Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Bastard Swords Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Show Us Your Bastard Swords         Reply with quote

Here is an addition to the Show Us Your threads. I don't mean Grete Swords - XIIa's and XIIIa's, but XVa's, XVIa's, XVII's, XVIIIa,b,c,e's, XX's, and so on. But if you have a great XIIa that you want to show, please go ahead.

Here is my contribution -

Albion Castellan XVa - a true bastard, that you can wield with one hand, but even better with two. It's beautifully balanced, more thrust than cut, and good looking too.

Also, the DD1611 XVIIIb, a bastard with a simple compound hilt by Gus Trim, the only one he made of this 1611 designation. It has a 36 inch blade and weighs around 2 lbs, incredibly light and maneuverable.

Attachment: 45.35 KB
casttopb.jpg
My Albion Castellan

Attachment: 29.48 KB
castfull3.jpg
Castellan - Albion Europe photo

Attachment: 31.23 KB
dd1611fullj.jpg
DD1611

Attachment: 16.45 KB
dd1611hilt.jpg
DD1611
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's not much of a contribution but I was smitten by Albion's Castellan from the first moment I saw it, years ago. I've never had the chance to hold it, but I imagine it to handle quite elegantly.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few poor cell-phone pics of my Albion XVI bare blade with hand-forged hilt components. I wasn't happy with the finish or grip so I stripped the grip to the core and began refinishing the cross and pommel since these pics were taken.

Attachment: 43.93 KB
langschwert 4.jpg

Attachment: 39.12 KB
langschwert 3.jpg

Attachment: 39.89 KB
langschwert 2.jpg

Attachment: 55.42 KB
full view swords.jpg

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love that dirty dog bastard sidesword.

My bastards are an A&A GBS, A&A Black Prince (bronze fittings) and a Del Tin 5157. I had traded off a sword from A&A that had the EIII blade and Duke of Urbino mounts. It has been reworked by another to be more of a bastard. I am going to be swinging these a bit this weekend. There are a couple of other great big swords in a couple of shots. The Duke/EIII came to be from Darryl Guertin, then back and forth a couple of times between me and Todd Pelletier. He has ground the blade a bit to make for a longer grip. Quite handy with two now, as it had always been a beast in one. Maybe he'll want to sell it back to me once again some day.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 81.16 KB
aaaagbsplus.jpg

Attachment: 48.92 KB
attachmentgbs.jpg

Attachment: 75.96 KB
A&A&2.jpg

Attachment: 54.22 KB
A&A war3.jpg

Attachment: 42.74 KB
A&A WAR 002.jpg

Attachment: 128.46 KB
[ Download ]
Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Nothing better than a good bastard sword.         Reply with quote

My personal favorite in my collection is a type XVIa-ish bastard sword by Rick Barrett, which just got a new scabbard courtesy of Russ Ellis.

Attachment: 63.27 KB
Ranger1.JPG

Attachment: 95.22 KB
Ranger2.JPG

Attachment: 106.14 KB
Ranger3.JPG

Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Glen,

I really like your Black Prince in bronze. Really classy looking. Happy
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my Albion Crecy with Christian Fletcher scabbard:

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Joseph Brassey

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll jump in. This is an Angus Trim that straddles the line between Longsword and Bastard Sword that I had commissioned. Probably the first high-end sword I've owned. Permanently assembled, blued crosspiece and pommel. Eventually I'll make or commission a scabbard worthy of her.

"The only honourable purpose of war is to destroy your enemy's ability to make war. Do less, and you deliver yourself into his hands. Do more, and you entertain depravity."
~Bill Willingham, Fables

"Honour, not Honours."
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lets see...

An Angus Trim 1508... an interpretation of a XVIIIe...

An Evolution Arms XVIIIb (AT Phat Bastard) ... this one is not mine... mine is similar but in green

Like many here, an A&A GBS

and finally. an Albion Regent

EDIT:

Oh... Missed that I could show a great XIIa

Laird by John Lundemo:

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought an Arms and Armor Schloss Erbach around 10 years ago. It's a beautiful sword, though for my taste, a little on the heavy and ponderous side. I recently looked up that model on A&A's website and read that they have modified it. I'm not sure what they did, perhaps they increased the blade's distal taper?. It would be interesting to compare my 10-year-old Schloss Erbach to the one they're making now.

I would call it an XVIIIa. I used to think of it as an XVIIIc, until I saw some of those Alexandrian Arsenal XVIIIc's which are much, much wider.

Old Specs - in inches

OL - 44.5
BL - 35.25
BW - 2
POB - 6
COP - 22
Weight - 3.5 lbs

Attachment: 41 KB
schloss2.jpg

Attachment: 35.13 KB
schloss erbach.jpg

Attachment: 5.79 KB
schloss full.jpg

William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kult of Athena has the stats listed for the newer model as:

Overall Length: 43.75''
Blade: 35'' x 2''
Weight: 3 lb 1.6 oz
P.O.B.: 5 1/4''
Thickness: 5.1 mm - 3.2 mm
Grip Length: 6 7/8''
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hey Glen,

I really like your Black Prince in bronze. Really classy looking. Happy

I have always said my BP would be the last I would sell but with friends over the weekend, one was in love with it bad. It may one day go to another in the extended family. This was from a sale A&A had back in the holiday season of 2001. Bronze used to be an option for several models.

I t had been a Friday sword I think with some hilting issues I promptly forgot about until someone pointed out a grip to blade issue. Since then, I have had it apart and mostly centered everything but it could use a silver solder fill in the guard and a new grip entirely. It never wanted to tighten until I did have it apart to note the pommel was bottoming on the tang (a good thing but a fitting issue overall).

I can't say I love it any more than I do because I have always adored it. I don't have a lot of close pictures of it (maybe to keep her away from strangers).

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 52.66 KB
a&abpb.jpg

Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
... I recently looked up that model on A&A's website and read that they have modified it...

I think the recent changes are mostly in the profile of the grip and pommel, working to get them closer to the original sword. I kinda wish they'd re-work the blade too, which has (in the photos of the original) the look of some wear due to sharpening- less of the convex belly of the typical type XVIII. Still wish I owned one tho!
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Albion Crecy:

With scabbard by Brian Kunz:

Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here are mine. Sorry for the poor pics.....
A Salamander Armoury blade with Rockett's Forge guard and pommel. The grip is my work and is a poor replacement for the original which was destroyed by a sword blow that cost me 3 broken fingers. Kind of a type XIX but not really Happy I've always considered this a bastard sword but most of my friends consider it a longsword.
A Del Tin bastard.
And a Cold Steel Grosse Messer with a custom guard for good measure.

JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am going to go way outside the box here and contribute my Odinblade Morrigan. It is a fantasy leafbladed bastard sword with an 8" grip and a 32" blade. The wolf's paw pommel and guard are cast from bronze and left with a natural dark brown, almost black patina.

I have a number of other bastard swords - but most of models I own have already been pictured here by other members. I love my historically inspired pieces, but the Morrigan is a fantastic bastard sword of note by John Lundemo. It has a stellar blade presence, impressive balance, great harmonics, and monster cutting ability which would suprise most people. Eveyone who I have let use this blade wants to steal it from me! Happy

To emphasize how much I love this sword: If we lived in a world where I could only own one blade, this would be the one I would choose. It is truly a work of contemporary, functional sword art. Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Oliver Schmid

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here is my customize tinker longsword and my grat sword of war.
new grip mod. cross guard an both blade are etched.

oli

Attachment: 35.31 KB
1 [ Download ]

Attachment: 112.14 KB
2 [ Download ]

Attachment: 51.94 KB
3 [ Download ]

Attachment: 60.67 KB
4 [ Download ]

Attachment: 66.32 KB
5 [ Download ]
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like what I see in this thread! Laughing Out Loud

Here's my Venetian Bastard Sword by Christian Fletcher and Angus Trim (AT1432 blade, type XVIIIa) and my Borderwatch by Christian Fletcher (Albion Crecy blade type XVIa).

Next to each other for scale (among other family and a great XIIa that I don't consider a bastard sword).

The scabbard for the Venetian was made by Sonny Suttles at the Valiant Armoury CSS, and the Borderwatch has a recommissioned UC ranger scabbard Laughing Out Loud with a Generation 2 seax as a byknife. They share a VA sword belt at present.

Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach, those are both great swords. I remember when the Venetian Bastard came out. I was sorely tempted to get one, but let it pass. Now it's too late. I think you may have the only Venetian Bastard ever made (like me and my DD1611).

And Jonathan, that Morrigan looks very intriguing. I don't usually consider fantasy swords, but with a recommendation like that, it will go on my list. I don't have a Lundemo sword, and really should get one.
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Zach, those are both great swords. I remember when the Venetian Bastard came out. I was sorely tempted to get one, but let it pass.

Thanks Roger, I remember your linking to my comments on the Venetian Bastard being one of the first things that spurred me to register here at myArmoury. Big Grin I wouldn't mind adding a Castellan like yours to the group of sharp and shiny, I love the proportions of that blade.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Now it's too late. I think you may have the only Venetian Bastard ever made (like me and my DD1611).

I know Christian made at least one other Venetian during the short-lived Chimera line and that Sonny made one custom Venetian about a year ago, but it is a rare bird indeed. I think there might be just the three out there in total. Shame more people didn't order them when they were available at such a low price through the Chimera Line, it's still my favorite sword.

But since Sonny had permission to make that green one in 2011, it's probably possible to commission something close to the VB if the stars align right, with the similar blade from Marc's Evolution Arms Bastard. Not quite as rare as your DD1611 (which is a real beauty, by the way). Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Bastard Swords
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: