Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > the cold steel kopis/ falcata machete Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William P

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: the cold steel kopis/ falcata machete         Reply with quote

http://www.coldsteel.com/kopismachete.html

all i can say is, woohoo, and SCORE! a kopis machete that actually looks like a kopis/ falcata,

i think ill be buying one the moment it becomes avalable (both in terms of me having the money for it, and in terms of me being able to order one.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty good chopper.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: the cold steel kopis/ falcata machete         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
all i can say is, woohoo, and SCORE! a kopis machete that actually looks like a kopis/ falcata,

Except that it's only 2.8 mm thick....

Whereas an original would (from the top of my head) be in the 6-7mm range at least...
William P

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well yeah but then again it is a machete, not a true kopis.. (the same observation was made about cold steels kukri machetes as well. being thinner than the real kukris

its also about 48 bucks US$ so.. on balance.. not to bad a deal, take the blade remove the handle and anti rust coating, then add a wooden handle and your good to go...

but like the gladius and katana machete the whole point of these is the fact cold steel knows theres a whole heap of people out there who want something sharp and sword like that people will use to hack at random things in their backyard, thnese things are meant to be cheap and not too valuable so that when they break from inevitable abuse, uits not much of a loss,'

speaking of which
http://www.coldsteel.com/mebu.html a polyurethane buckler... uactually adding thise to the high density plastic training swords cold steel has it could make a great combination.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, let me get this straight: You're only hoping for something to whack things in the backyard that basically just casts a shadow similar to that of a falcata, right? Because there is no point in using the word "historical" in any discussion of this piece, except in close conjunction with the word "NOT". It won't look like a decent reproduction, nor will it handle nor cut like one. Just sayin'...

This is the same discussion we had with the "gladius machete"--IF you replace the blade, the hilt, and the scabbard, you MIGHT end up with something reasonably historically accurate! But as long as no one is in any danger of thinking your machete is supposed to be a historical reproduction of some kind, hey, it's your money.

Matthew
William P

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
So, let me get this straight: You're only hoping for something to whack things in the backyard that basically just casts a shadow similar to that of a falcata, right? Because there is no point in using the word "historical" in any discussion of this piece, except in close conjunction with the word "NOT". It won't look like a decent reproduction, nor will it handle nor cut like one. Just sayin'...

This is the same discussion we had with the "gladius machete"--IF you replace the blade, the hilt, and the scabbard, you MIGHT end up with something reasonably historically accurate! But as long as no one is in any danger of thinking your machete is supposed to be a historical reproduction of some kind, hey, it's your money.

Matthew

in fact is exactly the same as the gladius machete situation.
and it, like their kukri machetes, katana and the upcoming cutlass machete. are designd for the same purpose

i mean heres the description of the katana machete on cold steels website
Quote:
Have you ever longed to pick up your expensive, high performance Samurai sword and run amok through the woods stabbing, cutting, chopping and hacking every inanimate object in sight without the fear of losing all your hard earned money by damaging it?

it pretty much says it all regarding the selling point of these things..

trust me, i wouldnt buy this thinking it was actually historical, if you removed the black coating on the blad and spraypainted the handle brown it could pass if not looked at too closely, it has the silhouette of a falcata and those buying it are doing so for the association tha what theyre holding makes them feel like its a real sword

if i was actually looking for a more historical kopis i wouldnt be thinking of getting this

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=IOT0...an+Falcata this is the only reasonably half decent kopis lookalike that approaches a similar price point to the machete
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=HK56...reek+Kopis although this one isnt too bad if you want a makhaira instead of a kopis.
(most australian dealers sell the deepeka kopis at around 170 aussie dollars )
id maybe get these 2 instead of the cold stel machete, specially since cold steel doesnt directly ship to australia. dunno why

if cold steel wanted to make a proper falcata they would and it would be alot better than this machete at least

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BplMMA98p5A&feature=plcp i should also point out that THIS is what their kopis machete used to look like, i.e the one on top in the video... yes i know the kopis didnt have a clip point dunno why cold steel would call such a thing a kopis machete..
in comparison this new one is flawless

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > the cold steel kopis/ falcata machete
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic