Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unusual Anglo Saxon Spearheads Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Muse

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Unusual Anglo Saxon Spearheads         Reply with quote

I’ve been speaking with another member about the lack of smiths making the more unusual Anglo Saxon spear heads. This brings me to the question.

In M.J. Swanton’s book “The Spearheads of the Anglo-Saxon Settlements” he shows a corrugated blade on page 116 as a Series I. He attributes it to a characteristic development of certain West Saxon forges. It seems to be a Battersea find from the London Museum A7347. In the description, which I’m not sure of, could the real find be Celtic or based on one of their designs?

In the photos it is labled as "A"

Does anyone know more about this spearhead, especially as to age and which people made it?

There are Anglo Saxon heads like it as the one in photo labled as "C" which he also describes as a find from Droxford, Hants. Does anyone have more information on this one? Especially time frame?

Thanks
Robert

Attachment: 191.59 KB
P1030547 spear 1.JPG

Attachment: 189.69 KB
P1030548 spear 2.JPG

Peter O Zwart

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't actually know anything about these but they seem interesting so this really just a bump. However, I did do a quick search and a poster on another forum suggested that they were corrugated to increase the rigidity of the blade the same way a spine would, but that it was easier to do than a spine. Again I don't actually know anything, but I hope someone else does Happy
Robert Muse

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Spearhead         Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the bump. I was surprised that no one seems to have any input.
Well it appears that the first one is a Type I1 and the second is a type I2
Per Swanton's Classification of anglo Saxon Spearheads

Type I1 This type of spearhead probably represents an English version of the native La Tene type spearheads used since the Celtic Iron Age. They have leaf shaped blades with lunate fullers on the left hand side of each face of the blade. These heads are around 10" - 14" (25cm - 35cm) in length, with the cleft sockets accounting for one-third to half the total length. This type of head is found almost exclusively in Wessex, and appears to have been used by both the West Saxons and Britons. They generally date to the fifth and sixth centuries.

Type I2 These are a more slender form than the I1 type with longer fullers, filling the larger part of the blade. Like the previous type these are probably a development of earlier Celtic types, but are more commonly found in the Midlands and East Anglia. These heads are around 10" - 14" (25cm - 35cm) in length, with the cleft sockets accounting for one-third to half the total length. They generally date to the fifth and sixth centuries.

So there is a good case for them bing Anglo Saxon

Robert
Adam R.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would hate to get jabbed with one of those. Any idea how they were used in combat?
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam R. wrote:
I would hate to get jabbed with one of those. Any idea how they were used in combat?

Jon Snow wrote:
Stab them with the pointy end

Wink

Robert, it's not so much about not having any input, it's more that if you've got Swanton then you know as much as the rest of us.
These spearheads only turn up in graves that we call 'Anglo Saxon' but as the vast majorty of the population of Britain during (and after) the Anglo Saxon period was descended from the pre-Roman inhabitants, there should be no surprise that elements of insular design still show up in spears from the beginning of that period.
However, some of these forms do turn up in continental graves of the period as well so, like anything else relating to this period, you can't really draw any firm conclusions.

I do have a commision in place at the moment for a couple of these unusual forms and will show them off when they arrive.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Robert Muse

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Spearhead         Reply with quote

Good Morning Matthew,

Thanks for your comments. I'm more of a reader than a "poster" and am used to someone out there knowing more than me.

I look forward to seeing your new spearheads.. I gave thought to having one commissioned, but I have to be more careful with funds these days.

By the way, I was one of the first around here to get your book, having a long preorder. I very much enjoyed it.

Robert

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unusual Anglo Saxon Spearheads
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic