Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Building ... half a sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Hohl

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Building ... half a sword         Reply with quote

Hi, I'm working on a somewhat unusual project; a sword prop inspired by a book. The catch is, that I want to take it to some shows, who say about sword-type things: "Not if it is sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. Not if it is weighty enough to bludgeon someone with a moderate-force swing". I'm afraid this disallows even a blunt or rebated steel blade, and I've seen rules for other shows which don't even allow props to leave the scabbard. My idea for this is to mount a sword hilt to a piece which is effectively a tang, plus a couple inches of blade or ricasso, just enough to make it stick in a scabbard. I can probably manage the tang and handle, including wrap, but I don't have the tools or materials to make a pommel or crossguard. My book source stipulates bronze for the fittings, though brass would do. Does anyone know of somewhere I can purchase a nice pommel and crossguard set, or have some other ideas? Thanks for your help.
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Japanese have a word for what you need... tsunagi... essentially a fake wood tang/blade to hold the hilt and all the bits and pieces together while the real blade is off in storage.

You can do the same thing for a European sword except that they were not origionally intended to be taken appart...
But in essence you could make a fake blade/tang that holds your hilt parts and scabbard together but in essence is completely non functional.

Sorry but your posts title now has "Eric the Half a Bee" stuck in my head
so returning the favor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-vxAFcQIU
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So you need a minimally decent appearing non-sword and presumably a sheath to disguise the mostly absent blade, Right? Couldn't you buy a cheap wall hanger, cut off all but three or four inches of the blade and glue it into the sheathe?
David Clark

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Ken. Go to Kultofathena.com or trueswords.com and get one of their wall hangers for about $30 or $40 and just put epoxy all up in the scabbard. I wouldn't actually cut the blade off as that may interfere with the balance of the sword while being worn. Wouldn't want it flipping and spinning around while walking would we?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Clark wrote:
I agree with Ken. Go to Kultofathena.com or trueswords.com and get one of their wall hangers for about $30 or $40 and just put epoxy all up in the scabbard. I wouldn't actually cut the blade off as that may interfere with the balance of the sword while being worn. Wouldn't want it flipping and spinning around while walking would we?

Hey, that's a real good idea!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alternatively you had to cut down the blade and it was glued into the scabbard you could first put weights in the bottom of the scabbard (probably placed inside) to keep it properly weighted down. I bet one of those 8oz pyramid or worm lead sinkers for fishing would do it after dropping epoxy in the bottom so it wouldn't rattle around.

The cool thing about cutting down that blade is that is you can get any kind of wall hanging scabbard to give whatever shape of "blade" you wanted to convey with whatever hilt you purchase.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the shows you plan on taking the prop to frown on "anything that can be used to bludgeon..." then a wall hanger glued into it's scabbard could still fall into their no-no list Sad It all depends on how paranoid they are Sad
David Hohl

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the wallhanger idea; that could make my life a lot easier. As far as the rest, I know that these shows tend to allow balsa or plastic blades painted up to resemble steel - hardly ideal, but understandable. The main goal is to stop anyone from getting hurt by either walking around in a crowded convention hall, or by being stupid. I think Brian's is a great idea; it'll let me either use a mostly empty scabbard, or build a fake blade, depending on how I feel. Thanks a lot for your advice.
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another option is to get the proper sword you like, and simply zip-tie the sword to the scabbard to prevent it from being drawn. Standard practice at gun shows.
Jason Dingledine

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Building ... half a sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic