Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 25: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Oct 25: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Spotlight:
Oakeshott Type XV Swords
An article by Nathan Robinson

Armour Class Mortuary Hilt Sword

A hands-on review by William Goodwin

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two more great articles! Congrats to Bill on his first review!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice review on the Mortuary sword. Maybe it's time to find a new name for this type. Mortuary sword has always bugged me, and, as the rewiew states, it is a 19th century misnomer. English Half-Basket isn't a very sexy name, though. Maybe we should have a contest - Find A New Name For Mortuary Swords! Big Grin

One question on the AC Mortuary - - I have handled a number of Hanwei Practical Mortuaries, and have found that the basket width tends to be narrow enough so that it chafes, irritates, and interferes with proper sword wielding for anyone with a fair sized hand. At a 4.5 inch basket width, the AC version should be wide enough to avoid this problem, but I would be happy if you could confirm that, Mr. Goodwin.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger,

Finding another name for the Mortuary would be interesting, but then I'd lose my nickname...

Back to the question, I own one of the P-C Morts. (sharp version) and yes the basket is a bit small. The A-C on the other hand (no pun intended) is nice and roomy, but not too large. I can wear a glove quite comfortably and still not drag any knuckles.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Nice review on the Mortuary sword. Maybe it's time to find a new name for this type. Mortuary sword has always bugged me, and, as the rewiew states, it is a 19th century misnomer. English Half-Basket isn't a very sexy name, though. Maybe we should have a contest - Find A New Name For Mortuary Swords! Big Grin

One question on the AC Mortuary - - I have handled a number of Hanwei Practical Mortuaries, and have found that the basket width tends to be narrow enough so that it chafes, irritates, and interferes with proper sword wielding for anyone with a fair sized hand. At a 4.5 inch basket width, the AC version should be wide enough to avoid this problem, but I would be happy if you could confirm that, Mr. Goodwin.

I am also not very happy with the name.

The basket is quite wide, maybe even too wide (don't know the historical size of this baskets, historical pieces tend to be rather nonexistant on the continent), but I can fit my quite big hand easily into it, and have enough freedom to do every move I want.
Patrick Jones

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: blade length         Reply with quote

Good review, Bill!
I'm impatiently waiting for UPS to deliver Chris Goerner's Armourclass baskethilt, and your review of the Armourclass Mortuary sword makes me think that will be my next sword purchase. Big Grin I notice that your review specifies a blade length of about 84 cm (33 5/16"), while the Armourclass website mentions a 76 cm (29.9") blade. Is yours a customized version?

Cheers!

Patrick
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: blade length         Reply with quote

Patrick Jones wrote:
Good review, Bill!
I'm impatiently waiting for UPS to deliver Chris Goerner's Armourclass baskethilt, and your review of the Armourclass Mortuary sword makes me think that will be my next sword purchase. Big Grin I notice that your review specifies a blade length of about 84 cm (33 5/16"), while the Armourclass website mentions a 76 cm (29.9") blade. Is yours a customized version?

Cheers!

Patrick

Hiya Patrick,
Thanks! You are correct about the website length, but I believe, not for certain, that my blade was cut from the same batch as the A-C Schiavona's. They have the 84cm blades. Yea, Chris told me that he had sent the basket-hilt out the other day. It's a REAL nice sword and I bet you'll be very pleased with it. I know that my next purchase from Armour Class will be the Tower hanger Proto-Mort or the Ring and Shell guard hanger.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also like to extend my thanks to Bill for this nice review..

Well done Bill!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I'd also like to extend my thanks to Bill for this nice review..

Well done Bill!

Thank you Patrick. Since it was my first review, I was a bit un-nerved on how it would turn out.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 25: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic