Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2012 Settlers Day Manville RI Sept 22-23Event Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: 2012 Settlers Day Manville RI Sept 22-23         Reply with quote

Manville is a small ville within Lincoln, Rhode Island. This will be the tenth year I have attended this event to display swords, talk with the public and generally enjoy a get together with some of the local sword enthusiasts.

The particulars of this public event can be found here
http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandgunclub.org/index.html

Rain or shine, this is an open invitation to display, chat, cut (when there are targets) and generally hang out. Plan on bringing your own chair if we are outside and you are staying the day (we can always shag/borrow a couple few from the club if need be).
If you are bringing in many items, please let me know so we can figure table space. Right now, we have regularly only been able to borrow two long folders but we can stack to an extent.

We have managed very rainy days both outside and indoors one day. We had been set up for all those years right near the edge of the field but this year there is some thought we might set up under the pine trees on the other side of the driveway, next to the hawk throwing.

No two years have been the same and weather wise, we are due for a couple of halcyon autumn days instead of broiling or soaking. It is New England after all.

Any vendor. smith, crafts or demonstrations aside from the general display we share are welcome but if a separate entity with a lot of gear/set up requiring lots of space, please contact the Manville Sportsmen's Club directly to give them a heads up. The main field is fairly spacious and there is an upper field as well but as far as I knw, space is first come first served.

There is a 200yrd range up the hill and lots of things going bang. That is run on a club ticket deal, where one buys tickets to pull the trigger, stuff like that. There has been a Barret .50 there to line up for. Cowboy action fogures from time to time. I missed getting pictures of one guy in cowboy gear doing kata with an ATrim Wink

Family friendly and activities vary. As you can see, there are buses and a wagon to get the public from the main parking, two short blocks away. If you are loading in a bunch, let the orange vest guys know (say Glen told me to) and then drive straight ahead, otherwise, the main entrance is actually another park at the main road in. It is residential for the two blocks from the main road but the club is straight ahead and dead ends. If you are there before they start in the upper lot, just drive straight ahead and right at the end down to the field.

More random pictures and folders here
http://my.opera.com/3sails/albums/

There are hotels/motels in the area and some of the re-enactors have camped out from Friday to Sunday

Cheers

GC

I really may crash in the van overnight this year
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Count me in as usual. Happy I do believe my old man and his buddy will be returning with their antique engine displays this year. The club was really impressed with their stuff and with the crowd it drew, and they really enjoyed setting up too. I'll be bringing some new sharp and pointy lovelies to show off as well. I've also got one of those EZ-Up canopy things. I'll be sure to bring that along so we can have a quick and easy retreat from the sun/rain.

I am hoping to even have some long awaited projects completed by then. Maybe a Conyers falchion or cutlass...? Wink We'll see if my ADD cooperates. The fiancee and I are currently trying to plan a wedding, so we'll see what kind of time I get to dedicate to these things. Either way, I'm looking forward to it as usual.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Josh

I know how it goes with projects. It took me several years to rehilt a sword some years ago. I just finished up a neat spear/lance point from Chris Makin. I say finished for now but I seem to be always tinkering. I bought a spear point from GGGodwin for relatively short bucks but it it is a real boat anchor of cast iron. Also in the midst of redoing the spontoon to a better haft. A handful more old swords as well and a sleeper I will bring with me.

I think the antique engines are a really great addition to this annual.

See you soon

GC

Attachment: 11.75 KB
Makin.JPG

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We are still several weeks from this event and I am replying here for additional awareness. So far, the core group still seems to be just the three of us (Todd, Josh and myself). I think we will have burned out from the heat of this and past seasons, with the past two weekends blazing hot. The long range weather trend still shows a drier than normal September, so chances are we may have a great few days.

Spears have multiplied over the past few years with Josh's additions and now having got a couple hafted myself, along with accruing an A&A Friedrich. The iron $30 G.G.Godwin spear head is a beast Wink

As mentioned, vendors and other groups are welcome. Contact the club for any extraordinary needs for space but there is lots of land to fill and spread out. There have been other blade related crafts fok and a smith that sets up every year. This is typically the one time a year when I look to selling items myself and all at reasonable offers. Cash & carry.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 176.86 KB
long short 002.jpg

Attachment: 175.37 KB
long short 004.jpg

Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think we're going to need a rack dedicated to just polearms. Laughing Out Loud At east we won't have to worry about pesky cavalry charges.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If we end up in the stand of pines, we'll be able to safely lean spears against adjacent tree trunks. The possibilities for racking multiplies (lashing poles for tables even). I have considered another long pole rack but to be honest, the one I have will hold a lot more than we usually need. I have though thought about another table rack to condense my own mess a bit. I really do like having books out so visitors can browse. I am also considering a small table just for the libraries. My van is going to be fairly full as it is (I need to clear out winter's swarf).

We shall see. I am looking forward to the event.

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We are just about a month until the weekend.

The club flyer is here
http://www.msrgc.com/2012_Settlers_Day_Flyer.pdf

MSRandGC@gmail.com for any questions

Early long range predictions show a 60% chance of thunderstorms Saturday but we managed one day outside with some inches of rain in the span of a few hours. Indoor has worked as well but them fiddles get LOUD. I vote for cool, dry and a breeze. The Elvis impersonator has a short set list, so I hope they have some more entertainers than the fiddles (which are cool at a distance) and the Elvis with horns on his Caddy Wink (a decent performer though and he can play some)

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One week to go. The weather looks promising. The leaves are starting early but will be far from the fine foliage soon to descend here.

Cheers

GC
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this certainly crept up fast. So many projects I had hoped to have completed. Sad Oh well, I'll at least have a few new pieces to share. I've got a sexy new Danish axe that is begging to slay some tatami. How are we set for mats?
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Josh

I would expect there to be mats, as Todd is always thinking about it but in my last response in mail from Todd, he did not mention quantities. I am off of cutting things lately as cataract surgery did not happen in time for play. Maybe shoot him a call or email, as I know he is set to go but has been tied up with getting ready for upcoming nuptials. He has definitely said we will set up next to the hawk throwing and in that small pine grove area. I will likely be there and unloading by eight am. I have one small additional table projected to have for the weekend but we should still plan on borrowing two long ones. Someday I may be all set with a better ride and set up stuff.

I do have a long rolled up piece of corrugated I will load and we can always do a run for pumpkins or something. We have only been without mats for one year as they were delayed. This next week is a bit frantic for me but hopefully scheduled well and will be loaded up for a run down there. Ms Quest ('94 Merc Villager) is getting louder again but still working like a Trojan. Happy

I am likely staying over locally at a family roost near there. The longer term projection is that I will be moving down that way within the next year but life has a lot of uncertainty right now. If that follows through, I will be living about ten minutes from the club and have a back yard with woods to play in. I'll miss the pond behind the house here though.

See you soon

GC
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just spoke with Todd via facebook, and he said he will have some bugei wara ready for slaughter. I'm going to see if I can pull together for projects during the week. I'd love to get my hewing spear honed up and re-hafted to cut with. I've also got a nice seax by Paul Binns that I just put a hilt on. I'm planning one making a nice brass trimmed scabbard for it as well; got the leather work mostly done but the brass is a bit tedious and I don't want to rush that one. If I can manage the spear then I'll be satisfied. I should have thought more about my long list of projects before I decided to get married and go back to school. Laughing Out Loud In any case I'm sure we'll have loads of fun like always.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last call for Geritol Wink (my aching back) I done got too old this past decade.

How is it the weekend comes so quickly each year?

Weather looks fine with chancy showers late and early between the two days.

Cheers

GC
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I stopped by the club to check with the higher-ups about space details. The engine displays will be there, and everything else looks good to go. See y'all bright and early tomorrow morning! Happy
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We had a couple of great weather days and the new set up location a real plus, with easy shade.

Click for bigger

A highlight was Josh sailing through both a mat and pvc sheathed stand peg with an old 19th century mounted artillery sword. He mentioned afterward that the experience re-affirmed the worth and blade of an older blade. Todd has a reground Cold Steel 1796 light cavalry trooper sword that also went through its paces. The Japanese like swords still a favorite at the stand but many other favorites were revisited and used.

Until next year

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2012 Settlers Day Manville RI Sept 22-23Event
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic