Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > US model 1852 Navy presentation sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 25 Sep, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: US model 1852 Navy presentation sword?         Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to sword collecting. I have a sword that was a gift from my father that I would like more information about. We believe it is a US model 1852 Navy presentation sword made/used between World War I and World War II. I will attempt to attach some photos of the sword to this post.

It did not turn out well in the photos, but there is some beautiful engraving along both sides of the blade and the edge. The engraving includes anchors, eagles, flowers, a mast, a triton, an ax, flag with USN, and various other nautical figures.

I have many questions about the sword that I am hoping someone out there will be able to answer. Where should I look for a maker's mark or other identifying characteristic to find out who manufactured the sword and when? Is it the type of sword that I think it is? An aquaintance that looked at the sword was surprised that the curve in the blade was so slight for a model 1852.

Many more questions:
1. What are the sea creatures on the hilt and the scabbard? I was told that they are dophins, but they appear to have scales and other fish characteristics (not mammal like).
2. What is the significance of the oak leave and acorn motif?
3. What is the handle wrapped with? I know older sword used shark or ray skin. This feels like a synthetic, but it has an obvious uneven seam.
4. What is the significance of the Star of David and the bronze circle inside of it. The circle has a sword or cross on it and letters that I can't quite make out.
5. What can I do to restore and maintain the sword. There is some tarnishing of the bronze (verdi gris?) and the scabbard has some damage around the lacing.

I would be excited to receive any information about this family heirloom.

Thank you.

Attachment: 28.84 KB
DCP_0759.jpg

Attachment: 28.13 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 42.19 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 61.97 KB
[ Download ]

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Douglas A.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First, very nice pics. I will ramble a bit, but first, yes, it looks like a 1910-1940 ish sword from what the JPEGS show. Also it is not a presentation sword per se, all standard USN officer swords look this way. The original 1852 sword had a wider, saber like blade, but in 1872 (I forget the exact date) the blade became narrower, and has remained basically unchanged since that time. USN swords are mark USN, the same sword is also the sword for the Coast Guard, but the hilt and blade are marked USCG. Earlier swords often had finer etching and a fish skin blade, your sword is fish skin, the newer plastic grips are rather cheesy, IMHO.

First, the star is not a Star of David because it is geometrically different. The Star of David does not consist of two triangles combined together, but rather two, separate, interlocking triangles (which, in recent history, and often when displayed in one-color designs, usually does appear to be two triangles combined together).

I do not know the history of the star; however, but the blade specifications for both the U.S. and British military swords require the six-pointed star with the word "Proved" etched on the blade.

As best I can tell, the specification for the six-pointed star is historical in nature and was likely used to signify that the blade was manufactured using the Damascus steel method. Today, there is no requirement for Damascus steel blades; however, the six-pointed "Proved" star is required in the etch to signify that the blade meets the current military specifications. Even this use has lost its meaning, however, since replica swords intended only for wall-mounting incorrectly bear the symbol. Some are deeply etched, some do not have the brass "proved" disk, and some are plain. On the base of the blade, near the star, is where you would normally finder the maker, or more often, the distributor's name or markings. Germany, Spain UK and the US made these swords, not sure about yours.
The sword is often plated in gold or covered with gold wash, so when the plating goes (hope not) you simply treat as brass. Best to keep if clean, wipe all human oils off after handling it. Many military supply companies sell a sword display box

The sea creatures are a rather fanciful dolphin, both on the scabbard and on the quillon finial.

I need to research the Oak acorn symbology, but it is typical on many military swords, and most uniforms. Oak leaves and acorns are one a Navt Coast I saw dating from the 1830s. The oak tree is a symbol of great and enduring strength. Ships used to be built from oak. Oh, here is a quote on that

Cindee Herrick of the Coast Guard Museum explains that oak leaves are a symbol of authority dating back to Roman times and earlier. Roman emperors and senators were crowned with wreaths of oak leaves. The oak is an ancient fertility symbol of the male principal. For the Romans, it was a symbol of service to the state. In some cultures, the oak tree is holy. It has taken on civic authority in some cultures where marriages and trials were performed under an oak tree. All services except the Air Force use oak leaves and acorns on the visors of their combination hat. The Air Force has a motif of clouds and lighting bolts in silver on their service cap visor.
Douglas A.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WTF?! Well, I am not quite sure what I did to create such a garbled sentence in my first reply. I meant to write "I saw oak leaves and acorns are a naval uniform dating from the 1830s. There seems to be great usage of oak and acorns on uniforms or other symbols of civil and military authority, as such this would convey authority and strength; in short they are visual representations of the power of the state." Hope that clears up my previous gibberish.

Doug
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: still trying to trace this sword's history         Reply with quote

I'm still trying to track down the manufacturer of this sword. I have been unable to locate a maker's mark on the sword, but I did discover the word "Germany" engraved on the edge of the blade near the hilt. So I at least know it is of German make. Doug was able to give me the web site of a German sword maker, WKC, that was making U.S. military swords during the time frame that my family believes this sword was made and used. (Between WWI and WWII).

http://www.solingen-swords.com/produkte/saebel/am/index.html

I contacted WKC and received a rather terse reply that since all their records and dies had been destroyed during WWII they could not help me nor could any other German sword maker. Somebody must have a record as to the various German sword maker's marks and where they would be stamped on the blade? Confused Was the particular etched pattern on the blade standard to U.S. Navy swords, or can I use that as a clue as to who made this sword?

I'm asking for help in trying to narrow down who might have made this sword and a confirmation (correction?) as to when it was made.

Doug,
Thank you for all your help!

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > US model 1852 Navy presentation sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic