Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Find-it Armory Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Find-it Armory         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with Find-it Armory? How are the helms? They seem inexpensive but that raises flags to me... Please, any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Scott
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott, I have purchased a couple of items from that source. The helms were functional but comparatively crudely finished, as you would expect from the prices. Overall I was pleased, since I was looking for decorator pieces only. The mail is as good as any on the market, and quite a bargain as well. If you buy multiple items you can get a discount, also.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Scott, I have purchased a couple of items from that source. The helms were functional but comparatively crudely finished, as you would expect from the prices. Overall I was pleased, since I was looking for decorator pieces only. The mail is as good as any on the market, and quite a bargain as well. If you buy multiple items you can get a discount, also.

What's the url to this "Find-it Armoury"?

Alexi

P.S. I figured it out. It is Armo*ry and not Armoury Laughing Out Loud
www.finditarmory.com
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have seen this picture on several sites and it is partially tempting, but I just cannot believe that it is worth even being considered. It is listed at below $100, where as a similar design basinet from a respectable makers (Valentine armoury for example) are more than $500.

Has anyone had experience with the this basinet?

Thanks,

Alexi

Attachment: 18.84 KB
basinet.jpeg

Attachment: 34.15 KB
basinet2.jpeg
The one from Valentine armouries
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi, the URL for this supplier is http://finditarmory.com/

The cheaper pigface bascinets are generally poorly dimensioned and not very large. If your skull is above medium, don't expect to be able to wear it or to see out of the visor. If all you want is a display piece, whatever looks OK would do, but you should not expect a cheap helm to be wearable.

I happen to own a cheaper bascinet of the exact type shown in your picture. It is large enough to wear, and well finished enough to be displayed without shame. Mine is on display in my office, with a butted aventail bought from another source attached. I have a Valentine helm of the type pictured on order. Their helms are leather lined, are made to fit your individual head circumference, and are fitted with a rivetted aventail, which explains the price.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Alexi, the URL for this supplier is http://finditarmory.com/

The cheaper pigface bascinets are generally poorly dimensioned and not very large. If your skull is above medium, don't expect to be able to wear it or to see out of the visor. If all you want is a display piece, whatever looks OK would do, but you should not expect a cheap helm to be wearable.

I happen to own a cheaper bascinet of the exact type shown in your picture. It is large enough to wear, and well finished enough to be displayed without shame. Mine is on display in my office, with a butted aventail bought from another source attached. I have a Valentine helm of the type pictured on order. Their helms are leather lined, are made to fit your individual head circumference, and are fitted with a rivetted aventail, which explains the price.

Thanks Steve.

That about sums up what I thought.

I am really wanting the Valentine armoury basinet, but there are just too many swords that I want. I do not know when I am going to start investing in good armor, but this basinet (maybe with the brass lining on the visor) is top on my list.

Alexi
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:

I am really wanting the Valentine armoury basinet, but there are just too many swords that I want. I do not know when I am going to start investing in good armor, but this basinet (maybe with the brass lining on the visor) is top on my list.

Alexi

I have already taken delivery on a Valentine Armoury bascinet with nasal guard, and am very pleased with it. Workmanship is excellent, and the finish is just polished enough to be above munition grade, but not too shiny, which is the way I like my armor pieces. The quality of this helm convinced me to order two more similar bascinets with visors from them. If you want a helm that you can wear comfortably and is authentic down to the finest detail, a Valentine Amoury product or similar custom item is the way to go. They are worth the extra dollars, and worth the four or five month wait to receive the finished product.
Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: helms         Reply with quote

Steve-
So you're saying that if it fits your head it's ok, but if not then not? I don't mean to be ignorant but wouldn't that be true of any "one size fits all" maker? You said you have the bascinet and it's functional? I'm wondering if they're flimsy, poor construction, leather lined and all of that. Please, no offense, but could you give a little more info if you've had experience with these?

Thanks again, in advance...
Scott
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott, the helms that I have bought from Find-It are a Spangenhelm and a German sallet with articulated neck guard. The Spangenhelm is quite solid, possibly 16 gauge. It may be a tight fit for some people because the nasal guard wraps back under a bit, but otherwise it is more than large enough to fit my plus size head with room for padding. The German Sallet is also quite large, but it is probably only 18 gauge, and its workmanship is less adequate. It came with some scratches, and a sloppily applied black enamel inner coat to prevent rust that seeped out between the neck lames. The Sallet cleaned up reasonably well, but it is still no showpiece. Both of these helms are reasonable value for the price, in my opinion.

The pigface bascinet is an item I bought a few years ago, before the prices came down so drastically. It is quite solid, at least 18 gauge, and very highly polished. There is just enough room inside for me to wear it with an arming cap. The visor does not fit the bascinet as precisely as it might, so the gap on one side is marginally wider than the gap on the other. I believe I paid $145 for it, and would think that it is a bargain if it is now available for substantially less than that.

Last edited by Steve Fabert on Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: helms         Reply with quote

Steve-
Thank you for your quick response! The Sallet is exactly the one I was leaning towards. They offer the unvisored in 16 g. for an extra $10. But I think the visor is what I want. As this is my first helm, I'm not overly needy of a showpiece, still, I don't want to be a laughing stock either Big Grin

I think I'll give it a shot.... unless someone out there is screaming "FOUL!!". Let me know...

Thanks again, Steve.
Scott
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott, you will probably want to find a bevor to go with the German Sallet. I can't recommend the bevors that are offered by Find-It, but there are a variety of other sources for functional bevors. With a bevor it looks pretty intimidating on my mannequin head.

Looking at the Find-It catalog page, the helms I have are the number HM1028 Norman Helm and the HM1039 Visored German Sallet. Although the picture of item HM1015 looks very much like my pigface bascinet, mine was bought from another source three years ago, and so I can't really vouch for the Find-It version of that one.
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want a tough pig-face, and don't care for authenticity, Forth Armory has SS ones for $250 (in 14ga!). They also have SS Sugarloafs and Great Helms as well.

Very good helms for "live" steel practice and jousting.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
If you want a tough pig-face, and don't care for authenticity, Forth Armory has SS ones for $250 (in 14ga!). They also have SS Sugarloafs and Great Helms as well.

Very good helms for "live" steel practice and jousting.

Thanks Lloyd,
I have seen those, and they look OK, but the stainless steel make bugs me, since I do care A LOT (maybe too much for the good of my own check-book) about authenticity. I have not heard from anyone that actually have tried them on. I also worry about the fit and spaces between the visor and the basinet.

It is good to have that option out there though.

Alexi

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Find-it Armory
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic