Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tyrolean and Marozzo waxes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Tyrolean and Marozzo waxes         Reply with quote

Pictures of these in progress can be found on Albion's and Albion Europes Facebook pages. The Marozzo pommel looks especially attractive.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...And here is some recent progress.
The lower ring of the hilt is now shaped and fitted.
It now remains to go over the hilt checking weight, proportions, straightness and fit.

The style of this hilt is inspired by an original in the Deutsches Klingenmuseum, (the original is a Norman Type 43: my version is a Norman Type 39). The type and style of this hilt would have been contemporary to Achille Marozzo.

The finished sword will weight a tad over 1100 grams (-not sure how much the grip will add at this time).
Blade is 895 millimeter from the quillons to the point.
The point of balance will be about 55 millimeter in front of the forward ring.
-These are naturally preliminary numbers. As the first prototype is built there will be more reliable information.

The blade on this sword is designed to represent those fast and thin cut and thrust blades that can be found on swords of this period. I have documented a number of such swords in the Victoria & Albert museum, the Wallace Collection, the Skokloster Armoury and the Royal Armoury in Stockholm. Influences from these have impacted the design of the Marozzo in terms of dynamic balance of the sword and handling characteristics of the blade.

Attachment: 88.94 KB
DSC05957_2.jpg

Attachment: 79.74 KB
DSC05958_2.jpg

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Exciting news! I've become very interested in these swords, and this one is going to be a beautiful example. Thanks for sharing!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the Marozzo a training sword? It seems that it is going to have a more elaborate hilt than any Next Gen.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 04 Sep, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Is the Marozzo a training sword? It seems that it is going to have a more elaborate hilt than any Next Gen.

Like all the Albion Maestros, it will be a practice/re-enactment/stage combat blunt sword.

It looks great. When it comes out, I will seriously consider getting it.
William P

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a very nice looking side sword there in the marozzo, maybe one day ill have the money to get one, ive become more and more interested in that era of swordsmanship especially considering most of the manuals cover that era of the side sword and early rapier.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words.

The Marozzo is indeed a sword for the Maestro line of training blunts. As the other swords in that group it will have a less elaborate finish than Next Generation swords, but the casting process is more or less the same. The hilts of the Maestro line are cast in a more stain resistant alloy that provide a fine grain and a high resiliency.

We have long wanted to expand into more elaborate hilts and this is one of the first steps on the way to get there. I am much aware that there are customers waiting for the hilts of the type XIX bastard swords. They will benefit from what we learn in producing this sword. It will also open up the door for other projects with later era swords of various kinds.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, this is excellent as always!
Will you also sell a sharp version?

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
P. Norton

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is beautiful. I'm glad to see you progressing toward more complex hilts. A sharp with a similar style hilt would make a fantastic addition to the Next Generation line -- I hope something like that is in the works for the future.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Norton wrote:
That is beautiful. I'm glad to see you progressing toward more complex hilts. A sharp with a similar style hilt would make a fantastic addition to the Next Generation line -- I hope something like that is in the works for the future.

In the Machiavelli, with its XIX blade, Albion does have a sharp sword with a simple compound hilt. And someday those 2 German bastards will be released.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger that is why I questioned this hilt on a training blunt. I have owned a Machiavelli and although the hilt was interesting and complex compared to a simple cruciform, what we see with this new hilt is a big step up, not just because of the rings but because of all the finer details on the cross and the very beautiful pommel. As I said this hilt outdoes anything in the Next Gen line with regards to complexity. I would think what is their premier product line (apart from the museum line) would lead in terms of development, not their training blunts line.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to see it on a sharp, too, but I'm not sure Albion has an existing blade for it. Developing a completely new blade to work with an existing hilt would take awhile. It'd be forever out of my reach, anyway. I'm just an Albion spectator. Another reason I wish Albion would sell rough hilt castings (though I understand why they don't)!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Roger that is why I questioned this hilt on a training blunt. I have owned a Machiavelli and although the hilt was interesting and complex compared to a simple cruciform, what we see with this new hilt is a big step up, not just because of the rings but because of all the finer details on the cross and the very beautiful pommel. As I said this hilt outdoes anything in the Next Gen line with regards to complexity. I would think what is their premier product line (apart from the museum line) would lead in terms of development, not their training blunts line.

-Yes, it is a surprise, isnīt it?

Nice to not be completely predicable sometimes ;-)

Making a NG hilt of this complexity means a lot more finishing work on a level that is not done right now. The Maestroīs are not finished the same way and so makes it possible to try out other aspects of the production of a complex hilt without also going into the complexities of finishing (as well as other aspects apart from this).

The hilt of the Maestro Line Meyer is fairly detailed for a training sword. Look also at the hilts of the swords in the Skirmish line. They are "simple" hilts but with a lot of definition in the detailing. Much more so than many other sharp swords on the market.
The Marozzo follows this in its design and execution.

-Hope it is a pleasant surprise!
:-)
Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Super. I can't wait to own one.

And maybe put it on the cover of a Tom Swan book...

Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So the blade will be around 35 inches long, and the sword will weigh in at around 2.45 lbs. Peter says that the blade will be thin, though I imagine that it will be wider than the one on the upcoming Maestro Capoferro rapier.

When it comes out, it will be interesting to compare the Marozzo with the A&A trainer side sword. There won't be much difference in the price.
William P

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this sword would work very well with the fighting styles of george silvers broadsword wouldnt it?
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Silver would have suggested a bit more hand protection - at least a knuckle guard, if not a full basket; and, at least for me, a longer blade to be of 'perfect length'.

That said, I'm really looking forward to this sword!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tyrolean and Marozzo waxes
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic