Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Persian bazubands and archery Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nadeem Ahmad

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Persian bazubands and archery         Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, I tried searching for "bazuband" but couldn't find any answer ...

I have seen a lot of photos of 16th - 19th C Iranian bazubands and they seem to show a deeply dished protection for the elbow. I'd have figured that this would hold the elbow constantly flexed (at around, maybe 20 - 30 degrees ...)

So my question is - what did Persian archers do when they wanted to shoot their bows? Correct thumb-ring technique requires a push-forward with the bow arm and a sudden snap straight. It seems like either the bazuband would severely get in the way here, or cause some damage to the tricep tendon. However some artwork seems to show some archers wearing bazubands.

I may be missing something in the fitting / sizing of bazubands as I've only seen photos - I know some of you know more and may have made re-creations too.

Thanks!
Nadeem
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The short answer is that bazubands would probably be worn over other defenses, either quilted or even mail, perhaps. This would pull the cupped section (which was typically only an inch and a half or two deep, in reality) away from the arm slightly. Full flexibility was probably not an issue.

-Gregory
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the push forward idea on a bow is not only limited to just the thumb ring method, or recurve bows but all archery.

in archery you have to think of yourself also a much as a spring as the bow. i shot a modern style recurve but the ideas are still the same. i'm using the stander 3 finger grip as apposed to a thumb ring because those are meant to be shot off of the opposite side of the riser, but leaving that arm out taught vs leaving it with a little bit of bend, increases accuracy in instinct shooting.

you push the bow as well as pull it as you draw back, leaving your arm in that kind of partial push allows you to somewhat "through" the arrow as you release the string. your increasing the force of the arrow as it's leaving the bow.

here's maybe a better way i can put it. force travels in a straight line with the arrow. the force begins when the string is released and transferred into the arrow - a tiny bit into the bow. as the arrow comes free from the string, that little bit of push you have in the bent arm transfers the remaining force from the bow into the arrow until it's totally free from the string. that was the way it was explained to me when i first picked up the hobby. but there are more traditional archers here that can maybe elaborate if i'm mistaken. Happy
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your right it does increase the force if you push forward at the moment you release it does increase the force but it also helps keep the arrow on target. I’ve been shooting traditional for 3 years and that’s what I’ve always been told whether it’s a recurve or a longbow that your supposed to follow through the shot when you release as for the bazubands I have no idea how they worked I’ve never seen one.
Nadeem Ahmad

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Didn't realise you push forward with three-finger archery, I've only ever shot thumb ring so don't really know anything about other disciplines!

Gregory - thanks for the info. I suppose the best idea would be to get hold of an antique / exact reproduction and just play with it I suppose ...

Lots of shirts in museums appear to be tucked into bazubands, but on miniatures they are usually displayed short-sleeved. Quilting - I figure that definitely would have been used :-)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Persian bazubands and archery
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic