Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knife sheath problem Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Knife sheath problem         Reply with quote

Hello fellow forumites,

I started to make a sheath for my 13th century eating knife. I did use a thin vegetable leather, dyed it red, let it completly dry for several days. Today I let the leather soak for a short time and dry a bit, before I started to work with it. Then I applied some lilys and lines and patterns using a stamp, overstitcher and lining pencil. Then I stitched it while wet onto the blade, but, well, the leather didn't hold the pattern that well. It didn't stay crisp. What am I doing wrong? I think the leather could be too thin (it's only about 1,5-2 mm thick) or should I have let it dry some more before stitching? I will finish the sheath, but somehow I am not yet satisfied with the outcome. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Thomas

Attachment: 203.41 KB
IMG_3007.jpg

Attachment: 188.77 KB
IMG_3009.jpg

Attachment: 227.59 KB
IMG_3010.jpg

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Knife sheath problem         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:
Hello fellow forumites,

I started to make a sheath for my 13th century eating knife. I did use a thin vegetable leather, dyed it red, let it completly dry for several days. Today I let the leather soak for a short time and dry a bit, before I started to work with it. Then I applied some lilys and lines and patterns using a stamp, overstitcher and lining pencil. Then I stitched it while wet onto the blade, but, well, the leather didn't hold the pattern that well. It didn't stay crisp. What am I doing wrong? I think the leather could be too thin (it's only about 1,5-2 mm thick) or should I have let it dry some more before stitching? I will finish the sheath, but somehow I am not yet satisfied with the outcome. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Tooling leather is best done when the leather is slightly damp. I use a spray bottle in only the areas I'm going to tool, and I only spray once or twice to 'dampen' the leather. Once I finish a section I blow dry it just enough and it will then stay crisp.

Molding leather should first be done before tooling. In your case, I would have molded it to the shape you wanted first, and then let it dry. Then take it off, unfold it, lightly dampen and tool.

B

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Thomas R.

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Brian,
thank you very much for your advice. Next time I'll try it your way. I think the leather was too wet and some stretching while stitching it onto the knife made the pattern become blurry. :o( But I think, I nevertheless got some exp and skill points today out of it :o)

Thomas

Thomas R.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, I nevertheless finished the project today. The problem with the sloppy pattern still exists, but I think the sheath has now a somehow very medieval look and feel, as if it has been used already a lot. And that's okay for my kit.

I added two photos of it for you, so have a look...

Thomas

Attachment: 138.14 KB
Knife and sheath.jpg

Attachment: 134.3 KB
backknife.jpg

Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. It's really not too bad. Perhaps do a little light buffing, with some extra buff on the edges to give it a little age.

Thanks for sharing!

B

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knife sheath problem
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic