Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mysterious Old Bayonet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jon Russo

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Mysterious Old Bayonet         Reply with quote

Hello All,

I've asked questions on my finds in the past and I am grateful. Here's another gem I'd like to get information on if you're so willing.
In the 1930's my father used to visit a junk yard in New Orleans and search for things that little boys like: muskets, swords, WW I helmets, and other war related items.

He purchased 4 Civil War era muskets and swords for mere quarters and cleaned them up to bring them back to life. One item was always referred to as a French bayonet. (Pictured) It is 22" long and three sided. There is no 'blood gutter" on the blade. The hole in which the base of the bayonet is attached to the muzzle of the rifle is 15/16" in diameter. I can't quite understand how it is attached to the rifle but it appears to twist on the barrel. On the goose neck of the bayonet the numbers "543" can be found. There is a small circular indentation at the top of the goose neck where it connects to the blade.

My 85 year old, WW II disabled Vet, father lost everything in his home during Katrina however he had a few treasures in his attic. This was one of them.

Can anyone give me information on this bayonet? My guess is that it is from the Franco Prussian war and made its way to the US for the Civil War. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Jon

Attachment: 143.84 KB
Fr bayonet1.JPG
This bayonet is three sided and 22" long.

Attachment: 105.45 KB
Fr bayonet5.JPG
This is the end of the bayonet that attaches to the gun muzzle.

Attachment: 148.69 KB
Fr bayonet3.JPG
This is the part of the bayonet where "543" can be found. It is hard to discern.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mysterious Old Bayonet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic