Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass 15th c. Longsword "Deal of the Day" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Windlass 15th c. Longsword "Deal of the Day"         Reply with quote

FYI: The Windlass "15th c. Longsword" is in the "Deal of the Day" bin at MRL for $122 this weekend: http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-188-15th-century-longsword.aspx

Read the myArmoury.com review here: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_ws_15cls.html

I don't think much of this piece overall as-is, but it's a very useful collection of parts and certainly worth the DOTD price (and I just put my money where my mouth is).

Demonstrating the versatility of this sword, here's what I've done with just one of these. The Swedish sword uses the Windlass blade (with ricasso turned into tang) and the reversed/modified Windlass pommel. The side-ring C&T sword uses the modified guard with a homemade pommel and a cropped-tang H-T longsword blade. If I remember correctly, I broke the end of one of the quillons and had to shorten both as a result. With care, the originals could be straightened and recurved.

The scabbard chape is useful as well.

Attachment: 196.33 KB
swede_123.gif

Attachment: 148.52 KB
swede3_117.gif

Attachment: 175.32 KB
dallassword_135.gif

Attachment: 73.21 KB
download-3_983.gif

Attachment: 141.96 KB
download-4_971.gif

Attachment: 168.42 KB
download-6_143.gif

Attachment: 188.54 KB
download-7_213.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
John Apsega

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous. I especially like the single hand sword using the ring guard. How accurate is the ring guard on the single handed sword? Also what do you use to do the grinding on the blades and hilt components?
"With 2000 years of examples behind us we have no excuse when fighting, for not fighting well." T. E. Lawrence
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Apsega wrote:
Gorgeous. I especially like the single hand sword using the ring guard. How accurate is the ring guard on the single handed sword? Also what do you use to do the grinding on the blades and hilt components?

Thanks! You can read about that C&T sword here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=italian
As usual with my projects, the final piece was inspired-by and in-the-spirit-of as opposed to a reproduction of a known original.

I have a cheap and generally terrible $90 belt/disc grinder combo. It works well for things like eliminating the foot of that faceted pommel, tapering that pommel, removing the rough bits where I cut bars off the hilt, etc. Everything else is files and sandpaper, maybe a Dremel flapwheel sander.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the new Windlass. Could revisit these projects or go in a radically different direction. I have a collection of pommels, guards and blades, so this will go into that stew.

The faceted pommels like the one I created for the Swedish project tend to be early 15th c., which predates my main interest. Used in its original orientation and shape that pommel would be more appropriate for a late 16th/early 17th c. rapier or infantry sword. The single side ring guard would be appropriate for a field sword as well, so there could be an early English colonial period sword lurking in there. I'll definitely be trying out that idea with the H-T bastard sword blade and a narrow Albion blade I have.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm altering one for my brother. Re-gripped and a different pommel altogether.

I bought mine off Ebay for $75.00.

Murphy Cool

aka "Murphy"
See ya at Bristol Renaissance Faire!

The decisions we make, dictate the life we lead.

"I drank what?" -Socrates
www.celticfuryproduction.com
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's giving me all kinds of ideas, T.F.! Looking good!
Where did you get the pommel?
Given the ricasso and later guard style, it might work to match the Windlass to the "doorknob" type pommel I have and blue everything for a 1525-1550 German effect, which is what your project reminds me of. The diamond section could be flattened to hexagonal, which would be more appropriate with the ricasso. Lots of possibilities!

-Sean

T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Sean!

The pommel was from a Scottish Battle sword from Windlass.

The blade and crossguard from the Scottish Battle Sword were added to a home-made grip and ring pommel and is currently this:

The pommel was left over and when I was looking for a long sword for my brother, I thought the Windlass one would look good if I could "German" it up a little. The pommel was part of that and a new, all poplar and leather grip in a saxon style is making leaps towards the look I'm going for.
Now to grind up that crossguard a little....

Murphy Cool

aka "Murphy"
See ya at Bristol Renaissance Faire!

The decisions we make, dictate the life we lead.

"I drank what?" -Socrates
www.celticfuryproduction.com
Lewis Ballard

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean, I wanted to say that your "kitbashing" projects, and Kirk Lee Spencer's, are far and away some of the most fascinating posts to read here at myArmoury----at least for me. I really appreciate not only the handiwork you display, but the background research that you put into them, and it's always a pleasure to read through one of your threads and see the way disparate parts come together so well.

I just really like watching the process.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass 15th c. Longsword "Deal of the Day"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic