Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Thegn or Albion Burgundian Opinions Please? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
John Malick

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Albion Thegn or Albion Burgundian Opinions Please?         Reply with quote

Ok I have the money too get another Albion but am having a hard time picking between the Thegn and the Burgundian. I am wanting a sword that is going too be the better cutter for rolled mats, pumpkins, and water bottles, and the occasional large beef roast. So opinions of the two would be great.
Josh S

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion Thegn or Albion Burgundian Opinions Please?         Reply with quote

John Malick wrote:
Ok I have the money too get another Albion but am having a hard time picking between the Thegn and the Burgundian. I am wanting a sword that is going too be the better cutter for rolled mats, pumpkins, and water bottles, and the occasional large beef roast. So opinions of the two would be great.

Based on comparing the two swords' statistics on the Albion page, and comparing the reviews on this site's "Reviews" page for the Kingmaker(which shares the Burgundian's blade) and the Theqn, I would assume the Burgundian to be somewhat more well-suited to harder, heavier targets. The Theqn's balance point is slightly further out, but the Burgundian has more overall weight, plus a longer blade. That being said, I personally prefer both the Kingmaker and the Regent over the Burgundian, and as a result would go for the Theqn over it as well, due to its uniqueness in both looks and performance.
John Malick

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok how would the Caithness compare to the bugundian or kingmaker in cutting ability?
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John in my limited experience of owning and cutting light targets with a Regent and Knight, the Knight which sharrs the Caitheness blade is much better.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
John Malick

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you both for the responses and the information
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also should add it is substantially better not just a marginal slight difference
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Josh S

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
John in my limited experience of owning and cutting light targets with a Regent and Knight, the Knight which sharrs the Caitheness blade is much better.

I expected as much. The Knight/Caithness blade (as well as that of the Theqn) seems to be very flat, making it pass through softer material that much more easily. The Regent/Earl and Burgundian/Kingmaker blades, in contrast, are hollow-ground with a strong central rib and, I imagine, much stiffer as well. Have you tried the blades out on heavier targets(such as rolled mats, as referred to in John's original post)? If so, have you noticed a similar difference in comparative ability, only reversed to be in the hollow-ground blade's favor?
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Malick wrote:
Ok how would the Caithness compare to the bugundian or kingmaker in cutting ability?

No 1st hand "cutting" experience myself, but you can watch an expert in action here http://www.albion-swords.com/cutting-knight.htm using an Albion Knight which has the same blade as the Caithness.

Cheers

Paul

I don’t want to take you off track and again no 1st hand experience myself but I’ve often been told that ATrim’s are excellent cutting swords, not as historical as an Albion, but it depends on what you’re after. http://triedandtruearmory.com/ATrim-catalog.html have a look at the XII.4

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh no intentional heavy targets with either although the Knight sliced off a thin wedge of the wooden stool I was uding as a cutting stand when I was trying to get too many cuts out of a single bottle. No damage to the blade either. Not a recommended test medium of course.
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Between the two go for the Thegn if you want a good cutter. You will not be as satisfied with the Burgundian.

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For your stated purpose the Thegn is the better choice.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Albion Thegn or Albion Burgundian Opinions Please?         Reply with quote

Josh S wrote:

Based on comparing the two swords' statistics on the Albion page, and comparing the reviews on this site's "Reviews" page for the Kingmaker(which shares the Burgundian's blade) and the Theqn,

Can someone please correct me here? I remember hearing somewhere that the Burgundian ISN'T hollow ground, but the Kingmaker is... making them different blades. I'm looking at the pictures of the Burgundian on Albion's site and I can't quite tell from the pictures.

I did a quick google search for a review on the burgundian but couldn't find one.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
John Malick

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do like the look of the Thegn probably my favorite. Supposedly it can be used with a hammer grip comfortably which I also like. I am curious is the blade on the thegn whippy like I have read some people say about the knight blade?
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Malick wrote:
I do like the look of the Thegn probably my favorite. Supposedly it can be used with a hammer grip comfortably which I also like. I am curious is the blade on the thegn whippy like I have read some people say about the knight blade?

I certainly wouldn't describe the knight as whippy.
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
John Malick wrote:

I certainly wouldn't describe the knight as whippy.
I will second that!
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Third opinion of the Knight not being whippy. Not at all.
John Malick

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok I believe the three of you that say it is not whippy. Man now I strongly considering the Knight. Hard choice knight or thegn.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, the knight is a nice one!

I've never handled the Thegn though- likely a bit slower in the recovery than the knight, but I'm not saying that as a critique, but simply as an observation of the type of sword. The knight has a very neutral feeling. It "floats" in the hand.

If I didn't own a Solingen I would certainly buy a Knight.

The Thegn is a sword with a bit more authority I would think.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To add a bit more on the plate...how about the chevalier? I recently got to handle this sword and cut with it and I was amazed at how much I liked this sword. Yeah I didn't like the grip as the cross hatching is a bit uncomfortable with bare hands...and the grip is kinda small to do a hammer grip, but it does feel very nice with a handshake grip. But how the sword moves is amazing. I should mention that a few people who were not very comfortable with one handed swords had some issues with this sword, but for me, it cut mats like it was butter. Also the slight hollow ground blade is just drop dead gorgeous.

Another good choice is the XIVs. The short broad blades are pretty good cutters and they are my favorite swords in hand...so far anyways.

Yeah not helping the whole narrowing things down am I Razz ?

That said, the knight is a pretty classic sword and as such, I doubt you will go very wrong with it. If you do not know your sword preference in handling yet, it is a good start.
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I`ve never had a Thegn but I`ve had several other Albion vikings.You realize that the grip on the thegn is very short,
making,necesisary the,"handshake grip".Something I was never comfortable with.Also I`ve never owned a Burgundian.
Bur I`ve owned a Caithness,that you allso asked about.I didnt cut with it,but the way if felt in my hand made me think it would be a supurb cutter.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Thegn or Albion Burgundian Opinions Please?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: