Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Sword of Malta... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Antonio Ganarini

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Windlass Sword of Malta...         Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm essentially a newbie that become keen on medieval weapons and culture.
Much of what I know around the argument comes from your posts and articles, so I thank all of you for this wonderful resource!
I am trying to start a little collection: looking for a nearly historical sword not too costly, I found the windlass Sword of Malta.
Here's the link to Kult of Athena:
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=501226
Knowing that the siege of Malta took place in 1565, I was seeking to know how much actually historical is this sword.
May somobody help me?

(PS: I don't know if this is the right place for this post... in case let me know!)
Thanks!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I heard it's not a bad swords from some guys who bought it, but has not much to do with the period of battle for Malta. It is closer to swords of late 14th or first half of 15th century.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Antonio, and Welcome to the forum!

This looks nothing like a late XVI century sword to me...
The blade profile is quiet typical of a type XVIII (see below for more information), widely use in Europe until the end of the XV century:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spotxviii.html

The hilt furniture (curved cross and disc pommel) suggest at an even earlier period (knightly swords until the XIV century).

The scabbard style also suggest and earlier period. On that note, Windlass really upgraded their offer. That's a rather attractive piece here (mounts and belt system). Too bad that the material (leather and buckle) look cheap as hell.

J

Antonio Ganarini

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Julien! Hi Luka!
Thank you very much! I'll immediatly look for it in the feature section!
So we can say that, while the quality is not bad, the hypothetical dating is wrong!...
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basically yes. Do you want a sword from a certain period or are the looks what attracts you to swords?
Antonio Ganarini

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Substantially the looks! I'm particularly attracted by early medieval - crusades sword shapes, and a blade with "straight-tapering, acutely-pointed profile and stiff flattened-diamond cross-section" combined with such a hilt is very intriguing for me.
It doesn't mind if that sword is not a XVI century type, but I'd like to know if that combination blade-hilt is historically probable or if it is a wrong association of sword elements coming from two completely different centuries...

Ciao a tutti!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is similar enough to swords like these to be historically plausible.

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxviii14.jpg

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxviii10.jpg

You might also like these swords, quite good ones...

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...eval+Sword

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...pean+Sword

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ming+Sword

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+%2D+Sharp
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also find this to be a very attractive sword, except its out of my current area of interest. I havn't handled it, but after owning dozens of Windlass products and handling many more, I'm dubious about the blade being stiff. Last I checked they were still using a flexible temper and thin 3/16 stock steel for such swords, which leads to a fair amount of flex for a blade of this length. Otherwise it ought to be OK, but I would check about exchanges before buying because many windlasses have problems with pieces fitting together properly at the hilt. But if you can get a good one, its often well worth the money compared to the fair competition.
Antonio Ganarini

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've just read the Joseph Fults's review on Windlass type XIV sword: it seems very pleasant to me too, and, according to the review, free from the problem of 'whippyness' that could affect the sword of malta (after your advices, I don't think I'll buy it without trying to handle it before).
I think I'll redirect my choice on the type XIV!

Ciao a tutti!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a short amateur review on Sword of Malta.
http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10050
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antonio Ganarini wrote:
I've just read the Joseph Fults's review on Windlass type XIV sword: it seems very pleasant to me too, and, according to the review, free from the problem of 'whippyness' that could affect the sword of malta (after your advices, I don't think I'll buy it without trying to handle it before).
I think I'll redirect my choice on the type XIV!

That XIV is the best Windlass offering I've ever seen or handled. In my opinion its a cut above what they normally produce and its a sword that can be upgraded because enough of the fundamentals are there.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Antonio Ganarini

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok!
Choice made!
I'll take the type XIV sword!

@Luka: I've read that review, but, if I've understood well, that was the first authentic sword for the author...
...honestly I trust more of your experience than of his enthusiasm. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think he is experienced enough to assess correctly the handling of the sword, taking into account the offer of the market... just like me!

Thanks a lot!

Ciao a tutti!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antonio Ganarini wrote:
Ok!
Choice made!

@Luka: I've read that review, but, if I've understood well, that was the first authentic sword for the author...
...honestly I trust more of your experience than of his enthusiasm. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think he is experienced enough to assess correctly the handling of the sword, taking into account the offer of the market... just like me!

Thanks a lot!

True, Malta might be a good sword but XIV is a safer bet.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good choice. I used to have their XIV and would say that, other than certain subtle refinements, its on par with some swords that cost 3x as much.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antonio Ganarini wrote:
Ok!
Choice made!

Good choice indeed. However it seems you are based in Italy and on our side of the Atlantic Windlass end up being usually of poor value for money when you add 50$ of shipping and £40 (I live in the UK so that's what I usually pay) of VAT (all in all add $100 to the bill).

Better than windlass in quality, Hanwei Tinker swords are usually well distributed in europe (also check the Hanwei tinker line, they have a single handed one handler that's very good).

check the knight shop here, they often have the best prices around:

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/tinker...a90d5c245e

For a little more, you could also support your national industry Happy with a deltin!

http://www.deltin.it/home.htm
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Antonio Ganarini wrote:
Ok!
Choice made!

Good choice indeed. However it seems you are based in Italy and on our side of the Atlantic Windlass end up being usually of poor value for money when you add 50$ of shipping and £40 (I live in the UK so that's what I usually pay) of VAT (all in all add $100 to the bill).

Better than windlass in quality, Hanwei Tinker swords are usually well distributed in europe (also check the Hanwei tinker line, they have a single handed one handler that's very good).

check the knight shop here, they often have the best prices around:

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/tinker...a90d5c245e

For a little more, you could also support your national industry Happy with a deltin!

http://www.deltin.it/home.htm

He would need a licence to buy a sharp sword, likely to import it from England would be difficult or impossible, according to the police station under whose jurisdiction he is. I would save more money for a deltin. Not sharp but almost the right section.
Antonio Ganarini

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I thought also to buy a hanwei, but the fact that their blades are sharp makes it almost impossible.
For the cost of importing a sword from abroad, I made some calculations:
for some obscure reasons, buying a sword, for example the windlass 15th Century Longsword, from kult of athena (including the shipping cost) costs me 244$, while buying the same sword here in Italy costs me the equivalent of 394$.
The Del Tin swords seemed me to be far out of my budget... perhaps becouse I haven't had the time to better look after them.

Ciao a tutti!
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antonio Ganarini wrote:
Actually, I thought also to buy a hanwei, but the fact that their blades are sharp makes it almost impossible.
For the cost of importing a sword from abroad, I made some calculations:
for some obscure reasons, buying a sword, for example the windlass 15th Century Longsword, from kult of athena (including the shipping cost) costs me 244$, while buying the same sword here in Italy costs me the equivalent of 394$.
The Del Tin swords seemed me to be far out of my budget... perhaps becouse I haven't had the time to better look after them.

Keep in mind to ask your local Questura (Police station) for a license if you want to buy a sharp sword.

And good luck with it.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah yes, I forgot about that.

I find it awkward that Italian officials are so uncompromising about this specific issue and so casual about others...Happy

It is a shame as it seems this legislation prevented Deltin to have a shot at maintaining their high end maker status...all their blades requiring some degree of reshaping to be convincing sharp swords. Those being priced quiet high to start with, they end up being less value for money than other makers. International shipping out of Italy is also a complete rip off. All this deterred me from buying a Deltin though I have been tempted a dozen times (Not to mention than buying from KOA plus shipping and VAT often ends up being cheaper than buying direct from Fluvio). I'm not sure if Deltin realizes how many potential clients they loose due to their pricing policy, or not finding a way around the sharp/blunt issue.

Again, don't forget You'll have to add 50 euro or so for VAT if ordering from the USA.

Good luck with your purchase.

J
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Ah yes, I forgot about that.

I find it awkward that Italian officials are so uncompromising about this specific issue and so casual about others...Happy

It is a shame as it seems this legislation prevented Deltin to have a shot at maintaining their high end maker status...all their blades requiring some degree of reshaping to be convincing sharp swords. Those being priced quiet high to start with, they end up being less value for money than other makers. International shipping out of Italy is also a complete rip off. All this deterred me from buying a Deltin though I have been tempted a dozen times (Not to mention than buying from KOA plus shipping and VAT often ends up being cheaper than buying direct from Fluvio). I'm not sure if Deltin realizes how many potential clients they loose due to their pricing policy, or not finding a way around the sharp/blunt issue.

Again, don't forget You'll have to add 50 euro or so for VAT if ordering from the USA.

Good luck with your purchase.

J

You are right about getting aroud the blunt/sharp issue, he could attain a greater status in the sword community if he were able to get a weapon building license.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Sword of Malta...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic