante

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned three. Some are great in some regards but really let themselves in others (like having a tiny twiggy tang that's welded). I've heard they are better than they once were though. Also I've heard they make great armour, but can't vouch for it personally.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Deepeeka has launched a new product line which they are referring to as "Primus". I have yet to actually get my hands on anything of this line but if the photos are reasonable depictions then they will be above average. Of course there is nothing like getting your hands on the item to really judge it. I do agree that some of their early stuff is overbuilt and not historically as accurate as it could be. One thing in their favor is that they have provided a lot of stuff at reasonable prices which you cannot find elsewhere. Not good for cutting or sparring however.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't say anything regarding the 'Primus' line or their current quality, per se... But only a few years back when I got into collecting reproduction weaponry, I purchased... hmmm... eight of their swords, I reckon. All of them looked pretty nifty. All of them sucked otherwise.

-Gregory
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is their website.
http://www.primusarms.com/

I have to say that I am rather impressed by the below sword as from what I can see on the website they have made it to very closely resemble a historical sword. However the price is incredibly cheap so I hope its not too good to be true.
"Deepeeka Prototype being compared to the original at the Museum"
http://www.primusarms.com/PRS401.htm
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Deepeeka is one of the main suppliers for Roman reenactors, mostly because they were willing to listen to us about improving the accuracy of their products. Mind you, they still make plenty of junk, and some items they just haven't quite gotten right after several attempts (Roman pugio, for a frustrating example). Another caveat is that I don't know about the quality of their swords other than that they *look* right and handle at least better than sharpened crowbars. I don't know of anyone offhand who cuts with Deepeeka gladii. But since Roman blades often weren't very good anyway, we're satisfied overall. And for us first-century types, having a selection of 10 or 12 respectable helmets to choose from is a gold mine!

Matthew
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My experience with Deepeeka has been largely negative. Very inconsistent quality control means swords that can be very overweight and poorly balanced, blades that are poorly heat treated, lousy finishes, and so on. Now, I did have one Deepeeka sword with a blade that was actually fairly good -- quite flexible, with decent balance -- but the hilt was very poorly put together and came loose very readily. Would have made a good project blade, I guess...

I have purchased some of the Deepeeka Roman swords. Accuracy wise, they're good. Handling wise, they're not so much. Mainly I got them for the scabbards, which are great (they happen to fit some of my other Roman swords!). I think of it as buying a scabbard and getting a sword-like object as a bonus.

If you're getting a sword as a costume or display piece, Deepeekas will work fine. If you want something functional, avoid them.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two people i know have gotten the deepeeka version of the "gothic" longsword. One has held up to sparring my tinker longsword and BKS bastard sword with almost no edge damage, where as the other one snapped in half against a pell.

It is a luck of the draw on temper; both of those swords were purchased from the same reseller. Neither was exactly ballanced, with a POB at about 7" from the cross, but for 40+ inch bladed swords they handled adequately
Robert Paul

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was searching for news of the Deepeeka flintlocks when I came across this thread. I don't know if anything was posted recently that might have been lost, so I am reopening this old thread.

I spoke with a gentleman at the Military History Fest in Chicago last month, who does a lot of work for Deepeeka, . He told me about how they have been developing their new Primus line to be really top quality items, with a focus on accurate historical reproductions. They have been doing work for a couple of arms museums in England so they must be doing something right.

I have no experience (yet) with anything from the Primus line, but I do own several well made knives from Deepeeka, and have fought off and on for a couple of years in SCA heavy combat in one of their helms. It has taken quite a beating (not the best at blocking head shots) and has served me well over the years.

They had a large display of very impressive flintlock muskets and pistols, the McLean Arsenal they called it, or something like that. I wonder if anyone here has any experience or opinions with these guns. I'd like to get more input before I make a purchase.

Thank you for your response.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with their guns but I do have one Indian-made Scottish flintlock pistol. It is several years old, before Deepeeka began to offer guns. It is nice to look at but I would not fire it with ball on a dare. The lock does not spark well, in spite of having a strong mainspring - too strong actually. While it resembles what it is trying to replicate, it does not come close to being really authentic. I hope they are working on improving their quality because they are nice folks to work with but until I actually get to closely examine the Primus line, I am going to withold judgment.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deepeeka, what's the lowdown?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic