Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Freiturnier and Ballienrennen Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Gaál

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Freiturnier and Ballienrennen         Reply with quote

Hello

I found this two words: Freiturnier, Ballienrennen; if I know well free turney the first and tilt the other does mean. What is the difference between the two? I have seen armours attributed with this two worlds but for me they seem the same: armour made for jousting purpose. So what gives the difference between an armour made for Freiturnier and an armour made for Ballienrennen?

Cheers,
Dávid

Dávid

http://energie-fenster.at/

Last edited by David Gaál on Sat 22 Sep, 2012 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't answer your question but I want to give you help on English. Change the spelling of WORLDS, to WORDS. World means Earth or Mars. I can help you more if you want, but I don't want to sound mean.
E Pluribus Unum
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Freiturnier and Ballienrennen         Reply with quote

David Gaál wrote:
Hello

I found this two worlds: Freiturnier, Ballienrennen; if I know well free turney the first and tilt the other does mean. What is the difference between the two? I have seen armours attributed with this two worlds but for me they seem the same: armour made for jousting purpose. So what gives the difference between an armour made for Freiturnier and an armour made for Ballienrennen?

Cheers,
Dávid

I guess Freiturnier might be melee and Ballienrennen might be jousting over a barrier.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sounds right to me, the first I read as "free tourney" the second as some sort of "race", maybe a "hurling race." That seems like a good description of jousting at a barrier to me. Perhaps someone who speaks German well can correct me, but doesn't ballien have something to do with projectiles or ballistics?
David Gaál

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some examples:

[url] http://www.philamuseum.org/collections/perman...R=19189|15 [/url]

[url] http://www.philamuseum.org/collections/perman...R=19189|18 [/url]

I have corrected the world to word Happy Sorry I was after a great hammering and was too tired to care to much about these things.

Thanks

Dávid

Michael Curl

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your welcome. Also, I am thinking that your post is supposed to say "I had just finished a lot of hammering."

If you do not want me to correct your English that is fine. I am just assuming that you would want correction.

E Pluribus Unum
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:
Your welcome. Also, I am thinking that your post is supposed to say "I had just finished a lot of hammering."

Or perhaps he meant he made the post after getting hammered? Razz

Ahem, but seriously.... Just based on the context and the words it sounds like they refer to the type of jousting the armors were intended to be used for.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
David Gaál

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or I have hammered my family with a hammer, and after it, they hammered me too with a hammer which was hammered by a hammer. So we had a great "hammer"time! Laughing Out Loud - Sir Hammer (thanks for the good sense of humor)

Yes Michael my English needs sometimes correction but as it is not my mother tongue I suppose it is quite normal. But if you really want to help me in English I would be happy for it. Maybe once or twice if I read something in English and need someone to explain it's meaning or just have something to translate into English and can't find the correct world it would be great if you could help me out.

But back to the main question: I'm interested in any thoughts about the topic.

Dávid

Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've found some german source on the term Ballienrennen:

"Plankengestech, Ballienrennen oder Welschgestech hieß eine Turnierkampfart, bei der die berittenen Zweikämpfer nach kurzem Anlauf beidseits entlang einer trennenden Planke mit der Lanze gegeneinander anritten. Mit der Lanzenspitze wurde dabei auf die Tartsche gezielt, einen auf der linken Brustseite getragenen Turnierschild. Die Trennung der Bahnen bedingte, dass die Lanzen unter einem Winkel von maximal 75° auftrafen, und somit die Wucht des Stoßes deutlich gegenüber jener beim ®"Scharfrennen" gemindert war. Wegen der Gefahr, vom Pferd gegen die Planke gedrückt zu werden, wurde beim Plankengestech ein Beinschutz getragen."

So it's a specific form of tourney, where both riders were separated by a fence of planks.Since the lanes were separated, the lances would collide at an angle of maximal 75 degree, which would lower the impact in contrast to the so called Scharfrennen. At a Ballienrennen the knights wore a Tartsche and leg armor (the latter because of the danger of being pushed at the planks by the horse).

Hope this does help,
Thomas

PS: I think in this video there might be a good example for a Ballienrennen.

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
David Gaál

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Thomas,

You have found great things. Really interesting. Such planks I have seen before but never thought that they were made so specially. And does Freiturnier mean the same as Scharfrennen?

Thanks
Dávid

Dávid

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Freiturnier and Ballienrennen
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic