Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Newbie Needs Help Plz - Sword Care - Windlass Conan Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jay P.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Newbie Needs Help Plz - Sword Care - Windlass Conan Sword         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I just recently out of impulse purchased one of the controversial Windlass Conan Atlantean Swords from Kult of Athena.

It was definitely an impulse buy during Hurricane Sandy, I must say. I've been wanting to buy one of these for my entire life but was afraid to make the investment due to wondering about storage and care. But, I bought one anyway!

But I've been going around hoping you guys could help me with a few questions. My sword is not sharpened (I have kids in the house). It was mainly bought for storage, display (depending on the time of year), and overall nostalgia.

just some questions:

1) I opened the box and I see that it came oiled in a plastic. What type of cloth do I use to remove the oil?

2) Do I have to oil the sword regularly to prevent rusting?

3) If I want to store it away at certain times, do I just put it back in the box that it came in?

4) How much maintenance does it require in order to keep it's luster?

5) What are some basic swordcare tips?

Thank you guys so much (in advance)
Joe Wolowicz

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, What I have found is that for maintenance on your weapon is dependent on the type of climate you live in (humidity levels, and whatnot) and how often you use your sword. I do know that you do not want to use WD-40, it is good if you don't have anything else but you wouldn't want to rely on it normally.

There is a guide from the SBG that I will link, look through it and read it. I'm not sure that everything is spot on and i'm sure much is up to personal preference but I think it will lead you in the right direction!

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/support-files/sword-care.pdf

Good luck! Big Grin

Joe
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I have around 100 swords give or take a couple. For years, I have used a good car wax on my blades and hilts and have never had any rust. When I get a new one, I clean it well with alcohol to remove any oil on the sword first.

Bill
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of your questions are answered here:

Care and Maintenance of the Modern Replica

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Windlass swords used to always come covered in clear lacquer which requires much less care than bare metal. It might be worth asking them if yours is lacquered/varnished.

The advice you've been getting is for bare metals.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jay P.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help, guys.

In terms of storage, how do you guys store your weapons if you don't have them on display at the moment?

The conan atlantean came in the box, but I don't know if I should just store it in there or where? I've heard not to store swords in leather scabbards as this will speed up rusting?
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had nothing but staining/rust from leaving swords in leather scabbards (actually 2 swords). Wood core scabbards are good. I leave all my swords out on display racks year round.

Some of the other members who have stored their swords long term can chime in. Just wanted to warn you off storing in plain leather scabbards.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:
I have had nothing but staining/rust from leaving swords in leather scabbards (actually 2 swords). Wood core scabbards are good. I leave all my swords out on display racks year round.

I had a pattern-welded knife by a custom maker (Vince Evans). He recommended I keep it in the leather sheath, which I did for more than a year with no trouble.

It depends on how the leather was tanned, how much humidity is in your environment, and other factors. If in doubt, leave it out. But storing in a leather sheath doesn't automatically equal rust.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

we all have a variety of ways to protecting our blades - it's almost an individual thing, there's tons of posts around here with people asking what kind of products we use to prevent oxidation.

storage wise, well let me ask, do you have to put it away for months on end? just display it year round - hang x-mass lights off it and such.

i would say store it in a closet (lockable since you have kinds around) and not anywhere where it's not in your normal home environment. storage in an attic may expose the blade to unwanted humidity during the summer months.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Windlass swords used to always come covered in clear lacquer which requires much less care than bare metal. It might be worth asking them if yours is lacquered/varnished.

Speaking as someone who has bought numerous Windlass in recent years and never seen one with said coating, I think this is a thing of the past.

Chad Arnow wrote:

I had a pattern-welded knife by a custom maker (Vince Evans). He recommended I keep it in the leather sheath, which I did for more than a year with no trouble.

It depends on how the leather was tanned, how much humidity is in your environment, and other factors. If in doubt, leave it out. But storing in a leather sheath doesn't automatically equal rust.

Ditto. I've actually been storing all of my pieces that have sheaths in them. Aside from a couple of particularly troublesome pieces and a few spots here and there I've not noticed any major problems. Apparently most of my pieces have relatively nicely tanned sheaths and aren't much of a problem. It does help that I've gotten over the first time sword owner's "everything-has-to-stay-as-perfect-as-the-day-it-arrived" mindset and don't really care too much about what I know to be cheap Hanwei/Windlass pieces.

So, with that in mind, I wouldn't pay much mind to storing it in a sheath unless it starts to rust repeatedly even after oiling and such. Heck, I haven't bothered to oil most of mine in over a year and they're fine. 'Course, I presently live in a relatively dry mid-west climate. My experiences in Hawaii were a little different. Wink

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

Speaking as someone who has bought numerous Windlass in recent years and never seen one with said coating, I think this is a thing of the past.

My experience is exactly opposite of yours. The dozen or so Windlass swords I've seen from the last two years have all had a varnish applied to them. It's completely invisible and is mostly only noticeable upon trying to polish the blade. Additionally, it is very visible when one tries to remove the weird hologram and logo stickers from the blade. The varnish leaves a clear "seam" visible. Using acetone removes it easily enough.

The varnish, for most of the Windlass's audience, is a good thing. It makes maintenance very simple, preventing patination and similar issues almost entirely in many cases.

I've redone the finish on all Windlass swords I've intended to keep over the years, adding a "Scotch-brite" finish similar to Albion's. Doing this removes the varnish.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To give a more extreme example on the leather scabbard subject, I once tried to ship a CAS/Hanwei sword via FedEx air when it was in a leather scabbard. It arrived with some pretty major rust where it had contact with the leather.
Keep in mind though that during flight it would have undergone a number of changes in temperature and humidity that would cause some pretty serious condensation. So in a location where moisture is an issue, I would say avoid prolonged contact with leather. Otherwise I never had an issue when I was storing it indoors at home and cleaning it every few months.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Newbie Needs Help Plz - Sword Care - Windlass Conan Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic