Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vince Evans "Distressed Dirk" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Vince Evans "Distressed Dirk"         Reply with quote

I have a question. Does any member of the forum have photos of a Scottish Dirk by Vince Evans which was distressed during manufacture? I met Vince and Grace at the Atlanta Blade Show this past weekend and ordered a dirk from him. He said he sometimes distresses his dirks, at customer request, and I asked him to do that for me. However, I have since gotten cold feet - not about the dirk because I really want one!!! - but now I cannot decide about the distressing. I am sure to distress it some myself once it is in my hands but wonder what it looks like when Vince does it. He gave me a brief description but a picture is worth a thousand words, of course. While at the show I bought a copy of a book published by Blade magazine which has an article by Vince and Grace about making a dirk. I already have their CD ROM and this is a very helpful companion piece. Vince and Grace are really nice people for those who have not met them, and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

I also saw the folks at Hanwei who told me they have received a container of items which will be available soon. I also got to see a photo of the new factory, which is very nice.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Photos of a distressed dirk are available on Vince's website.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Nathan. I should have realized it would be on his web site. Actually, I had seen those photos before and just forgot where and when.

I realize that what I do is strictly a personal decision but, since you own some of Vince's work, I value your opinion. Would you prefer a distressed dirk or one which is obviously new? I am really torn about this. I like the distressed look but just don't know if I will be completely satisfied with it.

Thanks very much for any insight you may want to offer.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't care for the distressed look as much as the "in the new" appearance. You could always distress it yourself should you want.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second that. My weapons get that "used" look quickly enough, and if you antique/distress it yourself then you have complete control over the finished product and no-one to blame but yourself if you don't like it Wink. On the other hand, it seems that Vince does as good a job distressing as he does at everything else and does not over-do it. What sort of distressing do you desire and to what degree? Do you mostly just want that "polished from use" look on an otherwise undamaged weapon or do you want the "battle-damaged" look with nicks in the blade or guard/hilt or ground-out nicks and reground point. Or maybe the "left unattended in a wattle-and-daub hut for a few years" look?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't mind " distressing " medium priced production swords in some cases to make them look campaign worn but well cared for as they would have looked during their using life in period, but I would rather have the new pristine look from a top maker.

Also, if campaign worn I think it would lose too much of it's resale value when the distressing was not done by the maker and it's a DIY job of distressing.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I don't mind " distressing " medium priced production swords in some cases to make them look campaign worn but well cared for as they would have looked during their using life in period, but I would rather have the new pristine look from a top maker.

Also, if campaign worn I think it would lose too much of it's resale value when the distressing was not done by the maker and it's a DIY job of distressing.

I'm of the same opinion. My own handling of the piece will give it a 'lived-in' flavor. Plus, I like watching the steel, leather, etc. cure over time in the environment I place it in. And indeed, I appreciate my collection first for the beauty and utility that each item was made for. However, I also think of them as assets to be treated as such.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vince Evans "Distressed Dirk"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic