Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Lutel available at Kult of Athena. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Lutel available at Kult of Athena.         Reply with quote

Was just now browsing at Kult of Athena and saw this: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Katzbalger

And other Lutel swords. Big Grin Cool

Of all the ones they currently have in stock I really like the Katzbalger and there aren't very many production Katzbalgers out there.

I really like the pommel and the way it transitions into the wood handle and the guard looks nice.

Also for the reasonable prices for the Lutel swords they all seem to come with good looking scabbards.

Anyway, thought I would give everyone here a heads-up about it. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Jean!

Glad to see KOA stocking Lutel swords. now if they could just get in some of their halberds...

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see if they stock any rapiers.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed, I noticed them at KOA last night in a fit of insomnia. I concur with Jean, of the Lutel's at KOA, the Katzbalger is certainly the best looking to my eyes.

While many of their medieval swords look generally clean and well made, there's something almost mass produced looking about them now. Take a look at most of the leather grips, very cheap and same looking, almost looks like leather tape. Of course that is easily remedied by those so inclined. But no doubt, the basic package and designs look good and for the prices are tempting.

In comparison, I feel they're definitely ahead of Del Tin in general consistency, similar price ranges in many cases. But IMO, Lutel is just a step or two away from a 'gotta have one'. But then that Katzbalger, very nice.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
William P

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

as long as they stock those zweihanders im satisfied..
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish they were peened... They are all listed as threaded or nut.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depending on the exchange rate, it is cheaper to order directly. Have a longsword being mailed Monday that was a little over 500.00 USD including shipping.

I have never read of the threaded assembly Lutel uses ever failing. Jan will peen the swords for a small additional fee though.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'm with William P, i've had my heart set on a two hander with parrying lugs and hilt rings for some time now. Lutel seems to offer the only production pieces that have something close to the Montante style that i've been researching.

i've always tended to think that lute does have good looking blade styles in production, but some of the grips do look a little common. but a two hander at the right price - i don't think that would be a factor for me.

other than lutel, i've been looking at the del tin italian two hander that KOA has in stock.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me, the grips do look too modern, between the spiral strip-wrapping and the ferrules on almost all of their grips.

Ferrules of that kind are mostly associated with much later swords than what they use them on. So while the element may have a historical antecedent, it doesn't seem to fit many of the swords they use it on.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
James J

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Mr. Arnow's comments and would add that all their blades have a ricasso. That is the main element that would prevent me from purchasing one of their swords. They do appear to be well constructed, from the pictures I have seen.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's great to see Kult of Athena now carrying the Lutel products, but having ordered personally from Lutel directly some years back I just cant see paying those prices at the Kult of Athena when money is as tight as it is these days. The example is Lutel's sword 12025 which I own the dagger of that is priced at $564.95 before shipping, through Lutel this sword is $407.95 that's a $157 difference, I dont mind paying a bit of mark-up for a have it now but it has to be with in my reason which I find affordable...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Sweet wrote:
It's great to see Kult of Athena now carrying the Lutel products, but having ordered personally from Lutel directly some years back I just cant see paying those prices at the Kult of Athena when money is as tight as it is these days. The example is Lutel's sword 12025 which I own the dagger of that is priced at $564.95 before shipping, through Lutel this sword is $407.95 that's a $157 difference, I dont mind paying a bit of mark-up for a have it now but it has to be with in my reason which I find affordable...

So how much is shipping from Europe costing these days ? That might be a factor to consider as it might be more than it was a few years ago. ?

If situated in the U.S.A. buying in country has it's advantages if the product had to be sent back for some reason: I live in Canada, so I really don't like sending stuff back and forth across a border and having to deal with Customs clearance multiple times for the same thing. I imagine that sending stuff back to Europe, if there was some flaw or one was unlucky and the sword ( Or whatever ) was damaged in transit or was just a " lemon " ! ( Can happen with even the best companies ).

And Kult of Athena has a very generous return policy ..... now any greater costs have to be balanced by convenience and in stock availability ! Well, a $157 difference might be a deal breaker but what is the difference in price after factoring in the from Europe shipping price ? I don't know, just asking. Wink Cool

Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I asked for a shipping quote for one of the two handers and was told 305.00 dollars to Mass. I for one am thrilled to see Lutel being sold at KoA. I sent a PM asking if they were planning on having a US distributor, and I guess I have my answer!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lutels are also sold in the USA by Art Elwell - www.arts-swords.com -

I noticed with Ryan's width measurements at KOA - not much distal taper on those Lutels - perhaps a bad sign for the more cutting oriented swords.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Ben Sweet wrote:

So how much is shipping from Europe costing these days ? That might be a factor to consider as it might be more than it was a few years ago. ?

If situated in the U.S.A. buying in country has it's advantages if the product had to be sent back for some reason: I live in Canada, so I really don't like sending stuff back and forth across a border and having to deal with Customs clearance multiple times for the same thing. I imagine that sending stuff back to Europe, if there was some flaw or one was unlucky and the sword ( Or whatever ) was damaged in transit or was just a " lemon " ! ( Can happen with even the best companies ).

And Kult of Athena has a very generous return policy ..... now any greater costs have to be balanced by convenience and in stock availability ! Well, a $157 difference might be a deal breaker but what is the difference in price after factoring in the from Europe shipping price ? I don't know, just asking. Wink Cool

I only compared the price of the actual swords between Lutel and KOA to include the price of sharpening , no shipping from either party was factored in because I have no clue what shipping fees are from either company today, dont remember what it was when I ordered from Lutel... also some might have to add a Tax?
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:
Depending on the exchange rate, it is cheaper to order directly.

You're right but what KoA is really offering is convenience of having things in stock and their reputation. The value of those factors will vary for each of us...but for some people I think it might matter a fair bit. Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James J wrote:
I agree with Mr. Arnow's comments and would add that all their blades have a ricasso. That is the main element that would prevent me from purchasing one of their swords. They do appear to be well constructed, from the pictures I have seen.

They are well constructed.

Solid.

Dependable and at the right price a great buy.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
James J wrote:

They are well constructed.

Solid.

Dependable and at the right price a great buy.

The ricassos bother me a bit with the earlier sword types that normally didn't have ricassos, but fine with Oakeshott Type 19 swords.

With the Katzbalger the ricasso look appropriate and with the big two handers that Lutel makes.

I also hope that Ryan will import some of the Lutel polearms, mounted or as just heads because I think the shipping from Europe for KoA would be less than for a mounted pole arm and the price on just the heads could be somewhat lower.

By the way, if people have questions or request about specific Lutels that Ryan hasn't shown as being in stock they should contact him to find out: We can speculate and discuss our wish lists but only Ryan can supply answers.

William P

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Wallace wrote:
i'm with William P, i've had my heart set on a two hander with parrying lugs and hilt rings for some time now. Lutel seems to offer the only production pieces that have something close to the Montante style that i've been researching.

i've always tended to think that lute does have good looking blade styles in production, but some of the grips do look a little common. but a two hander at the right price - i don't think that would be a factor for me.

other than lutel, i've been looking at the del tin italian two hander that KOA has in stock.

well i could get a very good zweihander from manning imperial, he sells 2 different versions, quality wise, it probably far surpasses Lutels, but his zweihanders like most of his stock are hugely expensive
lutel handicrafts most expensive 2 hander costs 666,25 euros which is 820 australian dollars lutels cheapest parring lug zweihander is only 600 australian dollars.
compare that with $1950 austalian dollars from manning imperial for he more basic ofthe two and the expensive one costing $3350.
although admittdly international shipping of a nearly 6ft zweihander will be VERY costly wheher its from KOA or directly from lutels shop.

by the way which lutel is supplying to KOA, lutel, or lutel handicrafts ?
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of those, so I had to look them up. They are beautiful, and weigh in a bit over 7 lbs. they are pricier, but they look to be worth it, at least from the stats, and photos. Not to crazy about the abrupt transition from ricasso to blade, but that's just me, the originals they're based on could be the same.

I still want someone to come out with a Montante. Zwiehanders get all glory.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Lutel available at Kult of Athena.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: