Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion & The Arn Movie(s) - Official Thread Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Mikael Ranelius

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alfonso Asensio wrote:
Actually, I dont believe the movie it is yet available even in most European countries. I just got to see it though coincidence.
I should say that, since most Swedish people seem to be bilingual at least or have a fairly advance knowledge of English, part of the movie is actually in English, I think most of the part in the Holy Land (when Arn is overseas) and those moments when he is talking to “foreigners” are in English (I think about 30% of the movie or so, please correct me if I got that wrong).
It is quite amazing that you can film a movie en two languages and have your audience understanding everything or comfortable enough not to complain. As a Southern European, I have always admired that from the countries in the north of Europe

In fact the English-speaking parts of the movie has Swedish subtitles, so I guess we're not that impressive Wink

By the way, I think the second movie is not as good as the first. It has too many plot-holes and the story is very cut down compared to the books; unless you haven read them it can be hard to follow the plot. Even if we are to ignore the gross distortion of 12-13th century Swedish history, the plot doesn't come out as credible or convincing, the movie is ripe with tiresome clichés (taken from previous movies such as Gladiator, Braveheart, Kingdom of Heaven etc) and the characters remain "flat" and uninteresting although Nätterqvist is great portraying Arn and Skarsgård is excellent as Birger Brosa. In the end though I'm not very impressed with Kingdom at the road's end. Out of a scale of 1-5 I would give it a 2
Felix R.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just saw that Amazon.de is selling a German version from 20th of February on Big Grin
Jason V.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a copy of both movies with English subtitles(except for the English speaking parts of the movies of course).
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where was it available Jason?
Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Felix R.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the Amazon reviews it is written that the not swedish language versions are cut considerably. This is, the two movies were cut to make one movie, with all resulting inconsistancies one can think of. Is this the same for the English subtitled version?
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just noticed they have this movie now for rental or sale on iTunes... I am very excited I have been wanting to see this! It says it is in english, so we'll see.
Z
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know you can get it through NetFlix because I just sent it back after watching it a few dozen times.

Big Grin

Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just saw a DVD set, locally, of the Arn movie in the original Swedish and the full 6 hour ( If I remember correctly ) mini-series with English sub-titles.

Although I did buy and see the shortened dubbed in English version, but I want to ask how much more content there is to the story that was edited out ?

I'm assuming that it would be worth seeing this version as I don't mind reading sub-titles and there is an advantage in hearing the actors real voices and emotions even when one doesn't understand the language.

So, anyone who has seen the long and short versions what was I missing in plot/battles etc ...... No spoilers, just a general review of the long version. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

I've seen the original version and the DVD cut version. The films are different as night and day, as will happen when you cut 4 or so hours out of over 6 hours of film. The original consists of both Arn the Templar and Arn the Templar: Kingdom at Road's End. It would be well-worth seeing the original, as the cut version leaves out several key plot points which are integral to the story. The chopped up version misses these points completely, and the finished product just does not stand well on it's own in comparison.

In the cut version, they leave out much of Arn's youth at the monastary, including an awesome fight scene where Arn saves a woman from bandits. All of Arn's training and such are left out. The romantic story in the short version is underdeloped and hastened to an end. They also leave out much of the strife Cecilla suffers at the convent. The cut version hits on Arn's time as a crusader naturally, but they drop alot of the details in that portion of the story. And lastly, literally decades of time are missed where Arn returns home and establishes himself while the powers that be play political games garnering for power.

Get the original long version. It's well-worth it. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks JE, and the DVD box set of the 6 episode mini series is only $35.00 approximately.

Sounds like a much better story " long version ". Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I concur, the long version is very much a better movie experience. The short version leaves you with a bad taste, especially if you have already seen the original.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just stumbled across this:

http://www.movie-object-reproduction.com/PBSC...PGFLngID=0

Now you can get a real Arn sword!

From the website (via the always hilarious Google translate):
This is a real sword fight (unlike the useless version of "Albion Armorers Swords" in combat) with excellent balance and indestructible It is 200% functional and guaranteed for life by the French Master Blacksmith ensuring itself the service.
Julian Behle

Reading list: 22 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice blade, if you want to kill someone by lifting it. Sadly, I don't speak French. I guess, there has already been a French master smith who convinced me a way more. Well, but if its blunt enough, the wall hanger community and some children will make it a best seller.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, their webpage mentions something about a laser, so I would assume that they're commenting on the fact that they use a different process to make their swords.

And, if the outcome is anything to judge by, it seems to be a vastly inferior process. ;-)

If I ever want to buy an Arn Sword, I know who I won't be ordering it from, and it's not Albion. But, isn't it inappropriate for them to be mentioning a competitor by name for the purpose of denigrating that competitor's product? Can't Albion sue?
Meng Lee Khaw

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
But, isn't it inappropriate for them to be mentioning a competitor by name for the purpose of denigrating that competitor's product? Can't Albion sue?

Well, depending on how they worded their comment and the context in which Albion is placed...if indeed they allude to Albion's sword's being useless or unsuitable for combat etc then there may be a case for a lawsuit. Then again who has the time or money for a legal case? So a strongly worded letter from Albion may be enough to get the text changed to where Albion is not mentioned.

Of course, the bigger issue is if the frenchy site is not licensed to produce Arn merchandise...then the studio gets into it and sues their pants off.
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Arn - The Knights Templar Complete Series         Reply with quote

Hello all
I just received confirmation that my set of "Arn - The Knights Templar" complete series on Blu Ray shipped today ...
With shipping it was 25.00$ ... I purchased it on Amazon ... I picked up the movie - subtitled in English - a few years back - I am hoping the series will flesh out the story a bit ...
Thanks !
Tim

Tim Mathews
Steve Milberger

PostPosted: Fri 12 Apr, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Arn - The Knights Templar Complete Series         Reply with quote

Tim Mathews wrote:
Hello all
I just received confirmation that my set of "Arn - The Knights Templar" complete series on Blu Ray shipped today ...
With shipping it was 25.00$ ... I purchased it on Amazon ... I picked up the movie - subtitled in English - a few years back - I am hoping the series will flesh out the story a bit ...
Thanks !
Tim

The complete series is much better than the two-hour movie. I originally watched the movie a year ago and a lot of it didn't make sense. I got the complete series on blu-ray last summer and watched it. The story makes sense now that there 4 hours of footage have been added. The complete series is much more enjoyable.
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Tue 14 May, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Meng Lee Khaw wrote:
Well, depending on how they worded their comment and the context in which Albion is placed...if indeed they allude to Albion's sword's being useless or unsuitable for combat etc then there may be a case for a lawsuit. Then again who has the time or money for a legal case? So a strongly worded letter from Albion may be enough to get the text changed to where Albion is not mentioned.

Of course, the bigger issue is if the frenchy site is not licensed to produce Arn merchandise...then the studio gets into it and sues their pants off.

I just stumbled across that site myself and was curious, so I ran it through Google translate. I'm somewhat perplexed by some of its claims. Although it didn't say it outright, it also appeared to be trying to imply that Albion swords are made in Asia.

I can't help feeling that it's unlikely to go down as one of the marketing greats, though. Considering anybody prepared to part with that sort of money is likely to be interested in modern reproductions in general, they'll already be well aware of Albion's actual reputation, and will think to themselves "hmm" and move on.
Meng Lee Khaw

PostPosted: Tue 14 May, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christine H wrote:

I just stumbled across that site myself and was curious, so I ran it through Google translate. I'm somewhat perplexed by some of its claims. Although it didn't say it outright, it also appeared to be trying to imply that Albion swords are made in Asia.

I can't help feeling that it's unlikely to go down as one of the marketing greats, though. Considering anybody prepared to part with that sort of money is likely to be interested in modern reproductions in general, they'll already be well aware of Albion's actual reputation, and will think to themselves "hmm" and move on.

I think their target would be first time or casual collectors who have money to burn and are unfamiliar to the market...at the price they are pitching at they wouldn't need too many rubes to start making a profit.

In a way, sites like this(myArmoury) are a blessing for collectors who want to do a bit of research beforehand...
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Tue 14 May, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Meng Lee Khaw wrote:
I think their target would be first time or casual collectors who have money to burn and are unfamiliar to the market...at the price they are pitching at they wouldn't need too many rubes to start making a profit.

In a way, sites like this(myArmoury) are a blessing for collectors who want to do a bit of research beforehand...

You're probably right, sadly: there's that "ebay effect" thing where I often think to myself "you're paying how much?!" when I see someone bidding a real premium for something that's still available for sale new in the shops at a much lower price. Then again, I can't sound smug as I did that once myself: fortunately it only cost me a tenner or so, but I'd like to think I learnt my lesson... And as you say, sites like this are a wealth of information: hopefully they'll display prominently enough for people who go looking!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion & The Arn Movie(s) - Official Thread
Page 6 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: