Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Twinned pair of rapiers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mathias B.

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Twinned pair of rapiers         Reply with quote

I found this
Rapier
on the homepage of a German auctioner. I have never heard of a twinned pair of rapiers. I somehow like the idea, though. So I wanted to ask if someone knows more about this kind of rapier. Perhaps somebody has information on the style of fighting with those. Was there ever made a replica of such a pair?

BTW: You might want to look at the auctioner's homepage, (http://www.hermann-historica.com/).They have some quite interesting swords and also armour, pole-arms ...

Otium et reges prius et beatas perdidit urbes
(Gaius Valerius Catullus)
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Twinned pair of rapiers         Reply with quote

Mathias B. wrote:
I found this
Rapier
on the homepage of a German auctioner. I have never heard of a twinned pair of rapiers. I somehow like the idea, though. So I wanted to ask if someone knows more about this kind of rapier. Perhaps somebody has information on the style of fighting with those. Was there ever made a replica of such a pair?

BTW: You might want to look at the auctioner's homepage, (http://www.hermann-historica.com/).They have some quite interesting swords and also armour, pole-arms ...

Agrippa definitely has some info on how to use two rapiers at once. I think Di Grassi might as well but its been awhile since I've looked at rapier texts.
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is where the term "a case of Rapiers" (commonly, although I believe incorrectly, referred to as fighting "Florentine")originally came from.

I have a Xerox copy of an Auction catalog from a German Auction that was held in the early 90's that's theme was "Combination weapons". In that auction were I think 4 sets of these (complete pairs, in the original scabbards).

What was really interesting to me was that all of them (I think) had the exact same appearance, notably that it really did appear to be sawn down the middle, tang, hilt, pommel and all. I'm not sure if that's how they were truly fabricated, but the cross sections are really keen to see... Happy

I'll see if I can scan the images of the Catalog and send them on to Nathan to post.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As already mentioned, these are commonly known as a "Case of Rapiers". They consist of a matched pair of swords, one for each hand. They're made to fit together and rest in the same scabbard as if one sword. The swordplay surrounding these types of weapons was extensively covered by Di Grassi, Marozzo, and others. Di Grassi and Marozzo take different approaches to the way they describe the use of these weapons, but they are well illustrated in the various texts. If I remember right, Di Grassi describes using the forward sword for defense, the feint, and to find and engage the opponent's weapon(s). The second sword was used for the attack.

Here are some authentic examples:

Click for detailed version

Left to right: Germany, circa 1590, Circa 1580, Circa 1560

Click for detailed version

Left to right: Milan, circa 1620; Milan, circa 1605; Venice, circa 1550

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...or Nathan may already have a set of color photo's from the same Catalog which he will post on his own... Happy

Nathan, I am beginning to wonder why we haven't crossed paths yet. We seem to travel in the same circles and collect the same images, tres peculiar... Happy
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, im not very well versed on rapiers, but i just wanted to say thanks for the awsome site. Big Grin
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have read that the "Florentine" description of fighting style was an invention of the SCA folk.

I recognize one of the photos Nathan posted from a page Scott Bubar posted to a thread once
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/fencing/blades.html

I'll admit to messing around with an odd matched pair and have always lusted after a true case. I know Darkwood offers them (too many wants and not enough cash flow).

The biggest trick is not getting your points tangled in each other.
Because of this, when you parry with your off hand (whichever of the moment Wink ) The length of your blocking weapon tends to leave you further open when recovering. You also present a broader target at most intervals because you are trying to keep two long points in play.

Even when doing single sword forms I try to do the same practice left and right handed. The occasional play with two has helped, or vice versa.

Cheers

GC
Mathias B.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the info everybody
Otium et reges prius et beatas perdidit urbes
(Gaius Valerius Catullus)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Twinned pair of rapiers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic