Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Peter Johnson Line Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Lannon

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Peter Johnson Line         Reply with quote

Peter, I understand the Svante will be one of your signature line of swords, although the release date is vague (whenever it comes out I WILL get one). Are there any other later generation longswords that have been decided on at this point that will be in that line. I have always been hopeful of getting on of your complex hilted German Bastard Swords. I think that is my all time favorite sword.

Thanks
Dave Lannon

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave, start saving up for the Svante. It's among the best damn swords I've ever seen reproduced. If you ever get a chance to have it in your hands, you'll know it must go home with you. Really, it's that cool. Whoever made the historical original really had a cruel streak, cause it's just torture to behold that thing and know it's not owned by you. Grin.

Cheers.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Nathan.

The Svante is perhaps my favorite sword of any type or time period. The cool factor of that sword is simply off the scale. If I had my choice of owning just one sword it would probably be that one. Handling that sword was just incredible.

The really neat thing is that, according to Peter, the production version might be even better than his original forged piece. Apparently, more detailed information is now available than when Peter made the "original". Peter's more experienced now, and data gained from things like x-rays is now available that wasn't when he did his thesis.

The production version will be far from cheap, however, the manufacturing process for that sword is more complex than most. There are more machining steps in the Svante tang alone than in any other complete blade in the Albion line.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Handling that sword was just incredible
WTF?! wtf: where are the PICS!!!

Quote:
start saving up
Im ready Big Grin
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Yup!! I am saving my piggy banks!!!         Reply with quote

I e-mailed Mike Sigman about the Svante. After I came to when he told me the ball park price I firmly decided to get one. I don't REALLY need to use the extra check I get in January to pay off my big-screen!! Nathan or Patrick...while you were at Albion...was there any kind of timetable on the Svante? Next summer or fall as a guess? Did you see any of Peter's designs that were going to be made in his Signature Line?

God, I HATE waiting!!!! *grin*

Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, first time i saw the Sture i really didn´t cared about it that much.
Shure, i could see that it was great craftmanship and that the scabbard was really, really good.
But i didn´t liked the type of sword with the "s" shaped guard.
(silly me.)

The blade however looked wicked!! Eek!

Upon handling it however.... I fell totally in love. Cool
Now i like the look of it more.

Strange things - feelings.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know the release date for the sword, but I saw the masters for the pommel and guard last week. Unfortunately, they have to be reworked, as the finished parts shrunk a couple of percent more than expected. Peter's and Albion's standards are exacting; there are makers who don't care whether a sword is inches off, and here we have people who don't accept fractions...

Last edited by Björn Hellqvist on Fri 17 Oct, 2003 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Did you see any of Peter's designs that were going to be made in his Signature Line? "

Sure did. I spent a morning taking stats and measurements of the Brescia, Tritonia, and the Soligen. We were also able to do some cutting with these. These are *very* impressive swords. Now that I own swords by the likes of Vince Evans and Peter Johnsson I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to bother with production swords anymore. The PJ Museum Line changed my mind on that. So much so that I ordered my own Brescia Spadona, and scabbard, earlier this week. These are great swords.
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Got em on order         Reply with quote

Yeah, I've had the Brescia and the Solingen on order since they were put up on the web site. I'm just hoping against hope Peter and Albion put his German Bastard Sword in the PJ line. I didn' t like the Tritona when it first came out. I prefer cut and thrust and that sword is a CLEAVER. It is growing on me though........

Dang!! gonna have to save more money.....

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Got em on order         Reply with quote

David Lannon wrote:
Yeah, I've had the Brescia and the Solingen on order since they were put up on the web site. I'm just hoping against hope Peter and Albion put his German Bastard Sword in the PJ line. I didn' t like the Tritona when it first came out. I prefer cut and thrust and that sword is a CLEAVER. It is growing on me though........

I wasn't so into the Tritonia, either, until I had it in my hand.. jeez. I really like it now.. I wouldn't call it a cleaver, anymore.. in fact, it's a sharpened knife stuck on the end of a big sword.. it absolutely screams "Cavalry" and really conjures some devastating images upon wielding it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Got em on order         Reply with quote

David Lannon wrote:

The one thing that really fascinates me about the Tritonia is its mass. The sword is an excellent example of why mass distribution is so critical in sword mechanics. When you see the Tritonia lying on a table the term "boat anchor" immediately springs to mind. Once you pick it up though you're in for a suprise. The sword handles beautifully for a sword of that size. My new Big Johnsson is nearly as massive as the Tritonia and shares many of those characteristics. If I hadn't bought BJ from Peter the Tritonia may very well have been the first one on my list to buy. It's a fascinating example of medieval engineering.
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Peter Johnson Line         Reply with quote

David Lannon wrote:
Peter, I understand the Svante will be one of your signature line of swords, although the release date is vague (whenever it comes out I WILL get one). Are there any other later generation longswords that have been decided on at this point that will be in that line. I have always been hopeful of getting on of your complex hilted German Bastard Swords. I think that is my all time favorite sword.

Thanks
Dave Lannon

Well - the page is up at http://albionarmorers.com/swords/johnsson/svante.htm
Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Peter Johnson Line         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:

Well - the page is up at http://albionarmorers.com/swords/johnsson/svante.htm

Some stats from the site:
Quote:
Specifications
Overall length: 46.5"
Blade length: 33.5"
Blade width (at widest): 2"
Blade thickness (at base): 0.47"
CoG: 2.125" from cross
CoP: 18" from cross
Weight: 4lbs

Cool
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really cool stuff. Will be fun watching to see what is next in the pipeline even though my buying for the next few years is done.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Sture is up on the website         Reply with quote

I see that the Svante is now on teh Albion website http://albionarmorers.com/swords/johnsson/svante.htm . LIke some of you mentioned here, I have been in love with this sword since I first saw Peter's recreation on Bjorn's website. The blade is absolute gorgeous and the long handle make it look extremely deadly. Though not hwving teh blade length of some two-handed swords, one must be able to achieve some massive cuts with great speed usign the lonf handle. Some who handled the sword (Patrick maybe) stated that the blade is larger than the measurements hint at. I appreciate the work and documentation that Peter J put into the documentation of this sword and the work Albion craftspeople put on it, but I am afraid the price puts it out fo my hands at this particualr moment. I hope that there are some left by the time I am in a better financial position to purchase one. What a BEAUTY! Amy knows my lust for this sword Big Grin C'mon Albion, give us poorer people a chance...have a raffle!!!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe a formal payment plan.

*Forgive me if I missed something over at Albon. I keep spending more time looking at the pictures than reading all the payment details over at Albion.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Peter Johnson Line
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic