Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Atlantean sword and Valeria Sword from Conan blue prints Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Tonello Stefano

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Atlantean sword and Valeria Sword from Conan blue prints         Reply with quote

Hello I wanted to reproduce in 3d those two sowrds and I was looking for some blueprints of the originals , any help ?

thanks a lot for any answer...
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Atlantean sword and Valeria Sword from Conan blue prints         Reply with quote

Hi Tonello

I know Albion Armourers did an amazing recreation (with permission) of the Conan Atlantean sword so I'd suggest starting with them concerning any possible blueprints. There Filmswords section is at the following link :
http://www.filmswords.com/

Good Luck, Mac

Tonello Stefano wrote:
Hello I wanted to reproduce in 3d those two sowrds and I was looking for some blueprints of the originals , any help ? thanks a lot for any answer...

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Neil Gagel

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also know that Raven Armoury has done amazing Atlantean repros and Jeffrey Robinson has done some great ones (I think with the help of Fable Blades) as well. Also, there is a cheaper and arguably non-functional Conan series being done by Windlass Steelcrafts now.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Atlantean sword and Valeria Sword from Conan blue prints         Reply with quote

Tonello Stefano wrote:
Hello I wanted to reproduce in 3d those two sowrds and I was looking for some blueprints of the originals , any help ?

Good luck. The people who hold the copyrights for these swords don't give permission to reproduce easily or cheaply.

Albion/Filmswords pays for the right to produce replicas. I doubt they'll give out their designs as they paid a lot for them and are almost certainly not allowed to give them out.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Atlantean sword and Valeria Sword from Conan blue prints         Reply with quote

Tonello Stefano wrote:

What is your budget?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil Gagel wrote:
Jeffrey Robinson has done some great ones (I think with the help of Fable Blades) as well.

More specifically, it was a collaboration between Brendan Olszowy and Jeffrey Robinson, resulting in some rather high-end enterpretations of the Atlantean:

They also did a set inspired of the Father's Sword.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.

Last edited by Anders Backlund on Sat 21 Jan, 2012 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
They also did a set inspired of the Father's Sword.

Your links are broken. They give "forbidden" messages.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tonello Stefano

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello ,thanks for all the answers .... may be I wasn't clear ,but my task is not to recreate a real model but a computer graphic reproduction ....

there are tons of images around but I am confused about the different version with slight different details , like Marto , Albion , Chinese copies etc ...

I woudl mostly need a frontal and side Correct dimensions pictures and some close ups of the details ... Happy
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regardless of which swordmaker made the various versions of the swords, check out the work of graphic designer Ron Cobb, as he was the guy who actually came up with the concepts for the Atlantean sword and i believe the 'father's sword'. There is a softcover book of his which showcases some of the work that he did on the various films he's worked on which has some illustrations of the atlantean sword. If i find which box its in i'll post a couple of pictures from it.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Your links are broken. They give "forbidden" messages.

Ah, that would be disabled hotlinking. That's what I get for being lazy, I suppose. Anyway, it should be fixed now.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Tonello Stefano

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thankyou , but so you have no good pictures of the albion Atlantean sword that I could use for reproducing in a 3d software?
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_atlantean.html

Cheers. Show us how it turns out!
Tonello Stefano

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thankyou , the albion is the most faithful to the movie?

Btw do you have also the Valeria Sword reference pictures?

I will be making the sword in 3dsmax/ zbrush and reduce then the polycount to put in the Skyrim game as a downloadable mod ....

I may post some pictures here of the work in progress so you can check and eventually suggest changes or give your feedback if you are interested...
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tonello Stefano wrote:
Thankyou , the albion is the most faithful to the movie?

I'm not an expert, but Jody Samson, the smith who made the original blades, worked at Albion (in his own shop) and I handled the original Atlantean movie sword there once, when they were first going into production. My guess would be that Albion probably has the most accurate recreation.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Tonello Stefano

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Took a bit of time but I do not forget stuff...

So here is a preliminary low poly model blockut of the Atlantean sword I am working on ..
I want ti implement it as active model in the game Skyrim .. I hope to have made a good reproduction , the furter details like scales on the beasts on hild or other will be added later on the higher poly version in Zbrush ...

Any comment or critique is appreciated Happy ...

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9341/58332257.jpg
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Book by Ron Cobb         Reply with quote

Christopher Lee wrote:
Regardless of which swordmaker made the various versions of the swords, check out the work of graphic designer Ron Cobb, as he was the guy who actually came up with the concepts for the Atlantean sword and i believe the 'father's sword'. There is a softcover book of his which showcases some of the work that he did on the various films he's worked on which has some illustrations of the atlantean sword. If i find which box its in i'll post a couple of pictures from it.

Hello
I would be very interested in picking up the book you mentioned ... Any idea of the title ?
Thanks very much!
Tim

Tim Mathews
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tonello Stefano wrote:
Took a bit of time but I do not forget stuff...

So here is a preliminary low poly model blockut of the Atlantean sword I am working on ..
I want ti implement it as active model in the game Skyrim .. I hope to have made a good reproduction , the furter details like scales on the beasts on hild or other will be added later on the higher poly version in Zbrush ...

Any comment or critique is appreciated Happy ...

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9341/58332257.jpg

Looks OK..should fit nicely into Skyrim Happy
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17177/?tab=2...:|id=17177
Tonello Stefano

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well just couse was mentioned the above link ... I have made a reproduction of the Conan outfit ...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4793

Diversely my approach is not to take pictures of the movie , create a normal map after those picture and then apply on a low poly model , my process involves a remake by scratch model in high definition , then extract the normal maps ( the needed maps that make the 3d stand out ) and apply then on a low poly model . the difference between normal maps made out of a picture or out of a real 3d model is evident as involves real 3d data that otherwise is not present .

My reconstruction of the sword is based on "personal Skills" and picture to "imitate during the sculpt , soit may result in a non "perfect" reproduction but more an Inspired one ... I hope anyway to make it the most similar possible as I am doing it by hand sculpting and not using a 3d scanner .

The sword is still wip and I am increasing details with time ... so I will post more updates if you are interested in it ...
Tonello Stefano

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here another Wip ....

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2139/atlanteanwip.jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Atlantean sword and Valeria Sword from Conan blue prints
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: