Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: Del Tin/Albion Braveheart Scabbard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Crusader Monk: Del Tin/Albion Braveheart Scabbard         Reply with quote

I just completed a lot of work on this Del Tin/Albion Braveheart Sword for a fellow forumite.

First off, the sword needed sharpened. I invested a couple hours with my mill file and sharpening stones putting a razor-sharp edge on it. There was a ton of meat to take off the blade to get it sharp, the edge was about 3mm thick. And this is a pretty hard steel as well, so it was a good bit of work. However, I know it's sharp as hell because I cut myself on it three seperate times. Laughing Out Loud

Next, the peen. I do not know who peened this sword, but it was the worst peen I had ever seen in my entire life. It appeared as if the tang was a bit too long out of the pommel, so whoever peened it flattened the excess steel into a mushroom with cracks all along the sides. There was just too much metal there. Additionally, the pommel rattled and spun like a wheel when you turned it. Definately not good. So, I ground off the excess metal, repeened tight from red hot, and smoothed up the finish. It looks much better now than it did, and the pommel does not spin any more.

Lastly, I did a wood core scabbard for it. The customer wanted something which went only to the leather-covered ricasso. I constructed the scabbard as I normally would, except on the rear of the scabbard, I left a square cut out which would allow the sword to be inserted up the the ricasso's riser for aesthetics and a nice, tight fit. The scabbard cover is a mix of dark and medium browns to accent the ricasso and grip color on the sword itself. There are 4 risers total on the scabbard, two at the top and two at the bottom to match the grip of the blade. There is no chape on this scabbard, as it is not intended for carrying the blade as much as it is for safely storing it. Large two handers like this did not traditionally have scabbards, so there is no suspension with this package.

An austere, but nice package for a legenday movie sword! Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Kuo Xie

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice clean work on that sword... it really was THE iconic movie sword for my generation. Seeing these pictures is enough to make the theme of the movie start playing in my head!
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment!

On another note, I know what you are saying. In my opinion, there are 5 swords which are the definitive legendary film blades:

1. Excalibur from Excalibur
2. Narsil / Anduril from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
3. The Father's Sword from Conan the Barbarian
4. The Highlander Katana from the Highlander
5. The William Wallace Sword from Braveheart

If I had things my way, I'd have a really well done replica of each in one single display case in my den backed by the movie poster from each film. As it stands now, the only one I personally own is Narsil which I have on display in my office wall. What's ironic is that the Narsil is the cheapest sword I own and is wholly non-functional - but its the one everyone wants to see and hold from my collection. Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent job on fixing the old boy up. Think the Albion Deltins were assembled by Albion when they used and sold Deltin products. Not sure if the parts were made by Albion or Deltin back then.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: Del Tin/Albion Braveheart Scabbard
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic