Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pole Axe Makers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Pole Axe Makers?         Reply with quote

As I have been trying to find the exact pole axe of my personal tastes staying in context of historically correct, I have found it by armory Marek. here is a link to that item

http://www.armorymarek.com/public/default/use...rs/w47.jpg

now all in all I will be making this purchase, the sad fact is that I will be paying 2/3 the cost of the item for shipping. as this is quite disheartening to my pocket book, I still feel the item is worth the shipping cost.

I was wondering if there was any other high end makers in the US that had a similar pole axe of my tastes along there lines of the above. So far I have found others but I do question the integrity of their weapons and the historical correctness.

thanks for your help,
chris

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arms & Armor does some nice pole arms. They don't have quite what you are looking for but it might be worth talking to them about a custom job.

http://armor.com/pole232.html

You might also check out Anselm Arms
I've seem some nice hammers from them although I've never seen any polearms
Christopher VaughnStrever

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yea, I have their burgudian pole axe and I am happy with it, though I would imagine that a custom piece for what I am looking for would run me into the high 400 or 500 dollar mark with A&A, and that would be right at the cost for one from armory marek.

I'll probably send over an email to A&A in the long run, but I would feel kind of out of place asking one maker to produce a similar copy/replica that another maker has already in his catalogue. especially if we are talking a 50 to 75 dollar difference

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been looking for something very similar, thanks for posting! Seems like there are very few people making poleaxes with a hammer face and spike.

I tried contacting Arms & Armor about a custom version of their Burgundian poleaxe but haven't heard back yet, hope you have better luck.

Another option would be to look at Lutel. Their "Two-handed war hammer 17017" looks like it would make a suitable poleax if mounted on a long enough pole. I'd personally prefer a longer top spike, but perhaps they'd do a custom of that.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hanson wrote:
I've been looking for something very similar, thanks for posting! Seems like there are very few people making poleaxes with a hammer face and spike.

I tried contacting Arms & Armor about a custom version of their Burgundian poleaxe but haven't heard back yet, hope you have better luck.

Well, i contacted A&A for a custom version of their English Bill a few months ago and they just finished it and should be shipping in a week or two at the latest. (Customized by having hardened edges and just the head that I will mount myself ).

Anyway, my point is that your e-mail may have gotten lost or forgotten about and not read and I would send it again: I have found that on the Internet e-mail seems to get lost occasionally in cyberspace limbo or simply gets delete unread by error, so when I don't get a reply from a maker I know is generally reliable I just re-send. Wink

A&A seems to have been extremely busy this Summer/Early Fall and in the past I have had to prod them with a little extra " nudge " when a project seemed to be forgotten about. Wink By the way, with my English Bill Craig got back to me with regular updates without any prompting from me.

To get back to Crhistopher's question: Custom would probably be the best route and A&A is one of the obvious choices, but a full custom job as opposed to modifying one of their standard production models might cost closer to $1000 than $500 depending on what you ask for !

At the same price range I would also consider asking Michael Pikula for a quote and if he wants to do a poleaxe ?

BKS would also be a maker to look at for a quote or design as they do seem to make axe heads and other polearms.

I do appreciate your ethics in respecting the work of the maker you where looking into buying a poleaxe and not asking someone else to copy their work, but if you go back to a similar design based on a period original there should be no issue except price/quality consideration in my opinion. I do agree that if I saw someone's worked that I liked I wouldn't take it to another maker if it was just a matter of saving $50 to $75 as you wrote.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sat 12 Nov, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marek has been easy to work with in my experience. If you think you like his stuff I'd say give it a try. Yeah the shipping is going to stink but that's part of the deal when you buy out of Europe. A&A custom might be your best option in the states, although I would recommend trying to find a museum picture of what you want. They have no problem doing work from period originals. Don't know how they feel about copying other peoples current work, but to me, its poor form to ask an artist to copy another artist's work.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, my point is that your e-mail may have gotten lost or forgotten about and not read and I would send it again: I have found that on the Internet e-mail seems to get lost occasionally in cyberspace limbo or simply gets delete unread by error, so when I don't get a reply from a maker I know is generally reliable I just re-send. Wink

Yep, that's exactly what happened. Got an email from Craig after this post clearing things up.

Btw, I never meant to imply anything about them, I have a couple of their pieces purchased at the Minnesota Renfaire and like their work.

I would also second the suggestion to check with Michael Pikula, his work seems very good and pretty reasonably priced. That partizan he did is pretty wicked. That was yours, right?
Jeroen Averhals

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have this one from Kasto armoury.
http://www.arms-armor.com/halberds-detail_398
I think it is lighter and better balanced than the ones from Marek.
I think it is cheaper too.
Perhaps you could just order the head and mount it yourself to save on shipping?

Jeroen

Attachment: 56.29 KB
pollaxe.JPG

Vigor et Veritas
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hanson wrote:
Quote:

Yep, that's exactly what happened. Got an email from Craig after this post clearing things up.

Btw, I never meant to imply anything about them, I have a couple of their pieces purchased at the Minnesota Renfaire and like their work.

I would also second the suggestion to check with Michael Pikula, his work seems very good and pretty reasonably priced. That partizan he did is pretty wicked. That was yours, right?

Yes that was mine and he nailed the design perfectly the way I wanted it but the design details on how best to make it effective and lively i.e. blade thickness, distal taper, the logical way in having the languettes hook into the blade socket etc .... where his very good engineering sense that matched and surpassed the way I would have liked it done if I was micromanaging the project as he understood perfectly the good compromises between " railroad engineered " and good handling qualities of the Partizan.

In other words, he listens to what the client wants and gives very good feedback during the early design process where most of the decisions about a design are decided on and keep one very well informed and consults before making any important design changes he might feel are important. He also seems to do his research to produce period accurate pieces when period accuracy is a major objective as opposed to a more fantasy design.( Although, I don't think he makes many fantasy pieces and tends to stay close to historical plausibility in most of his pieces ).

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Averhals wrote:
I have this one from Kasto armoury.
http://www.arms-armor.com/halberds-detail_398
I think it is lighter and better balanced than the ones from Marek.
I think it is cheaper too.
Perhaps you could just order the head and mount it yourself to save on shipping?

Jeroen

Ordering just the head, by whatever maker, should help save on shipping and even more so when shipping from very far away where shipping a 7' piece might become more expensive than the piece !

Depending on the haft the work involved can be just tapering a haft for a socket or more difficult if one has to inlet languettes completely into the sides of the haft or halfway proud.

Square or octagonal cross sections can also be a lot more work and challenging depending on one's skills with hand or power tools.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pole Axe Makers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic