Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Post Your Viking Gear! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Post Your Viking Gear!         Reply with quote

1. Large Spear Head from KultofAthena.com mounted on a 6 ft. ash haft.

2. An A&A Nordland Axe

3. Hanwei Tinker 9th Century Viking sword

4. Viking shield I made, it's my beater for re-enactments, I'm in the process of making a more historical one.

5. Good ol' blowing horn handmade by Jarl Olaf Thorssen of The Vikings of the Great Lakes.

Post your viking, anglo-saxon, rus, even vendel gear!

Attachment: 59.43 KB
216093_193231914142800_135801770_n.jpg

Marc Blaydoe

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Does this count?         Reply with quote

A viking really needs a ship. This is ours, the Sae Hrafn.

Attachment: 152.17 KB
sae_hrafn.jpg

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
Marc Blaydoe

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my Viking sea chest.

Attachment: 13.51 KB
Sea Chest.jpg

Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this count?         Reply with quote

Marc Blaydoe wrote:
A viking really needs a ship. This is ours, the Sae Hrafn.

WOW!! Did you guys make or buy that? Either or, I'd love to know how you obtained such a beautiful ship!!
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword, spear and shield - sword is a Windlass Leuterit, heavily modified - I filed off the raised diamonds and the white-metal plating, cut down the guard and used a center punch to apply some decoration. The grip was filed down and wrapped with leather with a central turks head knot. The tip was filed from a diamond cross section to a lenticular spatulate tip, which definitely improved tip slashing ability. It's been in the sheath for a while, hence the patches of corrosion (it's character, honest). The spear was a KoA purchase, and the handle is about 1.5" I think - feels great in the hand but I'm thinking of making some throwing spears with a 1" or maybe even a little smaller diameter shaft. The head is attached by riveted nail. The spear is a mean piercer! The shield was made out of 1/2" plywood, faced with canvas and painted with a rawhide edging. The boss is another KoA purchase, I tried to make it look a little more real/used by greasing it and burning the grease on with a blowtorch, then steel-wooling it. On the back is a straight bar handle of oak, no straps though I intend to put on a carrying strap to carry it over the back.

Hilt close up.

And the spear!

The rawhide edging. Copper nails were used primarily, with steel staples (I was pleased to find a staple that looked as though it had been smithed rather than machine-made - I'm not sure of the historicity of staples, but consider it plausible and ideal for purpose) where one piece of rawhide meets another - the hide is overlapped.

The scabbard was the first I made and primarily used to experiment with carving on a slightly more awkward surface. Turks head knots (square leather lace) hold on the strap bridge which is decorated with a herring bone. Further turks heads serve as decoration and reinforcement (it has suffered a wee bit of damage as you can probably see). I carved a large herringbone, with alternating cross hatch for contrast, and a valknut as decoration. Both the chape and throat need some work...
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Peter amazing gear! I really like the upgrades on your sword and the sheath is beautiful. Where did you get the rawhide for your shield edge? I've been told by some that you can soak dog rawhide then let it dry and it becomes usable.
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much Big Grin That's exactly what I did - I used to get rolled up rawhide chews or the rawhide bones (with the knot at either end) to make knife sheaths, but I found a 1lb bag of rawhide at pets barn for $10 that just consisted of a bunch of relatively flat 3x5" (or thereabouts) strips which seemed suitable. It was fairly inconsistent in thickness but I suppose that would be typical anyway - the thinner bits were definitely easier to use, though. Not sure how much of a difference the thickness makes, practically speaking.

The rawhide I used to get dried more translucent and slightly brown colored - different animal, perhaps? It was generally thinner (some of this stuff I got was about 3mm) so easier to stretch and dried a bit harder and more brittle. I think it would look better, but perhaps not be as tough. This stuff felt as though it may have even been tanned slightly - but again, perhaps just a different animal! After applying it to the shield, it dried harder than it was when I bought it. This did remain fairly tough after soaking, as opposed to the aforementioned stuff that achieved a barely-solid gel-like consistency - I recall a few times when I pulled the thread right through it when I wasn't being gentle enough in my stitching.

I recommend tacking the front of each strip (the side facing the enemy!) before doing the back rather than trying to alternate sides - it seemed to me after doing a few strips that it was easier to stretch it over the edge of the shield this way, while keeping the lines even on the front. I wound up trimming the back with an exacto knife after I was finished, rather than pre-sizing the rawhide to the right width.
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Best photo I currently have is of my now sold Albion SL Vinland.

The sword looks awesome but personally I found it a little too heavy for my tastes.

Marc Blaydoe

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this count?         Reply with quote

Matthew Harrington wrote:
WOW!! Did you guys make or buy that? Either or, I'd love to know how you obtained such a beautiful ship!!

Thank you for your kind words. No, like King Harold, we had someone else build our ship. She was built in Inyokern CA, at the gateway to the Mojave Desert, strangely enough. I'm sure the builder would be happy for another commission. He really is very reasonable. http://ravenkraft.com. One of his smaller boats was featured in a Capital One barbarians commercial (the one where they visit the Grand Canyon).

The Sae Hrafn (Sea Raven), is a 39' (12m) class A (Div. II) tall ship which is based on similarly sized coastal raiding and defense vessels (i.e. Skuldelev V & Ralswiek/Rugen II ), with the sweeping lines of the classic longships. She was launched in September 2005. The Sae Hrafn replaced the Fyrdraca ( Fire Drake), a lap-strake, 32' (10m) class A (Div II) tall ship based on a 9th century warship excavated in Germany, which had been the organization's primary vessel for nearly 25 years before she was retired. The other vessel currently in use is the Gyrfalcon - so named for the hunting falcons of the far northern regions. It is based on the small, 21' (6.5m), faring boat found in the Gokstad Viking ship burial, and serves primarily as a teaching tool easily transportable overland for exhibits, educational demonstrations, and historical reenactments.

If you happen to be anywhere near the Chesapeake Bay area (greater Washington DC/Baltimore metropolitan area) we are always looking for extra crew.

Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William M wrote:
Best photo I currently have is of my now sold Albion SL Vinland.

The sword looks awesome but personally I found it a little too heavy for my tastes.

How heavy is it? I've been looking to save for an Albion Jarl. The Vinland is very ornate and gorgeous blade, fit for Leif Ericsson himself!
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this count?         Reply with quote

Marc Blaydoe wrote:
Matthew Harrington wrote:

Thank you for your kind words. No, like King Harold, we had someone else build our ship. She was built in Inyokern CA, at the gateway to the Mojave Desert, strangely enough. I'm sure the builder would be happy for another commission. He really is very reasonable. http://ravenkraft.com. One of his smaller boats was featured in a Capital One barbarians commercial (the one where they visit the Grand Canyon).

The Sae Hrafn (Sea Raven), is a 39' (12m) class A (Div. II) tall ship which is based on similarly sized coastal raiding and defense vessels (i.e. Skuldelev V & Ralswiek/Rugen II ), with the sweeping lines of the classic longships. She was launched in September 2005. The Sae Hrafn replaced the Fyrdraca ( Fire Drake), a lap-strake, 32' (10m) class A (Div II) tall ship based on a 9th century warship excavated in Germany, which had been the organization's primary vessel for nearly 25 years before she was retired. The other vessel currently in use is the Gyrfalcon - so named for the hunting falcons of the far northern regions. It is based on the small, 21' (6.5m), faring boat found in the Gokstad Viking ship burial, and serves primarily as a teaching tool easily transportable overland for exhibits, educational demonstrations, and historical reenactments.

If you happen to be anywhere near the Chesapeake Bay area (greater Washington DC/Baltimore metropolitan area) we are always looking for extra crew.

I've heard of RavenKraft before, Kerry does phenomenal work, how much did such a ship cost you? I'm afraid my group is small, but man would it be cool to sail it around in the Great Lakes! If I'm ever in the area I'll be sure to PM you, it would be quite an experience I'm sure!
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a sample from my collection:
1. Patrick Barta Viking sword
2. Gransfors Bruks Viking battle axe
3. Viking-style shield I got off eBay. Don't remember the maker.
(Actually, I got all these off eBay. There are some great deals there on occasion, if you know what to look for).

Attachment: 97.82 KB
2009-06-10 14-08-50_0020 z1.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are on the tail end of the Viking era, but are close enough. Happy

Albion's Gaddhjalt and a custom broken back sax by Tod's Stuff.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some Albions, a Deltin and a Kris Cutlery Viking

a sword the MAD Dwarves made for me

an old display of my migration stuff with my long sax in the back ground

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome stuff everyone,

David : awesome wall display in that first picture.

I'm afarid I have only this to add

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
James Barker

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Armor class blunt, a spear head from Magic Badger, maille shirt is round riveted alternating with solid links 8mm, helmet is Historic Enterprises (made for the Norman segment on Mail Call), made the shield and the sheath both of which are do for replacement.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I kind of went overboard on viking and migration era stuff LOL. There is more stuff floating around as well

I have admired your sword for some time, its very nice

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Marc Blaydoe

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some camping gear made by our resident blacksmith Bruce Blackistone, along with our smaller boat, the Gyrfalcon at the Swedish-American Museum in Philadephia for Viking Day.

Attachment: 18.14 KB
Camp gear.jpg

Viktor Abrahamson

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An old pic of some viking gear.
Some are sold now and some are modified.

/Viktor
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Our work in progress.

Attachment: 59.34 KB
Viking.jpg

v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Post Your Viking Gear!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: