Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Experience with this replica? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Experience with this replica?         Reply with quote

Does anybody here have any experience with this replica? It's an MRL/Windlass piece allegedly based on the Dublin Civic Sword of ca. 1400. Specs of replica are as follow: Overall- 42" * Blade- 34 1/2" long, 1 3/4" wide * Wt.- 2lbs. 10 oz.
I welcome your thoughts and observations. A tiny image of the DCS is included below the replica.

Attachment: 70.87 KB
war.jpg

Attachment: 8.2 KB
civic sword.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 10 Oct, 2003 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, my fencing instructor got one for his wife (also an instructor at my club) just the other day. She brought it in and most of us spent about a minute swinging it about a bit. It handles very nicely, and the fittings (at least on the one she got) were nice and tight--absolutely no rattles. PoB as I recall was about 5" from the guard (ballpark guess), and CoP about 2/3 the way out (take this guesstimate with a couple grains of salt, as I didn't actually take a measurement, I just eyeballed it). The pommel on the piece I handled was well-executed, with no scuffs that I could see. I good piece, especially because I think it is on sale.
Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I ask because this is on sale for around $129 ($110 after additional 15% discount). These sales are tempting, but there always seems to be a mix of good, bad and indifferent items. It's difficult to tell which is which without this kind of feedback. Thanks for the additional info! Now, if can track down some specs for the original....

By the way, the new MRL catalog offers lots of bargains, including their estoc for $150-and it supposedly is based on an original formerly owned by H. Reinhardt.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Kevin S. McCarley

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you don't mind my expanding upon the original topic a bit, I'll comment on the MRL estoc since you mentioned it.

I too was (and still am) tempted by the current MRL sale. I've been wanting to add an estoc (aka tuck, tok, etc.) to my collection for a long time and they seem very few and far between in the replica market. I have also had mixed experiences with MRL, mostly good, a very few bad, and a few indifferent. But their sale price convinced me to take a chance on the tuck.

Overall I'm pretty pleased. The handle/grip is quite nice, tight with no flaws and I like the proportions. I was a bit surprized by the blade tho. It is nice and stiff at the point and along the foible but isn't nearly as thick/stiff as I expected it to be at the hilt. No doubt it's a faithful replica of the original sword but it wasn't what I expected from a typical tuck.

Anyway, hope that helps in case you are considering the MRL tuck. A follow on question, anyone know of a good source for replica tucks or tuck blades?? Also, anyone have experience with the MRL "Fighting Two-Hand Sword" also on sale?? (sorry if I'm making this topic too broad)

Thanks.

Kevin
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Kevin--A fellow Alabamian! I welcome the broadening of this topic to include other MRL replicas because it seems that most of them eventually go on sale for up to 50% off. You can build a decent entry-level collection relatively inexpensively if you're patient, flexible and do some basic background research on historical precedents of a given MRL piece. The gamble, of course, is that some of their offerings will be discontinued without being discounted. I'm waiting for their voulge, German rapier, Arbedo Sword and hanger.
-Sean

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 10 Oct, 2003 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found a hilt-shot of the Dublin Civic Sword last night ("Swords and Hilt Weapons") but forgot to bring the image into work for scanning. I'll try to post the photo this weekend. For those who haven't seen the original, it's entire hilt, grip and rain flap included, is of gilded silver. The top of the original's pommel appears to be slightly domed. The weapon is shown in its scabbard, so I still have no idea about the blade. Old MRL catalogs note that the DCS is pictured in "The Dublin Civic Swords" so perhaps somebody with that book can describe to us the differences between the replica blade and the original. I hope to be able to view the orignal DCS next summer. If photography is allowed I'll snap it and post it in the albums. I'm increasingly tempted to get this replica and see if I could give it the DCS treatment--possibly clear lacquer over gold leaf? Gilded brasswork on the scabbard? Hmmm....

EDITED: THE REF IS NOT IN OAKSESHOTT

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

NOTE: I found a tiny image of the DCS and edited the orignal post to include the image. It's some help, but it's still difficult to tell what the blade looks like. It appears to have a fuller, then a diamond cross section.
-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the photo from "Swords and Hilt Weapons".

Attachment: 29.95 KB
App_03.tif.gif

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Experience with this replica?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic