Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Richard III possibly found? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nicholas A. Gaese

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Richard III possibly found?         Reply with quote

Found this just recently, Pretty cool so I thought I should share.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/battle-sca...ichard-iii

Apperently the skeleton shows signs of scoliosis, though not sever enough to make him a hunch back, but enough to make one shoulder noticibly higher than the other. There were also other interesting things, like the fatal wound to the back of the head, and an arrow head that was lodged between the virtebrea in his back. Wonder if that was ever documented before?

Regards.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A most interesting article. It'd be nice to see some follow-up on this. I guess we'll just have to wait for the DNA testing.
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting.

Having been involved in a genetic genealogy project 6 years ago, however, I'll say that I hope the science has advanced exponentially since then – at that time, there was no way in hell to reach a definitive connection from 16 generations apart...
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Plantagenet descendant         Reply with quote

Apparently British genealogy experts have traced a direct descendant of the Plantagenet line from Richard III's eldest sister, I really wonder how they did that and how their research compares to other such claims around the world.
With a little bit of luck, we may have a modern War of the Roses !

Bon coeur et bon bras
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all Happy

I knew this news on Yahoo in Japan.
ummmmmmm...... I have very simple question... Question

What are they ??? Question Question Question

thanks ^^

I'm interested in Medieval Arms and Armor.
But... My English is very poor ><;
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those dudes? Don't you know, it's all the rage these days to do archaeology in full plate? ^_^

Joking, man!

My guess is they're re-enactors on their way to somewhere, and they stopped to check out what the archaeologists were up to. The photographer caught a lucky moment. Kind of cool, actually!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it is Richard III, I wonder where he will be reburied - perhaps at York, where he remains a popular figure.

I wonder which sister this descendant come form?

Anne, the eldest had one daughter, who died without issue

Elizabeth, married a de la Pole. There were a number of children, but they either died young, went into the Church or were killed by the Tudors. Henry VII and VIII worked hard at getting rid of all the Plantagenet remnants, though a few of them survived into Mary and Elizabeth's times.

Margaret, who married the Duke of Burgundy. She didn't have any children.

Am I missing somebody?
Joseph Fox

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Exciting Times         Reply with quote

This is a project I've been involved with for the last 18 months (it's nice to be finally allowed to start talking about it) - it's been quite a difficult struggle for the team to reach this stage, quite a few funding and logistical holdups along the way- but we're all very excited.

If the find is confirmed (some time in the next 8-12 weeks) the logistics we've been working on will start to role into place.

Everything has been very carefully planned, my specific involvement is as part of the team developing the design of the eventual tomb for the reburial - I can't talk about specifics at this stage, but it's very exciting to be involved in reburial of a Medieval King!

http://www.lostincastles.com/lost-in-castles/#.UFIo-XhD78s
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Anne         Reply with quote

Roger,
according to the press release , it would be Anne, the eldest daughter. The release goes on to say that British genealogists found out this link 10 years ago ( so fairly recent information ?) and the descendant is living in Canada, and named Jeff Ibsen.
I was really hoping that he would be a forumite. But that would maybe be asking too much.
The archeologist in charge who gave the interview to The Telegraph is one Richard Taylor, out of the University of Leicester.
Maybe he could point the way to the team of genealogists who are making the claim of having found a direct desecendant.
I can't help but wonder if the current Royal family has any interest in the subject....

Bon coeur et bon bras
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anne         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Roger,
according to the press release , it would be Anne, the eldest daughter. The release goes on to say that British genealogists found out this link 10 years ago ( so fairly recent information ?) and the descendant is living in Canada, and named Jeff Ibsen.
I was really hoping that he would be a forumite. But that would maybe be asking too much.
The archeologist in charge who gave the interview to The Telegraph is one Richard Taylor, out of the University of Leicester.
Maybe he could point the way to the team of genealogists who are making the claim of having found a direct desecendant.
I can't help but wonder if the current Royal family has any interest in the subject....

I took that information about Anne of York from Wikipedia (so much for Wikipedia). I found Another Article that says Anne of York had another daughter by a second marriage, from whom this Canadian is descended.
Joseph Fox

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: John Ashdown Hill         Reply with quote

The genealogical tracing was done by noted historian John Ashdown Hill, and I believe he was responsible for tracing Mr Ibsen's family in Canada. I think his research on this is on public record so should be available.

From the outset of the project this DNA tracing was essential, since everyone decided unless positive proof could be established as to the identity of any remains discovered it was better for the time being to leave the site undisturbed.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a particular fan of the Wars of the Roses period, this is one of the most exciting news stories I've seen in a long time! I just watched a press conference and you could sense the excitement in the presenter's voice when mentioning the scoliosis.

I look forward to hearing more about this.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

there is now some dispute over where Richard III will be reburied. Originally it was to be in nearby Leicester, but now some Plantagenet descendants are trying to get him moved to York. I think York is a better place, as Richard was much favored in the North. Long ago I visited York Minster. In the chapter house there was a tribute to Richard, saying that he was always a good friend to York. I don't know if it is still there.

Below is a proposed version of the sarcophagus in Leicester. I don't care for it - I think that Richard deserves an effigy

Attachment: 32.67 KB
richard III tomb2.jpg

Attachment: 34.58 KB
richard III tomb1.jpg

Joseph Fox

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice to see the tomb images I did for this project still being circulated.

Personally I'd have preferred an effigy as well, but I wasn't the designer, I was just commissioned to realise the design in the computer throughout the design process. This tomb design was commissioned by the Richard III Society and had been discussed and agreed to by Leicester Cathedral, town council and also discussed at government level - of course everything changed when the amount of money that could be made through tourism was realised. Both of the designers for this tomb who's work I realised in CGI are now working with the Plantagenet alliance having become so disillusioned by the project (and they were involved several years before the archaeologists in Leicester came on board) the behind the scenes politics of this project and quite disgusting - for anyone who's interested google John Ashdown Hill, who's genealogical work was key to the identification of the remains and who Leicester are currently trying very hard to wipe his contribution from history!
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know this is a bit of an old thread, and we're usually all about serious scholarship here ... but I couldn't resist sharing these.

Happy weekend everyone!

Attachment: 28.44 KB
727179268.jpg
From http://thearmitageeffect.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/727179268.jpg?w=652

Attachment: 20.74 KB
facebook_19292.jpg
From http://meandrichard.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/facebook_19292.jpg

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As usual, there's more to the story:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/2...-academics
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ushio Kawana wrote:
Hi all Happy

I knew this news on Yahoo in Japan.
ummmmmmm...... I have very simple question... Question

What are they ??? Question Question Question

thanks ^^

I think it is not a coincidence that one of them is wearing Richard's colours. Perhaps a honour guard? usually reburying a monarch requires a level of pomp.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are two re-enactors/professional historical interpreters brought in for the photo shoot. I believe one now sports are rather nice cuirass by Mr J Davis, see elsewhere...
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a New Article about Richard III and his spinal problems.

Also, after some legal maneuvering, it appears that he will be reburied in Leicester after all. Too bad - IMO, York would have been the better place for him.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Richard III possibly found?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic