Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pining for the scabbards (pinetree, yes or no?) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Pining for the scabbards (pinetree, yes or no?)         Reply with quote

PINING FOR THE SCABBARDS?! It's stone dead!

But on a more serious note. Pine-tree for scabbard-cores? Yes or no?

I know Beach and Ash are the ultimate sort of tree for keeping your scabbard well. However, my local lumberyard do not have those.

However, what they do have, is Pine, and LOTS of it, in fact, it's the only thing they've got.
Not only do they only supply pine, but they'll saw it to you in whatever way, shape or form you'd like.

I am looking to make my scabbard in the manner of two thinn, thinn slates of wood just held together by linnen and wrapped in leather (or, in my case, held together by gauze in order to experiment some). And the lumberyard can get me wood as thinn as half a milimeter for this (although I might go with the 1mm wood more like).

As such, I ask, pine for the scabbard? Yes or no?

I've got this sinking feeling that pine will just have way too much sap, and although I do like amber, I do not want my sword coated in orange stickyness. Perhaps if I dress the inside of the scabbard in leather or cloth? What if I cheat and dress the inside in a thinn layer of plastic? (such as a black garbage bag, it's durable at least).

Any thoughts on using pine for the scabbard core?
Ben Anbeek
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always use poplar for my cores, you also can use willow (both are historic correct).
Medieval Goods
http://www.theupperclass.nl
www.facebook.com/TheUpperClass.nl
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again, local lumberyard only deals in pine.

I will check one farther away when I've got the time, however, I am not sure I could get the shape and size I'd want at another place.
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made a couple of scabbards of pine. I used well-dried furniture grade pine (thus no sap or one wouldn't be able to lacquer/paint it). I also used linseed oil on the inside to seal the wood. No problems so far. Overall an OK wood as long as you are willing to clean and maybe repolish your sword if something goes wrong.

Actually you are probably looking for the scabbard material in the wrong place. lumber yards usually supply general construction wood (which happens to be pine for our region) which is often very moist. You should look for the wood in large construction material stores instead. They might have alder or aspen because these timbers are often used in interior finishing, saunas, etc. And of course you will find pine of very different quality there as well :-)
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Done my first scabbard out of pine wood slats, no problem whatsoever (I even keep my Crecy full time in it, no corrosion at all).

Poplar is much more pleasant to work with though, and historically appropriate.

I'd look around some more to find some.

J
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it's more of an DIY store with a lumber section. But I'll have a look in the larger one when I can.

Good to hear the pine isn't completely horrendous though, and I'm actually tempted to simply line the scabbard in plastic or cloth to prevent sap IF something goes wrong.

I'm just a bit worried a plastic inside would keep any and all moist that somehow made its way there rather than pass it out through the wood.

Also, when it comes to historical authenticity, Poplar is not really indigenous to Sweden, where Pine is plenty. We do have Ash and Beach though, which were used historically as well, and I'll be on the lookout for those.
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lining the scabbard is a good idea. I wouldn't use plastic though, my material of choice would be either sheep skin with the wool cut very short (is it a historical way to line scabbards AFAIK) or woolen cloth. Such lining will hold oil so your sword will be "automagically" oiled when you put it in the scabbard. Just make sure you use oil that does not dry out. Most if not all vegetable oils do.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pining for the scabbards (pinetree, yes or no?)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic