Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > custom warhammer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rick M.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: custom warhammer         Reply with quote

About a year ago, someome posted a thread about a custom warhammer they got. It had an animal or man's face with the hammer protruding from it's mouth. I'm trying to find out who made it, but I haven't had any luck with the search.

Thanks for your help,
Rick
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe you may be referring to that one from arms and armor.

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole232.html

Cheers,

J
Rick M.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, that's not the one I'm looking for. The one I mean had a man's (or animal) face and the hammer came out of it's mouth. There was a beak on the other side. I think it may have been made by A & A, but I can't find it on their site.

Rick
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't remember a man's face with a hammer extending from it, but there's an authentic hammer that's a stylized dragon with a hammer emanating from it. A&A did a version of it for many years.

Venetian, circa 1380

Attachment: 83.25 KB
hammer.jpg
A&A's version, no longer in their catalog

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Rick M.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's the one I was looking for. Thanks Nathan and Julien. Maybe the thread I remember was about the original.

Rick
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am looking for any further information about this piece, specifically the size of the head or a full length shot with a dimension.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Charles G. wrote:

Actually, the body is some sort of brass/copper-alloy, while the hammer face and back spike are some sort of iron/steel. Why you never see colour shots of this hammer is a total mystery to me.

Also, it is *big* - the A&A repro was about 2/3 the size of the original. The original also had a fairly short haft.

References:
Rossi, Francesco. Mediaeval Arms and Armour. Magna Books. pp. 22-23. Leicester. 1990.
Baron de Cosson, C.A. A War Hammer in the Museo Correr, Venice. The Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs Vol. 42, no. 241. pp. 188-190. January-June, 1923.

The second referenced work is available here, for $18. I don't know if it gives measurements, as I can't afford it. Hope I could help at least a bit.

edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot, it is possible to access it for free. It says: "Length of hammer head 21cm, length of shank without haft 23.2cm." There's a full-length photo there as well, but I don't think it's OK to printscreen and post it.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Adam,

What a monster size as well as its appearence

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Dragon Hammer         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Yes its a big piece. My guess is it was a pole hammer of a sort as opposed to a War Hammer. When we first did our reproduction, way back, we had only a b/w pic no dimensions. We thought it was a hammer due to the length of haft but later on found out we had underestimated the size. I suppose if the head was hollow it might be a hammer but the mass of material at that size if solid would make it difficult to handle one handed as a hammer.

The bi-metal construction is cool and one aspect not done much today as the manufacture gets a bit more time consuming and most folks are less interested in bronze pieces in some cases. Its the old conundrum of us assuming we know better than they did in such matters Happy Thing is most times I have been guilty of that the old items have taught me the error of my ways Happy

Best
Craig
William P

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

regardless, it looks awsome
im wondering how one might integrate the top spike into the design of the dragon, maybe engrave it to look like the wings?
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cute dragon. I'd love to have one of these, full size or not.
"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Lewis Ballard

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon Hammer         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hi Guys

Yes its a big piece. My guess is it was a pole hammer of a sort as opposed to a War Hammer. When we first did our reproduction, way back, we had only a b/w pic no dimensions. We thought it was a hammer due to the length of haft but later on found out we had underestimated the size. I suppose if the head was hollow it might be a hammer but the mass of material at that size if solid would make it difficult to handle one handed as a hammer.

The bi-metal construction is cool and one aspect not done much today as the manufacture gets a bit more time consuming and most folks are less interested in bronze pieces in some cases. Its the old conundrum of us assuming we know better than they did in such matters Happy Thing is most times I have been guilty of that the old items have taught me the error of my ways Happy

Best
Craig

Craig:

This is a quote I have used on several occasions in the past: "The older I get, the smarter they were."

In my particular instance this was in regard to kilts. I knew---I just KNEW---that there had to be a better material to make kilts from than worsted wool. This modern age, and the wonders it contains, and all that. I tried cotton, including heavy cotton. I tried poly-cotton, I tried denim, I tried some actually quite decent poly-viscose. Finally I broke down and bought some sixteen ounce worsted wool Robertson tartan from Scotland, and sat down with needle and thread.

It sewed easily, it holds together strongly, it drapes well, it wears like iron.

I thought I knew better, but I learned better.

The older I get, the smarter they were.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Put me on the waiting list for one of these bad boys.
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dragon Hammer         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:

I suppose if the head was hollow it might be a hammer but the mass of material at that size if solid would make it difficult to handle one handed as a hammer.

With d=(maximum thickness of hammer~6.3cm) and l=(length of hammer=21cm), a solid brass cylinder would be 5.862 kg. I doubt that that head would have more than the one-third of volume of said cylinder, which gives 1.954 kg (4.30 pounds) for maximum possible weight of head (though it would likely end up lighter). IIRC M2 maces could reach up to 7 pounds, which means that there are 2.7 pounds "remaining" to make a haft and the socket and still stay in realistic, albeit heavy mace territory. All in all, I doubt that it'd be heavier than 5, maybe 6 pounds if properly copied, and I'd consider that manageable.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > custom warhammer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic