Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Nov 22: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
80%
 80%  [ 84 ]
Very Good
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
Good
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Fair
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 104

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Nov 22: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Spotlight:
Oakeshott Type XVI Swords
An article by Chad Arnow

Albion Prince and Squire Swords

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

Jason Dingledine Type XVI Sword

A hands-on review by Gordon Clark

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great updates this week.

Thanks!!

I am a but curious though. The type XVIa.4 {From the Tower of London} in the spotlight article was listed as XVIa by Oakeshott in "swords in the age of chivalry" but if memory serves me right it is listed as XIIa in "the records of the medieval sword".

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did oakeshott really move this sword in the XIIa category, as there was no such at the time "swords in the age of chivalry" was being written.

Alexi

Edit: I need to learn to watch what I copy and paste Mad . I meant the XVIa.4 From the Tower of London. This sword is re-classified as XIIa. I edited the original text to read XVIa.4 and not XVIa.3 . Sorry if I caused confusion.

Last edited by Alexi Goranov on Mon 22 Nov, 2004 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nov 22: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Today's update:

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.

With hands-on reviews by folks who know how a sword is to be used, and excellent, scholarly articles, I believe that myArmoury.com stands heads-and-shoulders above the competition. I anticipate every update eagerly! Cool

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Great updates this week.

Thanks!!

I am a but curious though. The type XVIa.4{From the Tower of London} in the spotlight article was listed as XVIa by Oakeshott in "swords in the age of chivalry" but if memory serves me right it is listed as XIIa in "the records of the medieval sword".

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did oakeshott really move this sword in the XIIa category, as there was no such at the time "swords in the age of chivalry" was being written.

Alexi

Now that I have " Records " in front of me I can answer my own question.

This sword is now classified as XIIa (XIIa.3 in "Records") . There Oakeshott writes "Publication: ...Oakeshott SAC, Plate 29, where it is erroneously classified as Type XVIa, instead of XIIa."

Alexi
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:
Great updates this week.

Thanks!!

I am a but curious though. The type XVIa.4{From the Tower of London} in the spotlight article was listed as XVIa by Oakeshott in "swords in the age of chivalry" but if memory serves me right it is listed as XIIa in "the records of the medieval sword".

Alexi

This sword is now classified as XIIa (XIIa.3 in "Records") . There Oakeshott writes "Publication: ...Oakeshott SAC, Plate 29, where it is erroneously classified as Type XVIa, instead of XIIa."

Alexi

Looking at Records, you're right, Oakeshott says he erroneously classified this sword as a XVIa.

I now need to find another XVIa to replace this one in the article. I originally put this in the article because it was so odd looking for a XVIa and so worthy of being featured. Now I know why it's odd looking!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! This is why our site rocks: because the members do just as much to guide the content as anybody. Thanks again.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, I have been very impressed from the start as to the quality of not only the forums, but of the other features as well. The essays on arms and armour, the reprinting of articles I thought long gone, and the albums and collections are just wonderful. Superb is probably a better term actually. I really want to give you a lot of kudos for this site, and for keeping the tenor of the discussions on a very high, gentlemanly level. I have dropped many a forum in disgust because of the childish behaviour exhibited, and I just wanted to take this opportunity to say "Thanks!" for your stewardship of this site. Bully.

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:

Alexi

Alexi,
Thanks for pointing this out. Like Nathan said, this is what makes this site to great: informed readers looking to learn more and share more.

Nathan is the primary (usually solo) illustrator of almost all of the articles, even though he rarely takes by-line credit or acknowledgment. I'd like to publicly thank him for providing the images that make the text we write come alive. I know he puts a ton of work into the imaging and formatting of the articles. Kudos, bud.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll back up Chad on this point.

The content may be the key, but Nathan's work with imaging and illustrations is what draws the reader in. In my opinion it's one of the key things that makes myArmoury what it is.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Thanks for the XVI's         Reply with quote

Excellent update. I really wanted to see my favorite sword type (Oakeshott type XVI's) covered in the spotlight section. Imagine my joy when I logged on yesterday to discover that they had been added. As an added bonus, there was a review of a replica based on a sword that I have long admired (XVI.3). That particular sword caught my eye the first time I read The Archeology of Weapons, so it was great to see it as it might have looked during its using life.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work.

-Grey
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the spotlights are the best
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

XVIs are also my favorite, and it was gratifying to see them get some attention (especially as it coincides with a certain recent purchase Happy ) The reviews in particular are excellent, since they provide both a lot of information as well as hi-res eye candy. Thanks on behalf of the lurkers for such a fun and educational site Big Grin
Esa Etelävuori

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not so big fan of XVI's, but this update was very good. Now I can understand how and why, even if I dislike the looks. Actually, I'm thinking of getting one now. Big Grin

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Nov 22: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic