Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Crecy Grete Swerde Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The jack of all trades look was what initially attracted me to the first Crecy. From the concept drawing, I have to say I like the lines of the old one better, but either one would be perfect. Thanks to all for shedding light on this topic. Is it just me, or does it look like they're shortening the hilt in the NG concept drawing?
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

I agree with your first statement above, but not the last one. Happy It's important to keep in mind that the Next Gen's are designed by Peter Johnsson, who has handled and examined many, many antiques. He is also one of the top custom smiths in the world. His swords (and those designed by him) will perform as well as their historic counterparts. He's not going to design a dud. Cool

AT's may cut soda bottles, etc. more handily in some people's hands. They may be some modern martial artists's choice for these cutting mediums, but that doesn't make them "pack leaders" in terms of cutting. In my opinion, the Next Gen's are not going to lag behind AT's in cutting ability. Neither sword will steer you wrong in terms of performance.

I stand corrected! Sincere apologies if I gave the impression that Peter's designs were somehow inferior; that was not what I meant at all. My thought was based on what I understand to be the slight differences in the apparent design philosophies of Peter and Gus - ie Peter is going for pure historical accuracy (of high performance originals), while Gus is trying to increase the performance of historical models in any way he can. I would never suggest that Peter would design a dud that couldn't cut, but it was my understanding that if improvement in performance could be made, Gus would attempt it; while Peter would strive for the best possible recreation of the original piece. Neither philosophy is better or worse, and when it boils down to it, there may be no discernible difference in performance between two like swords designed by Peter and Gus. I used the term 'pack leaders' in the context above more to denote that performance is the focus of the ATrim line, above and beyond all else, and thus an AT might be a better choice for a swordsperson with that value in mind.

These are just the impressions I have gained through reading the posts of Peter and Gus respectively, and those of satisfied users who own swords by either or both makers. If any of the above is off base in any way, I welcome clarification from anyone who can offer it! Happy
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Hmm. Now, do I keep my Mark II Crecy, or sell and go for the NextGen..........

The Mark II has such character, probably one of my favs... I don't think I can part with it, but! Mmm. NextGen.

It's an interesting question, isn't it - sell a sword in order to 'upgrade', or keep ahold of the older model? Personally, I've never been an upgrader unless I found the original to be wanting in some way; and this applies to everything from my swords to my electronics. As far as the Crecy goes, I couldn't be happier with my Mark 1, and I have no desire to replace it with a Mark 2 or Next Gen. It's a Grete Swerde, even if the newer ones are Even Bettere Swerdes. Laughing Out Loud

As far as Albion's Next Gen line goes, I have my eye on their Knecht Kriegsmesser, and their Viking Vinland or Berserkr...Those are some tough decisions!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
The jack of all trades look was what initially attracted me to the first Crecy. From the concept drawing, I have to say I like the lines of the old one better, but either one would be perfect. Thanks to all for shedding light on this topic. Is it just me, or does it look like they're shortening the hilt in the NG concept drawing?

The grip could be shorter, but I really don't see a significant difference.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the proposed Next Gen 'Crecy'. 'Seems a good compromise between my old MK1's blade profile and something like the more tapered Hanwei hand-and-a-half (this one has been shortened to a 34" blade). Any thought given to going with the hexagonal cross-section beyond the fuller, or would that move it too far beyond its price niche?

Mike

(yeah, crappy pic, but it does illustrate the blade taper)

Attachment: 100.96 KB
Untitled-1.JPG

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael G. Myers wrote:
I like the proposed Next Gen 'Crecy'. 'Seems a good compromise between my old MK1's blade profile and something like the more tapered Hanwei hand-and-a-half (this one has been shortened to a 34" blade). Any thought given to going with the hexagonal cross-section beyond the fuller, or would that move it too far beyond its price niche?

Mike

(yeah, crappy pic, but it does illustrate the blade taper)

Hey Mike,

A Hexagonal cross-section would move it towards the realm of a wide Type XVII (which we already have in the Landgraf and Sempach) and away from being the Type XVIa that we were striving for. The geometries (in profile) are a bit different between the two types.

Think of the upcoming Crecy as a big brother to the Prince and Squire blade.

Jason Dingledine
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I separated the posts regarding the definition of "performance" into their own topic. Please continue that discussion there.

Thanks!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam,
If you're still interested in getting a Crecy, one just popped up on the SFI classifieds for a GREAT price (including Albion campaign scabbard). For the price, it might be worth the "nightmare logistics" of acquiring it at this time, as you mentioned. Here's the link:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...adid=43614
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! I appreciate the heads up. :-)
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Crecy Grete Swerde
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: