Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Claymore Armoury updated website Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Larry New

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Claymore Armoury updated website         Reply with quote

Thomas Yeudall of Claymore Armoury in Scotland has updated his site with much more detailed info in regards to his Scottish pieces....lenths, weights. POB, etc are all given.........................Larry

http://www.claymore-armoury.co.uk/scottish_swords.html
Kirill R

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am actually looking for a good claymore and wasn't aware of this swordsmith. From the info on his website it seems this is a high end smith creating quality historical blades. I appreciate the information - thanks Larry!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirill R wrote:
I am actually looking for a good claymore and wasn't aware of this swordsmith. From the info on his website it seems this is a high end smith creating quality historical blades. I appreciate the information - thanks Larry!

Please do yourself a favor and do a search here for info on this maker. You'll find a variety of experiences with them. Also, if you're looking for a sharp, you may need to look elsewhere as I've heard he doesn't make sharps.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirill R wrote:

Kirill: While you are probably already aware of these sources A&A makes a good sharp claymore.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword100.html

Del-Tin also makes a good claymore:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...d+Claymore

The Albion Chieftain:
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...n-xiia.htm

All know quantities and reliable vendors of quality swords.

I might consider a custom maker after I researched them and found a good number of " happy " buying experiences.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Larry New

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

True, Thomas doesnt make them razor sharp, but I dont believe Del Tin offers them either. My experience was great and I spent well over 3k on two pieces. But others, it seems, were not as fortunate. I want to get an A&A one too oneday.
Vincent C

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All but one of their claymores weigh 6lbs+, one even weighs 8lbs. Are these even remotely accurate for these swords? I love the way these swords look, but the weights give me shivers.
Honor, compassion, knowledge.
Kirill R

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Chad. I was surprised at what I found in the forums. I think I will stay away from this smith.

Jean, maybe you are right, perhaps custom is the best way to go...

Vincent, yes indeed they seem heavy, but well balanced too. From my quick search it seems historical claymores were closer to 5.5lbs although this may depend on time period and/or other factors.
Stuart C

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirill R wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Chad. I was surprised at what I found in the forums. I think I will stay away from this smith.

Jean, maybe you are right, perhaps custom is the best way to go...

Vincent, yes indeed they seem heavy, but well balanced too. From my quick search it seems historical claymores were closer to 5.5lbs although this may depend on time period and/or other factors.

The Yeudall swords are definitely on the heavy side of where I think they ideally should be. However they are very nicely made, so if you aren't looking to actually swing them around (and I wasn't when I bought mine), then they are great looking pieces. I really liked the look of them compared to other makers, and acquired 4 of them in the end, over a period of three years or so (if I remember rightly). Only 3 of them were direct from Thomas, and one was second hand.

With regards to other peoples' experiences I think on these forums, the good vs bad ratio is 3:1. Larry, myself and one of my friends all ordered swords that were delivered without any problems (and in fact were extremely well received so far as I can tell). The last one I ordered would be a good five years ago, mind, and businesses can change. Past performance is not guarantee of future performance, etc...

The member that had the bad experience apparently lost a substantial deposit when he decided to cancel his order, but I think from careful re-reading of his explanation of why his deposit was lost - he states ( Wed 13 Jul, 2011) he didn't know Yeudall didn't produce sharps when he put down the deposit and then decided to cancel the order when he found out - that doesn't actually tally with his extensive discussion earlier this forum regarding Yeudall not producing sharps (e.g. on 11th June 2008 he claims to have talked to Yeudall about this very fact, apparently before ordering). I have always wondered if there was more to the whole affair, given the written record on these forums of that transaction going bad. The story just doesn't appear to hold up 100% when given a careful re-reading. No disrespect to anyone, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate and stating what I see when I read the member's post on the 13th July '11 and then look back at the posts in June 2008.

Fundamentally, everyone has to make their own judgement, but my experiences were good, and I would personally order another if I was in the market for more swords (I'm not -- life and interests evolve). My only negative is that they could certainly do with being lighter, and perhaps they would be if they were sharps.

[Disclaimer - I have absolutely no relationship with Thomas Yeudall or Claymore Armoury other than having previously purchased swords from him]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Claymore Armoury updated website
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic