Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Recent Projects in Progress... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Recent Projects in Progress...         Reply with quote

I've been working on a variety of things lately. One of which is a commissioned sword that originated with inspiration from some pictures that were shown in this forum of munition grade proto-mortuary type swords... http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...katzbalger

This was commissioned and has changed a lot over the last month or so in terms of design. We are both trying to balance historical correctness with the desired functionality of the sword. The customer wanted more of a cutter.. so the design of the blade profile has sort of morphed into what you see in the following pictures. It may be that we will decided to straighten the tip and lose the swept nature of it to lend more to the 'backsword' profile. But.. as is.. it's elegant to my eyes and will indeed cut. The hilt is low carbon iron plate cut into the clam guard and knuckle bow. The one pictured is my second attempt. In the first I tried to forge weld the two together as the original hilts were. I succeeded in this.. but the deformation of the hilt proved to be too problematic. So they are now wire welded and riveted. I will continue to work on figuring out a good method for forge welding as the benefit of the flattened surface where the grip meets the hilt is obvious.

The idea of the sword.. as typical of my style.. was 'munition grade' and used. A good working sword.

The following pictures show a mock-up of the assembly.. still a lot of work on the hilt and grip.

I also just completed this Viking war axe from 2 plates of low carbon iron and high carbon bit. The two pieces of iron are welded to the bit and to themselves to form the eye. The haft is from an antique double bit logger's axe (3 feet long) that is currently getting some runes carved into it.

And also... a socket spear and rondel. The spear is low carbon iron that was forged into the blade and then carburized in a historical fashion. I placed the spear into a welded canister with fine charcoal, ground bone and horn and leather to seal. This was soaked for 2 hours and now skates a file.

Here is the canister set up:

The rondel will be a heavy duty armor piercing blade.. triangular in cross section and hollow ground. The lathed grip will have twisted wire in the grooves. And fittings will be wrought iron.

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lookin good there Scott. I am fascinated by, and don't know much about, transforming iron into steel/blister steel/shear steel in the home-workshop environment. Looking forward to seeing you at Rendezvous this August.
"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a sexy looking back-sword. Personally, I really like its current forged look. Does the basket get the file/chisel work of the original? .

mackenzie
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

I can help you out a bit with the shear steel Ben.... but I'm not the expert. You should try to take Ric Furrer's Shear Madness course... not too far from you!

Mackenzie.. Thank you. Do you mean the original as in the thread I referenced? Or leave it with the forge texture as-is? My plan is to leave a forge scale finish.. wire brushed. And then clean up the edges.

I want to do this again with actual wrought iron as the original probably were.. then I will polish it up and allow the wrought texture to show.

Kevin Rolly

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott....

I think everything you put your hand to is masterful
These are all beauties...

-Kevissimo
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know Scott I've been watching your threads and I have to say its been a treat to watch the development of your skill.

Clearly you're still expanding your horizons and there are things one can always improve upon (in the never-ending pursuit of perfection....which certainly would not be historical anyway) but what I find most compelling and interesting is that you certainly have a style and watching it develop and you posting your take on things has been truly a treat. Your work is not generic in the least and when I see your work I can say "this is Scott Roush's". I don't think everyone can say that....even people who create pieces with cleaner lines or have more experience in balance and distal taper.

Keep up the good work. You are clearly talented and deserving of every bit of praise you get. I find your work unique and....frankly awesome. Watching this makes me want to commission something....which is perhaps the highest compliment I can possibly give.
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Kevin...

Thank you very much Bryan.... I'm working very hard in this pursuit and my style is one thing... but the pursuit for 'perfection' in geometry, balance and performance are the things that are the most challenging and thereby also the elements that get my blood boiling. That... and increasing my expertise in making full size blades with 'traditional' materials. Again.. I very appreciate your comments.
'

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Recent Projects in Progress...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic