Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > any buying exp from centaur forge? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: any buying exp from centaur forge?         Reply with quote

well, i've been a do it yourselfer for quite a while. been rebuilding knives for customers and making various other metal crafts for a number of years. and was slowly building my hobby into a small business. one thing about working with metal, its so much easier to use heat instead of building cutting and shaping metal cold. so i set out to buy a small forge (propane just because there's little mess) i know coal is best for starters but my little town has laws against outside fires and i don't have a place to build a coal forge indoors.

well about last year i lost my business partner and g/f that was aiding and backing a lot of what i was doing at the time and everything went upside down. had to get a new job - had to basically have a divorce. so i've finally gotten established enough at my new job that i'm comfortable getting back to building my little metal show up again. and again i'm trying to get my hands on a forge.

centaur forge offers 2 models of forge that i had seen recommended by anvil fire, the whisper light momma and baby. both are within my budget and i'd be hoping to purchase one them maybe in the spring when i'm expected to get a bonus. but i never buy online. just too much hanky panky going on but this seems to be the only way i can get my hands on one. so i figured i'd ask around and get some opinions if anyone had any experience with them as i know there are metal works here.

secondly, i'm wondering what model may be best for me. i'd be looking to make blades within the 16 - 20 in range at the largest as most historical examples i like fall within that range. most of my customer demands are for a pocket knife, or basic hunting knife. i'd also like to attempt some forge welding.

and yes i know there are plenty of plans for building your own forge but - i'd like to learn from something professionally made - and if i develop into making bigger things plan something that fits my personal product needs later.
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Daniel.
I can't speak as to the suitability of the forges for your desired work, as I only use hardwood charcoal for all my smithing, but as far as customer service and quality of goods, I have had very good luck with Centaur Forge and feel comfortable recommending them. Most of my hammers and tongs have been purchased from them as well as some anvil tools and so forth. Maybe one of the gas-forge guys is familiar with those models and can give you some meaningful input on them.

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had once bought a book through Centaur Forge and they seem on the up and up.

Cheers

GC
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the little bit of fee back - i appreciate it. i'm just wanting to make sure that i'm going using some generic site to go through my purchase.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > any buying exp from centaur forge?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic